Elibean Nights

Arch

Hey Arch, I saw you mentioned balance. My only concern there is with the new Karel tale. The runeblade breaks the chapter pretty hard in its current form. Originally it was impossible to kill the ballistas on the very first map but the rune sword can absolutely slaughter them.

Aaaand when you kill them you get a shit ton of XP like as in I was lvl 20 by the end of the first map. And because of this Barbaros was easy to kill (like legit kill with the devil sword and not just injure which is sort of a problem considering he doesn't have a death quote/event) and the rest of the chapters were relatively a breeze. So if you make the ballistas invincible or change the runesword to do str damage not mag damage then I think this chapter will be flawless. Once my weapons started breaking and my inventory was maxed I could see the amazing amount of skill and planning involved. I love what you did with Karel's tale but the killable ballista's might hurt it pretty bad considering it maxes your level so fast and such. Also increasing Barbaros hp since he wasnt intended to be killable might be a good decision.

Thanks for the release man! :) I've absolutely loved it so far.

Edited by Lance-a-lot

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Arch, I saw you mentioned balance. My only concern there is with the new Karel tale. The runeblade breaks the chapter pretty hard in its current form. Originally it was impossible to kill the ballistas on the very first map but the rune sword can absolutely slaughter them.

Aaaand when you kill them you get a shit ton of XP like as in I was lvl 20 by the end of the first map. And because of this Barbaros was easy to kill (like legit kill with the devil sword and not just injure which is sort of a problem considering he doesn't have a death quote/event) and the rest of the chapters were relatively a breeze. So if you make the ballistas invincible or change the runesword to do str damage not mag damage then I think this chapter will be flawless. Once my weapons started breaking and my inventory was maxed I could see the amazing amount of skill and planning involved. I love what you did with Karel's tale but the killable ballista's might hurt it pretty bad considering it maxes your level so fast and such. Also increasing Barbaros hp since he wasnt intended to be killable might be a good decision.

Thanks for the release man! :) I've absolutely loved it so far.

Thanks for the constructive feedback! It's a bit of a cop-out, but I can just make the Ballisticians not give any EXP gain. I'm considering adding a way to kill Barbaros, though, since with the Juna Fruit added he'll be able to gain a few more levels if obtained. I'd probably add that to the Demonic Streak achievement, meaning it would be kill Barbaros and Kaherdin.

Glad to hear people are enjoying themselves!

Edited by Arch

And as for the release plans, since Christmas Day didn't go exactly as planned, I figured...hey, why not make it five days of Christmas? So here's the deal: there will be a daily update until 2015, and matchmaker pairings will be unlocked over the span of five days as they're completed.

12/26: Fiora and Farina.

12/27: Nino and Serra.

12/28: Rebecca and Isadora.

12/29: Priscilla and Lyn.

12/30: Vaida.

12/31: Igrene's Tale and Hard Mode.

So January 1st is for sure the date for the final release?

Hmm, interesting.

Did you know that a save transfered from the previous public beta has different matchmaker settings as default? For example, I've got Fiora replacing Ninian in Eliwoods tale, not to mention Meredith replacing Isadora. Looking at Jerrot's tale shows me bard Mercutio (hey, I can use those rings!), and Guy has jumped into Heath's slot in Raven's Tale. There's probably other substitutions as well.

Yes, I know that's not a glitch. No, it's not a wrongly patched ROM - the "from scratch" save has the "classic" character setup.

...And yes, I seem to have the appropriate dialogue as well. Meredith and Harken had a nice little chat about being "the last of Lord Elbert's Knights Elite". And (this bit proving cross tale consistency is slightly up the creek), Kent seems to be married to Fiora as well. Clearly the correct dialogue in Kent and Eliwood's tale for the given pairings, but I don't think Fiora's supposed to be ms. Cheats-a-Lot.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Hey Arch I was just playing Hector's tale and I noticed when Orun died there was no death quote. I dont know if this is intentional, incomplete, a bug, or simply something that was forgotten but I just thought I'd throw a quick heads up at you just in case.

Ps, I dont know if this has been brought to your attention already or not but during Hectors tale I also noticed another prisoners freed dialogue bug. When I visited the southern most house right next to the drawbridge that Dawson retracts when you head north the prisoners dialogue played and then I exited the house. The house directly north with the whiskey has functioning dialogue but I saw you were planning to have a whiskey item and no whiskey item was given after the conversation (if that was the intended outcome).

Edited by Lance-a-lot

Hmm, interesting.

Did you know that a save transfered from the previous public beta has different matchmaker settings as default? For example, I've got Fiora replacing Ninian in Eliwoods tale, not to mention Meredith replacing Isadora. Looking at Jerrot's tale shows me bard Mercutio (hey, I can use those rings!), and Guy has jumped into Heath's slot in Raven's Tale. There's probably other substitutions as well.

Yes, I know that's not a glitch. No, it's not a wrongly patched ROM - the "from scratch" save has the "classic" character setup.

