Impact: Chapter 1

ReformBlade

"Er... not that I can really get to medical school anymore, but it doesn't hurt to have on-the-job learning experiences, right? But maybe some other flying fortress would notice that we crashed and come to our rescue! I mean, the economy is still global and each fortress has its own unique products, so people will eventually realize ours went missing!"

He smiled, his granddaughter may be young, but he could see that she'd one day have a bright future. There was also the matter of calling for help. Surely another fortress would notice something was up?

"Don't worry! As soon as we get out of this mess, we can find you a great medical school to go to... I'd start one up myself if I had to! I'm sure that help will come at some point, we just gotta hold out."

Holding out could prove difficult, some of the boys didn't seem to get along too well... but most of them seemed nice enough.

"...sorry to break up your reunion, but d'you think you could help me set up some sort of shelter?

"Ah, no problem, kiddo, I'm sure Caliban won't mind lending a hand too. We could hang some stuff from those trees over there. I'm not sure what we can find from the rubble. Maybe we could make some sort of tent for now... who knows, we could even make a house out of wood! I heard that they used to do that hundreds of years ago."

He looked over at Cyrus, he certainly wasn't going anywhere for now. It would be bad if something happened to him in his state, I have a feeling having him around could be handy.

"Kayla, could you keep an eye on him for now? With his luck, he might need some first aid."

Edited by Folgore Red

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bah, I'm not an addict or anything. It's just an occasional thing, I don't even smoke everyday so I think I can handle it." Cyrus responded "Pleasure to meet you both, though I wish it were under better circumstances. Trust me, I won't be useless once I get my legs back.......... And come on twenty-two isn't old!"

"Kayla, could you keep an eye on him for now? With his luck, he might need some first aid."

"Sure thing, Grandpa!" Kayla chirped back, happy to be of service and elated from Alan's support. Truthfully, she'd prefer to be out and about with the rest of the men to salvage goods, but Alan entrusted her with the task of taking care of Cyrus, so she did was she was told and is eager to please.

"Bah, I'm not an addict or anything. It's just an occasional thing, I don't even smoke everyday so I think I can handle it. Pleasure to meet you both, though I wish it were under better circumstances. Trust me, I won't be useless once I get my legs back.......... And come on twenty-two isn't old!"

"You just seemed and tasted like the type to chain smoke under stress, so I couldn't help but assume," she explained and stuck her tongue out at him. "Anyway, it's nice to meet you, too. As I said earlier, anyone over twenty seems old to me, and I'm starting to really like this nickname! But in all seriousness, how's your condition? I know you can't move your legs, but do you have any injuries that need to be taken care of? Like scratches and the like. Checking your pulse wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I can't really give you a full checkup, especially since there isn't any equipment readily available. Plus we have no idea what your powers do to your body, so it's even more important to check for information on your vitals. I might not look like much, but Grandpa taught me a thing or two, so don't worry about me screwing anything up! I just need the okay to touch you, since... well... you know."

Edited by Huang Yueying

Kaden

"I said that because you'd happy to watch the world burn just to get your goddamn revenge!" If Janson hadn't walked away, Kaden would have continued shouting, but then the other guy who'd tried to break them up mentioned his sister.

"Look at this... Just look at everything around us! Charlotte's dead... Or she won't be able to survive... Dammit, dammit, dammit, it's all my fault!" Shouldn't have gone off today, should have just stayed home with her... Gaaaaaaaaaah!

He sat on the floor, taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down. "I-It's Kaden, by the way."

"Right, Alan, I think I'll leave directions to you. I'm unsure of how to build anything like that, myself. I'll still help out, though, you can bet on that." Finally getting something done around here. At least everyone's done freaking out. Things were looking up for their little group, but someone was still a bit upset.

Kaden. He continued to freak out, as Dustin sighed. "You've just gotta keep your hopes up, alright? It's tough, but you can. Come on." He held his hand out for Kaden, wanting him to come along to help make some shelter. "You're not hurt, right? You can help us make a shelter. We're gonna make it, and..." he hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether or not he should say it, "and... we'll find your sister, okay? She'll still be alive. If she knew that her brother was out here looking for her, there's no way she'd die." He just wanted to cheer him up. Dustin could only hope that Kaden's sister had survived, else he'd be in for it later.

"I suppose a checkup wouldn't be too bad given the situation, go ahead and do what you need. Besides, who would object to a cute girl giving them a check up?" He said with a chuckle

'Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you just signed your own death warrant, nice going dumbass'

It took Selena a little while yet to be fully aware of her surroundings, though it seemed that the same girl who had delivered that electric charge had reunited with her grandfather. Finally managing to regain some sense of normalcy, Selena stood.

