Samias's Art Stuff

Samias

HNNNGGG. Envious of your amazing anatomy and awesome looking feet. I love nicely drawn shoes and I'm terrible at it myself. ;w;

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice as usual, but to be honest i liked the direction of the mouth more before you colored it

Yeah, I ended up changing it just because I had changed the eyes and the old mouth wasn't working so much anymore. She ended up looking like a Disney princess moreso than my usual drawing style.

HNNNGGG. Envious of your amazing anatomy and awesome looking feet. I love nicely drawn shoes and I'm terrible at it myself. ;w;

SHOES ARE THE BANE OF MY LIFE you don't have to be jealous of the way I draw the same footware for everyone XD

So I was working on cleaning up another sketch but then I read a book called The Beautiful Land and I really had to start drawing the characters. Of course I ended up starting with the most difficult one for me to draw since I'm a masochist or something like that... Old people qq but actually Charles Yates is a pretty cool villain and has this clinical coldness that I am so very fond of in evil characters.

tumblr_mqw5qdj1Bi1qixsfqo1_r3_500.png

Edited by Samias

I forwarded that pic to the author of the book and he said it was like the best thing that happened with the book since it was published ;o; so much happiness inside~ On that note, I'm also trying to work on some shirt stuff so I pumped out a design of my #1 OC Samias again. Of course. Yeah I'm so selfish doing what I want all the time

tumblr_mr3f4vCpMk1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

In that particular universe, Samias is a dragon and the dragons basically have familiar-like powers to launch at enemies that they call their Dragonfire. So basically Samias is being a big showoff!

I have a fundraiser thing here but this is probably the first and last time I'll mention it in here. On that note I started drawing a comic and all I have is a bunch of rough pages but hopefully following the story is okay?

[spoiler=big pages]

tumblr_mr6najYZs41qixsfqo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr6najYZs41qixsfqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr6najYZs41qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr8ibk3NQ41qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr8ibk3NQ41qixsfqo2_1280.jpg

Edited by Samias

Samias, you have a wonderful gallery! I have a special fondness for artwork by animators and animation students, so it's great to read through a topic like this.

Regarding the comic: I guess there's a dragon girl/woman and her friend, and they both know she has something important. The mystery man doesn't have high opinions of their kind, but claims to come in peace, even though he threatened them. That's what I'm getting.

You might want to revise the paragraph at the top of page 3, if you haven't thought of that already. The two sentences starting with "But" don't flow well together. Actually, you could probably move some of her inner thoughts to the previous page, since page 2 feels a little disconnected from the rest at such an early point in the story.

On the 4th page, why is she looking down? Is something happening at her feet?

Looks good so far, though. I like the pacing; you've set up a couple of plot points early in the story.

Thanks for the revision critique! I did in fact revise that paragraph on page 3, but I never scanned the revision since the text will ultimately be redone for clarity via computer. On page 4, I'll have to revise the eye direction as she's simply turning around as she draws her sword, so good call there. Overall I think some panel composition will be shifted around to better accommodate the text. I'm planning on cleaning up all the drawings and adding colour so the lines like "Look at how we stick out" will make more sense at a glance.

My real test will probably be the action scenes, which come into play pretty soon! Needless to say Samias doesn't trust mystery hooded guy much either, but she really wants to know who he is!

Thanks! I'll probably slow down on sharing the roughs just because I'm working on a buffer to launch this thing sometime in the future as a finished product. Anyway, working some more on the coloured character pics, I finished the leading man, who will be showing up... sometime. He's the fire to Samias's ice, in a literal sense. As for the colours I had to keep it limited so the leather bits are a lot more red here so they could double for parts of the fire.

tumblr_mrelwtMRCG1qixsfqo1_1280.png

Love your choice of colors on leading man there! They really tie his design together.

His pose has a lot of personality, too. Though, I think in a few of your portraits your swords have the tendency of looking a little...light? Like, here he looks like he should be expending extra energy to hold a sword up like that, when gravity is working against him on the blade end, yet his lower body in contrast looks kind of relaxed.

Thanks for all the comments! I didn't want to get spammy here when I don't have anything to post. Thanks for the feedback on the artwork, maybe I'll find time to tweak it sometime. And yes, follow my tumblr, it's where I'm most active :)

Anyway, I've been working hard on getting some form of my shirt designs ready for PAX Prime. I'll probably update my tumblr about this next week when I can show off the shirt itself with fingers crossed that it looks good. However, for this run I ultimately reduced everything to black and white so I could get the cost per unit down to $25 each. I used Illustrator which I rarely do but the vectorization turned out better than I hoped. So much easier than using Flash or Photoshop once I knew what I was looking for x_x

samias_chibi_shirt_bwver.png

I printed 12 of these, for myself, family, and friends. In the future it'll be nice if I can do a reprint of this or the original colour version, but this is a start. The blue is more or less the shirt's colour, but I won't really know how awesome/not awesome it'll be for about another week XD;

• 2 weeks later...

D'aww thanks. I didn't reply right away because I'd been on vacation and now I've started school back up, except this time it's 3D stuff so I don't get to doodle in class as much since I really, really need to pay attention to learn the new software. As such, haven't done anything spectacular lately. BUT STILL... VARYING QUALITY AND DONENESS AHEAD

annie-wip.jpg

tumblr_msvv3xk3EG1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_msvwlwVLhV1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_msw6synZBf1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mswb10zYOY1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

I'm sorry this is a selfie, but I really wanted to show off the shirts as a finished product yessss

http://24.media.tumblr.com/fa44cbeca4fabc8b176c3bbb5fabc14d/tumblr_msa27mQnLh1qixsfqo1_500.jpg

cnaslduyhalvdyihafukwtka so unfair that beauty mark on your face is perfect!! mine is at an unflattering place .-.

...oh and cool shirt too lol

D'aww thanks. I didn't reply right away because I'd been on vacation and now I've started school back up, except this time it's 3D stuff so I don't get to doodle in class as much since I really, really need to pay attention to learn the new software. As such, haven't done anything spectacular lately. BUT STILL... VARYING QUALITY AND DONENESS AHEAD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33988813/annie-wip.jpg

is she about to split a teddy? O_o

the eye on our left looks like a flat surface.

Aw, hope your classes go well for you.

I love your characters' poses and expressions! They all seem like people that would be fun to hang out with.

Don't know if this is helpful at all, but I think you could afford to be more bold with your color choices for paintings like that 2nd pic in your post. The colors seem a little watered down, like they were all picked through...using the multiply brush with purple paint or something. :/

the eye on our left looks like a flat surface.

Don't know if this is helpful at all, but I think you could afford to be more bold with your color choices for paintings like that 2nd pic in your post. The colors seem a little watered down, like they were all picked through...using the multiply brush with purple paint or something. :/

Ah, these are all helpful tips. I always struggle with eyes and making them follow the skull, mostly because in my pencil sketches they're still very cartoonish. And yeah, I lean on my purples a lot and things end up a little muddy. But the more I practice, the more I hope to get the hang of things.

But thanks for the comments. I'll probably have a lot more pencil sketches since at least one of my drawings requires 20 sketches a week on paper.