...And yes, I seem to have the appropriate dialogue as well. Meredith and Harken had a nice little chat about being "the last of Lord Elbert's Knights Elite".

This isn't surprising. Save transfers over different iterations of ROMs are always a dicey thing, particularly when certain Event IDs get shuffled around, recreated/re-designated etc. al. It's even more noticeable with savestates.

This isn't surprising. Save transfers over different iterations of ROMs are always a dicey thing, particularly when certain Event IDs get shuffled around, recreated/re-designated etc. al. It's even more noticeable with savestates.

Heh, even I know better than to transfer using save states. It was a Tale Select .sav. And I'm not all that surprised that things changed, only that there's such noticeable differences and everything is still working properly (well, bar the issues already reported).

Oh well, sneak preview!

Yeah, I had to shuffle around the "permanent event IDs" that get remembered by the game across multiple chapters in order to fit everything, depending on which achievements you've unlocked in the old ROM, you'll probably find a few matchmaker alterations.

[spoiler=Karel's tale]

I assume Kaherdin is meant to beat Karel or something? Except I just game over from it like normal and when I win I get the achievement. Are the events bugged, or am I missing something?

except this has apparently been answered by someone else okay

For the sake of making this post not useless, Legault's chapter was neat idea wise but it didn't feel like some of the stuff in it went over so well. In Part 2 I was running around with Legault and the Hero dude (who felt really bad to me as well, compared to everyone else) on 7HP or something for half the chapter because of no healing items and the Mage Knight being too far away. I used the elixir in part 1 and tossed the tonic (I think it existed?) because the game was busy spewing weapons at me so I had no space. Could you add another droppable one near Legault early in Part 2 or something?

Edited by SB.

[spoiler=Karel's tale]

I assume Kaherdin is meant to beat Karel or something? Except I just game over from it like normal and when I win I get the achievement. Are the events bugged, or am I missing something?

except this has apparently been answered by someone else okay

For the sake of making this post not useless, Legault's chapter was neat idea wise but it didn't feel like some of the stuff in it went over so well. In Part 2 I was running around with Legault and the Hero dude (who felt really bad to me as well, compared to everyone else) on 7HP or something for half the chapter because of no healing items and the Mage Knight being too far away. I used the elixir in part 1 and tossed the tonic (I think it existed?) because the game was busy spewing weapons at me so I had no space. Could you add another droppable one near Legault early in Part 2 or something?

i get what you mean, the Hero dude is nothing special compared to every other unit on that map

Obviously this one comes from having matchmaker options I shouldn't have, but...

Eliwood's tale, with Fiora replacing Ninian. There's one line in the opening that still references Ninian. It's Eliwood's line "And Ninian... dear sweet Ninian. What would become of her?"

Comparing the opening scenes with the equivalent from a "from scratch" save file confirms that Ninian and Fiora result in otherwise different scripts right through to the gameplay, except for where Eliwood is alone and mulling over the loss of his parents. That's identical for both.

On a completely different note, Hector's tale. Is Lisbet supposed to give an elixir and shut the village gate if visited with any character other than Hector? Because the dialogue would suggest otherwise. Sure, you can just restart the tale, but...

(I'm aware that the Known Issue list mentions "text problems with village 1", but us laymen don't know which is village 1, or what the exact issue is (though we can guess for both).)

In Eliwood's Tale, talking to Natalie with Dorcas results in a conversation between Nils and a soldier.

EDIT: Even though I double checked for all of the talk chains in Eliwood's Tail, I didn't unlock part two.

EDIT2: After completing Eliwood's tale, some of the characters moved around on the tale select.

EDIT3: I just remembered, Ninian couldn't use Set's Litany in Eliwood's Tail.

Edited by kurthnaga

Kent's Tale (yes, again with the old save - it works fine for me, and bar matchmaker changeups it has the same unlocked stuff as before. I'll switch to a new save once Matchmaker and such are properly online.):

Mr Ratface bandit in the village goes on about a "staff" he's nicked from a museum (Elibe has those?). I don't think a "Smithing Kit" falls under that category (even if it functions as a lower use Hammerne staff).
Also, this being Fiora's version instead of Lyn's, when Fiora speaks to Kent during gameplay, the talk conversation gives Limstella's death quote.

I'll keep reporting these alternate pairing glitches just in case. Better to spot possible trouble now than after the actual release of Matchmaker. (And I don't think a few changed permanent ID's would do that, only text pointer errors).

...I like how we get a Fili Shield instead of a Set's Litany in Fiora's version of Eliwood's Tale.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Okay, so now I'm on Karel's tale, and I did the ending where I defeat the sword guy with the Demon Sword, but it seems that the dialogue with the prince indicates that ending is "secret" and I can't figure out how to finish the level normally.

I hadn't even realized what I was reporting had been put on the list already - I had skipped from forum page 124 to 126 apparently, without noticing. I'll put more things in this one if I notice them, instead of wasting more posts.

Edited by kurthnaga

I'll keep reporting these alternate pairing glitches just in case. Better to spot possible trouble now than after the actual release of Matchmaker. (And I don't think a few changed permanent ID's would do that, only text pointer errors).