"Geez, that was weird... Kayla, was it? I'd like to talk to you a little later... alone." Selena mentioned to the younger girl, giving Cyrus a glare as he cracked a lame pun.

"I suppose a checkup wouldn't be too bad given the situation, go ahead and do what you need. Besides, who would object to a cute girl giving them a check up?"

Kayla raised an eyebrow at his comment. "Are you, like, hitting on me or something? Just so you know, I'm not dating anyone less amazing than my grandpa. He can box and paint and beat you up if you're not careful." She frowned a bit; the girl was used to guys making passes at her, but this kind of thing coming from someone aiming to become a professional is unnerving to her.

"Geez, that was weird... Kayla, was it? I'd like to talk to you a little later... alone."

"Sure thing, miss!" She turned her head toward the red-haired lady and cracked a smile, but something about the way she spoke left her feeling uneasy. "Was it really my fault that she passed out? Is she angry at me? I don't think I can explain myself to her without sounding weird." She then turned back to Cyrus looking rather crestfallen. "Anyway, tell me how you're feeling right now and take off that coat, old man. We need to check for any other injuries, and it's much easier to roll up your sleeves without having an extra layer of clothing to worry about."

"I'm feeling exhausted right now to be honest, this is much worse than when I healed Selena." Cyrus said as he was about to pull of his coat before remembering something "Uh listen Kayla, there's a gun in my coat so don't freak on me when I pull it out okay?" As he slowly pulled out the gun and set it to the side on top of his jacket

'I really need to get a look at that thing, see how many rounds are left and what shape it's in'

"I'm feeling exhausted right now to be honest, this is much worse than when I healed Selena. Uh listen Kayla, there's a gun in my coat so don't freak on me when I pull it out okay?"

"Yeah, sure." Kayla rested her chin in her palm and glanced at the primitive weapon. "I didn't even know these things still existed and worked anymore. This is probably what woke me up earlier." She pressed the back of her hand against Cyrus' forehead. "Looks like you don't have a fever and you're not bleeding anywhere, so that's good." She then took out a notebook with a pen lodged in the spiral out of her pocket, took his pulse, and jotted down the number for future reference. "Pulse seems a little quick, but judging from the flush on your face, it's because you're smitten with me," Kayla stuck her tongue out at him again and rapped on his knee with her knuckles, noting the lack of reaction. "Can you feel your legs at all?"

"Oh indeed, how could I not be attracted to such a woman? Humor, personality and good looks all rolled into one" Cyrus joked with a wink. Growing serious he admitted "No, I can't feel my legs at all. I wouldn't have known you touched it if I wasn't looking"

Quickly growing tired of the banter between Cyrus and Kayla, Selena moved towards the pair, setting herself down beside Cyrus.

"Won't refuse a checkup, huh? Well then, here, let me help, Kayla." Selena interjected with a serene smile, holding her hand out to Kayla.

"Now, I'm not the one who knows what to do, so you'll have to guide me... it might help to pinpoint exactly what's wrong if we could... get under his skin?" Selena said with a deliberately sweet voice, as her outstretched finger shifted to a razor edged scalpel.

"You can't feel a thing at all, right Cyrus? Perfect anaesthesia~"

MArcus wants to join the search? Fine by me... "Just try to... keep up I guess..." With no one else to yell at, Janson's confidence quickly crumbled. Shaking and just the slightest bit jittery, he still forged onward, wherever that was. His aim was back towards the crash site, hoping to scavenge a potential storehouse that had fallen. Just by looking up, the sky city seemed to stretch forever, however it was in absolute disarray, like rocks and bricks bunched up into a corner. "H-How did we survive that?" Janson started crying, the heave of his shoulders giving it away, "Why can't this just be a bad dream... Why?" He was so confused and pissed off, he decided to unleash all of his pent up emotions in one burst, turning and punching a tree as hard as he could with his bare fist. He cried out, clutching it, but ultimately he only cried silently. He felt he was a freak, something to be toyed with. "I just keep getting healthy, why am I doing this?! There is NO reason for this, I can't STAND IT!" He slammed his broken hand into the tree again, only this time he merely grunted. Tears lining his cheeks, Janson sniffed and turned to Marcus. "... I'm sorry you had to see that... I don't know if I can take this, to be honest. I think I'm going to go crazy if this keeps up..." Another sniffle, and Janson moved forward a step, took a deep breath, then kept on moving. "But I'm not going to go down without a fight. God may have abandoned me, but I'm not abandoning the only people who can possibly make this work. Fuck that... I ain't no quitter, I'm goddamn JANSON."

Kayla ignored the flirty quip, though it did make her blush a bit.

"No, I can't feel my legs at all. I wouldn't have known you touched it if I wasn't looking"

This was extremely alarming to Kayla. "Do you think it might be paralysis? This is so strange... It can't be delayed trauma from the fall, either, unless maybe you hit your head." She grumbled a bit, trying to figure out the logic behind the lack of feeling in his legs before realizing that logic had no place anymore and then the lady interrupted her train of thought.

"Won't refuse a checkup, huh? Well then, here, let me help, Kayla. Now, I'm not the one who knows what to do, so you'll have to guide me... it might help to pinpoint exactly what's wrong if we could... get under his skin?"

"W-Woah there, lady!" she squeaked, instinctively backing away from her and falling on her bum in the process, "I'm not a surgeon: that's my grandpa, and I don't think amputating or dissecting his leg out in the open is sanitary or smart. Plus, we don't even know how about the supply situation and I can't stitch him up to stop the bleeding. Just p-please... put the scalpel away."

"That healing ability I have seems to have some serious repercussions, this might be some kind of temporary paralysis." Cyrus mused before hearing what Selena said. "Woah woah woah! Hey come on Selena, that's not funny! My legs are just shot for the moment, they'll get better." He said in terror

With a sigh, Selena flipped her finger back, the scalpel retracting as she did so. Standing with a bit of trouble, Selena took a few steps away from the pair of them.

"I guess so, huh? Makes sense, I'm pretty useless at the whole medic thing..." Selena noted, as she kept walking toward the foliage. reaching the end of the clearing.

"I guess I'll leave you two be... maybe I'll try to hunt something... not like an engineer is any use in a barren place like this." She finished with a wave as she began to enter the mass of plant life, muttering slightly under her breath.

"... what other use is there for a weapon, anyway...?"

Marcus winced as the other man let loose, but otherwise didn't make any move to stop him. Everyone had a right to be upset after the events who knows how many hours ago.

For that matter.

I'm kind of with him on that... What use am I? All I can do is listen. I don't have healing powers, or metal hands, or whatever?

"But I'm not going to go down without a fight... ...I'm goddamn JANSON."

Marcus admired the man's courage.

"Hey, none of us had any idea. We'll all get through this together."

Without saying much more, Marcus walked off a ways on his own, listening. Even through the earplugs, he could hear a lot. Animals, wind, even some people dying alone or with loved ones.

He shuddered.

For the sake of everyone else... I know more about these machines than probably everyone else around here, aside from that mechanic. If I'm gone, what happens?

Kayla felt a little bad that Selena seemed dejected when she left, but she couldn't quite comprehend what she just saw. Her finger turned into a scalpel right before her eyes and then it reverted to normal. "Uh... I think your checkup's over. Um... are you sure your legs are going to get better or did you just say that to get her to leave? How did she make that scalpel suddenly appear and disappear? Does she have cybernetics or something? But those shouldn't even be able to work right now. Should I, uh... ask someone to help you up or something?" she asked, not even turning to look at Cyrus. She simply sat on the ground, frozen in terror.

Cyrus was relieved when Selena put the scalpel away, though a tad bit concerned that she seemed so disappointed. "That would be her "Power" she can morph her hands into objects." lowering his voice to a whisper he continued "I don't think she's right in the head at the moment, she had to kill her best friend as the fortress was crashing and it took a toll on her mind"

"I actually do think my legs will get better, but no telling how long. Might be a few minutes, hours, tomorrow, or never maybe." Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Cyrus spoke again "I'd just like to sit up against something. This tree should be fine" He said as he scooted over too it with coat and gun laying his lap.

Seeing how disturbed Kayla was Cyrus attempted to take her mind off it "Wanna talk for a while? I'm certainly not going anywhere sometime soon"

"Heh.... Maybe you all will. Maybe..." Janson walked on, an odd sense of euphoria washing over him. He was a whee bit scared but at the same time he couldn't' complain. "It's odd though... the things I can do now that I know I'll just be fine later. I guess that makes me a perfect scout and soldier of sorts. Good thing I'm such shit with guns and I'm built like a friggin twig. Who knows, maybe I'll rise up to the challenge?" It was an interesting scene, Janson trying to think positively. A crumpled hand held gently in his other hand, he made his way towards more wreckage, entering a completely fallen over building. He made note that it seemed to be, or was, an office building. glass everywhere, desks smashed against the 'wall' that was now a floor, Janson barely even made it in the doorway without squeezing past a few things. On the upside, he found a rather sturdy cane for use at the moment. "Seems to be in good condition... Well, the dead have no use for these things anymore, I'll take it." It was a poor attempt at trying to toughen up, but it was all he could find at the moment, not wanting to think of the nauseating smell that was pounding his nose.