See this is why I didn't want to make it public yet - so people wouldn't see the large collection of the minor incomplete things that went unnoticed by me.

I hadn't even realized what I was reporting had been put on the list already - I had skipped from forum page 124 to 126 apparently, without noticing. I'll put more things in this one if I notice them, instead of wasting more posts.

Yup, there's a lot of that going around here, so dun feel too bad about it :P:.

Everyone should read the buglist!

Edited by Arch

Hey Arch so first of all I've enjoyed the update tremendously and appreciate your vision for the future of the Elibe universe, Im ecstatic that you're almost finished and I look forward to what's next man, keep it up!

Second, I have to admit (now I respect your view of the characters greatly so I hope you dont misunderstand) that I am a little confused about Louise's class change to Sagittary (I think i got that right I apologize as I dont have the game infront of me right now). Louise's portrait and character artwork always matched her sniper animation very well but now that she's a sagittary I find that her animation and her portrait seem a bit mixed. Her animation has her wearing a feathered hat and a robin-hood style get up and it looks alot more woodsman/vagabond while shes presented as a gorgeous and regal looking figure. Its obviously not a huge issue whatsoever but just in my opinion I really liked her sniper class and a bit more than her new one. The new class is badass though don't get me wrong! It just doesn't feel very Louise to me. Just a simple input/feedback about the change is all.

I really like having more characters use these new custom classes because they're great but if you updated Louise's portrait to make her look more robin hoody (ie. give her the hat and the more rugged clothes) or maybe give her a custom variant of the animation with no hat and a shoulder pauldron then I think it would flow alot better with the rest of the great detail and such in the game :) I figured it was worth mentioning considering we're in the open beta. Oh and on a side note I'm almost done compiling all of the changes so far and I am hoping to get alot of work done on the guide for this today.

Edited by Lance-a-lot

I wonder why Louise is a Sagittary in the first place - I would have thought that would work better as being a class unique to Toni (a Sagittary in Rath's tale for those who don't know, and she does have the Robin Hood look). But hey, I'm sure Arch has his reasons.

OOrylUL.png

This is what you'll be able to start playing with in today's update (I didn't make one yesterday because, hey, after spending three days zapping bugs I needed a night off). Since people are already cheesing matchmaker with old save files, I figured I gotta put out something concrete for testing. Just to clarify that this inadvertently became an open beta release, but I very much appreciate the understanding you've all shown. Your constructive feedback is highly appreciated, even at such a late stage in development.

Second, I have to admit (now I respect your view of the characters greatly so I hope you dont misunderstand) that I am a little confused about Louise's class change to Sagittary (I think i got that right I apologize as I dont have the game infront of me right now). Louise's portrait and character artwork always matched her sniper animation very well but now that she's a sagittary I find that her animation and her portrait seem a bit mixed. Her animation has her wearing a feathered hat and a robin-hood style get up and it looks alot more woodsman/vagabond while shes presented as a gorgeous and regal looking figure. Its obviously not a huge issue whatsoever but just in my opinion I really liked her sniper class and a bit more than her new one. The new class is badass though don't get me wrong! It just doesn't feel very Louise to me. Just a simple input/feedback about the change is all.

Louise was changed to Sagittary (which I still insist is a better name than Longbowman, BwdYeti) because it's her promoted class in FE7x. I'd definitely consider having a revamped portrait done for her to coincide with the class change.

I'll go talk to some of my commish spriters about it. Usually I buy a "set" of three mugshots, so I guess I'll elicit feedback on which other characters could stand to get an overhaul (excluding characters who've already gotten one, of course).

EDIT: Also Everett will be buffed.

Edited by Arch

Louise was changed to Sagittary (which I still insist is a better name than Longbowman, BwdYeti) because it's her promoted class in FE7x. I'd definitely consider having a revamped portrait done for her to coincide with the class change.I'll go talk to some of my commish spriters about it. Usually I buy a "set" of three mugshots, so I guess I'll elicit feedback on which other characters could stand to get an overhaul (excluding characters who've already gotten one, of course).EDIT: Also Everett will be buffed.

Ahhh I see, I was unaware Louise was a Sagittary in fe7x! That certainly makes sense then. Yeah an updated mugshot to coincide with the class would be slick not gonna lie. God bless the Everett buff though. His mustache deceived me into thinking he was a powerhouse the first time I played and I might have gotten a couple game overs because of it xD

I loved Zephiel's Tale. Very good.

Vaida was an interesting surprise. It's actually rather bizarre she didn't appear in FE6 considering the events of FE7, let alone the fandom. Could this be foreshadowing? ;) Guinevere's Jagen OP

By the way, there's also quite a few typos here and there in the dialogue (for all tales). And some wrong class descriptions. Would you like me to list those out specifically? Or will proof-reading just come later as a lower priority?

(which I still insist is a better name than Longbowman, BwdYeti)

Preach it, yo.

I agree.

Edited by DLuna