Getting out of there, Janson looked up again at the towering city, marveling yet again at the size, "How did we even get this thing off the ground again...?" He mused before trying another block of rubble to examine. This one seemed... just as nauseating, but he would deal. Walking inside, he could see even more smashed crap everywhere. Chairs, tables, various pieces of paper strewn about, glass and concrete littering everything. What he noted the most was that the building seemed to be right-side up this time around. "That's a good start..." he spoke out loud. Blood aside, the place seemed a mite cleaner than the last building he looked in, taking a small taste of solace in that. Searching gave him nothing in the first room, merely dust and blood on his already practically destroyed jacket. Sifting through the wreckage brought him to a most peculiar discovery. A brokendown fridge, stuffed away in a corner of the room, seemingly smashed and obviously broken. More than curious, Janson looked inside and found a few mildly cold bags of meat, drinks, some fairly disgusting smelling things mixed in as well. "Well... It's better than... nothing?" He couldn't stomach most of it but he did take all of the meat bags and drinks, opening a bag and sniffing it just to make sure it was still alright. "Sweet... it actually smells decent! Just gotta get it back to people quick, this is a bandaid solution for the moment... Man we've got out work cut out for us..." Taking one of said drinks, Janson took a very small swig, a quality assurance check if you will. Satisfied, he put the cap back on and exited the building, holding everything under his arm. "Hey Marcus, get over here and give me a hand!" the irony of the statement made him almost laugh. "I really do need an extra hand here don't I...?"

"Power... again with the power thing. Apparently I have one, but I don't even know what it is. Luckily it's not the touch of death, though, but this is still bugging me." Kayla sighed and sat down next to Cyrus. Alan told her to look after Cyrus anyway, so she assumed it wouldn't hurt to laze around with the old man. "I wish there was something I could do for her but... she scares me. Plus this powers thing is weirding me out, and I think I might have one but I don't even know what it does. And to top everything off, we're forced to rely on strangers for help and support and company and almost everyone's dead. I don't even understand how I could survive through that wreck. Why didn't I die with my parents? Where's my little brother? That sort of thing's been eating away at me at the back of my mind. I'm afraid that there isn't much to salvage.So much chemical waste must've seeped into the food and water supplies, if it wasn't already burned. Nobody knows what's safe and what's poisonous on Earth's surface either, so scavenging for edible and palatable foods is a gamble." She sighed again and hugged her knees. "Do you think we'll be able to signal for help? Will help even come? What if these... powers end up eating at our bodies like a cancer? What about radiation poisoning? I'm sorry... I guess I'm really paranoid right now."

"I can't answer most of that, sorry." Cyrus said as clamped his hand on Kayla's shoulder. Feeling a tingling sensation as he did so. "We should consider ourselves lucky that we made it through, would I rather that this not happened at all? You can bet, but we have to make the most of what we have now. There's no chance that the other fortresses would abandon us, even if they don't care about the people here there was so much tech on the fortress that can be salvaged and repaired. You're probably right about the food and water thing, there's no telling what is gonna be safe to eat and what isn't. Radiation will be a problem too, it almost certainly started to leak as we crashed. The powers though I have literally no idea how they work, it's strange that some of us are acquiring them but some aren't. Is it possibly something with our DNA? "

Giving a sigh he continued "I'm paranoid as well, who would have ever thought that the fortress would fall? It almost seems impossible."

"Sweet... it actually smells decent! Just gotta get... ...for us..."

Marcus turned. Obviously his companion had found somthing. He started towards the voice, stopping to search a few more corpses. Nothing, aside from some currency (ha).

"Hey Marcus, get over here and give me a hand!"

He started jogging, but stopped after not very long, out of breath.

A bit later, he was standing next to Janson, hauling as much as he could carry.

Which really wasn't a lot, and he even had to set that down a lot to pant. But hey, it was something.

Kayla flopped over onto her side away from Cyrus, curled up into a fetal position. "Can DNA even mutate that fast? Do you think someone might've done something and rewrote logic as we knew it? And what're we going to do with all of the corpses? There's going to be so much hazardous waste going around that this area will remain toxic for decades, if not centuries. What if the dead people aren't really dead and they'll come back to life as unkillable zombies?" she asked, getting uneasier and uneasier. Sparks started playing off her fingertips, but she ignored the pain. "Hey Cyrus, talk to me about happy things. I don't wanna think about this anymore."