Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

Finished coloring, finally! I wanted to have it finished a long time ago, but real life stuff kept getting in the way.

fire_emblem__awakening_oc___antoinette_b

You can see her updated profile here. :)

I gave Antoinette Frederick's hair color in this piece, but she would actually inherit the hair color of her mother as I said on page 2. Because of this, I made a second version where she has the hair color of my Avatar, Kelli, seeing as Kelli would be her mother in my headcanon: Kelli-mothered Antoinette.

I actually think she looks really cute with either hair color! She'd also look good with Olivia's pink, Cherche's dark pink, or Sumia's gray (even though I hate Sumia), imo.

Btw, Annie's breasts actually ended up a LITTLE bigger than I had intended, but now that I think about it, this is another nice contrast to Lucina, who is almost completely flat. xP

I also used all brushing here for the shading. I also decided to scrap the fill bucket tool and put all the color on separate layers. Made brush shading easier. :D

And yes, I know messed up on making the shading on the sections of her ponytail line up properly... xP

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her expression makes her seem either very bored, or very high. If you're looking to express intrigue, or maybe worry, you might want to play with her eyebrows more/open her eyes up a bit more.

She's not supposed to be any of those. She's looking to see if anyone's nearby so she's not caught gazing at that piece of armor and talking to it like it's Frederick. xP That is all.

Also, I'd prefer it if people didn't just point out a flaw and leave it at that. Criticism is nice, but it's also helpful and encouraging if people pointed out things they DO like about the piece alongside said criticism, even if they don't think it's excellent or something.

Edited by Anacybele

To me her expression looks just fine. She's mourning, isn't she? Maybe she just cried a little =') I think this is very sweet and I love the colors you picked for her.

I think you're improving every time. Nice clean lines and nice details and colour choices. Pinks and browns always look nice. XD Pinks and turquoise also look nice lol

Her pose looks a little stuff though, but mainly because her hair and ribbons are all moving in a very parallel direction/same angles to each other. I think if the angles they were positions varied a little more, it would look more natural.

At first glance, it seems like her personality is the opposite of what you actually wrote. XD You made her look kind of thoughtful and quiet looking, and passive? But in her description, she's supposed to be free-spirited (meaning she's more energetic and carefree?).

Well, I wanted it to look as if she had JUST quickly turned her head to check if anyone was nearby. About the pose, she IS meant to be rather quiet and thoughtful in this instance because she wants to keep what she's doing a secret. And what she's doing requires some thinking because she's mourning her dead father (the Frederick from the bad future. Even if present Frederick is around, she still also misses the Frederick that actually raised her) and talks to the piece of armor as if it were him.

It's always good to give multiple sides to a character's personality. Antoinette usually shows her free-spirited and outgoing side, but she actually has a quiet side too when it comes to some of her feelings and the things she does.

As for the hair colors, I never actually had the turquoise of my Avatar in mind when deciding on purple for the outfit. I'm glad it doesn't look bad considering Female Avatar being my headcanon mother for Annie. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Ah yeah, I think just at first glance, I thought it would be like her "official art" kind of portrait, you know? XD It was just funny to see how different in overall personality it was compared to her description. But the art makes sense in the context you're going for.

Is it easy for you to change her hair colour? You could just make each colour variation for each mother she could have. XD That would be cool to see too.

It IS her official art. But her secretly mourning her father is a big part of her character. I thought it fitting enough to use for the official art.

And oh yes, it's quite easy and takes mere seconds since the shading is on different layers from the color. I use layer -> layer style -> color overlay to do it. I leave the chosen new color set to normal for the color layer and overlay for the shading. I might have to also change the opacity of the shading layers, but that is simple too. I can also delete or change the color chosen in the style setting as well.

But I don't really wish to make versions of Antoinette for all her potential mothers since there are a couple Frederick pairings I absolutely loathe. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Next sketch! This time, I've drawn something I've actually never drawn before. Well, it's more of a work-in-progress, really.

DravidKielsketch_zps96b667bb.png

Wolves! This is a pic I decided to do for a friend of mine, of both our main wolf characters. Dravid is the one on the right and belongs to my friend. Kiel is my guy and he's the one on the left. They look a little different because they're actually of different races. Kiel is a laguz while Dravid is an Enlahod, a race made up by my friend. Dravid actually rarely uses his wolf form, but my friend and I have had these two meet before in an RP, so I thought how cool would it be to see them in wolf form together? So I thought up this scene here, of them being surrounded on a mountain path by...bandits, probably. I reckon Dravid and Kiel got in trouble with them after trying to protect some locals or something. lol

Anyway, Kiel looks meaner because Dravid is far from a killer. Kiel, however, yeah, this guy will kill bandits or anyone that tries to harm defenseless people. It's actually a bit personal for him too. See that tuft of fur on his face? It covers his right eye...

which was blinded in a fight with his own kind when they were bullying his little sister. Sara had little skill in combat at the time, and Kiel was in training.

Kiel is also much stronger than a normal wolf in this pic. I came up with laguz promotions for my fic, so yeah. Both he and Dravid are dire wolves, actually. Kiel just has longer fur in places as well as markings. Dravid also wears around his neck an emerald pendant that he's had for years. Kiel wears a dragon-teeth necklace that belonged to his father.

I know, this is probably not my best sketch ever, cause this is the first time I've attempted any wolves and the first time I've attempted any animals in a long time. xP

Edited by Anacybele

pretty good body structure enough to make them look like wolves and the line work is alright.

however the wolves dont really look like there about to go into combat they look like there just standing there [not that they look bad like that]

it just doesnt suit an epic confrontation scene is all.

also i think it would look better if you made it seem like the enemys had them surround on all sides possible not just left and right and made some of the enemys visable to.

thats just my two cents though.

Thing is, there is supposed to be a rocky wall on one side of them and a steep cliff on the other. It's a mountain path. I forgot to mention that, though, my bad.

Oh, also, drawing all those enemies would've been a LOT of work lol. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I think the one on the left looks battle ready, but not the one on the right. It should hang it's head a bit lower, and it's front legs should be a little more bent. Like if it was about to lunge. Right now, it kind of looks like it's just walking around. xP

I do like how both of them look overall though, except that the one on the right looks a bit more boring than the one on the left.

Ah, well, the one on the right was supposed to look as if he was backing away a bit from the enemies in front of him. Guess I didn't nail that. xP

• 2 months later...

I'm sorta near completing that wolf pic, but I've got something else to show for now. ^^

frederick_for_ssb_assist_trophy__by_grea

This is my first work on Art Academy for the Wii U! I uploaded it to Miiverse as well. :3 It's Frederick! And he'd be honored to be an assist trophy for SSB. ^^

...Shirt doesn't matter though. The body wear the shirt, not the shirt wearing the body inside. What Eric trying to say is you must make Fred's body size bigger.

What I can see now is his body size's the same as his head, if there aren't for the arms.

I take English isn't your first language? I understand what you're saying regardless, just curious. Anyway, his head looks smaller than his body to me, but if I didn't make it big enough, oh well. This was just for practice and fun really, so I don't intend to edit it or anything.

36355438c9908009027b3f4c8dfbde22.png

Sorry for the edit but this is what currently looks like. To simply put it.

Flip it horizontally and you see that his body is s slopping abit.

And please, don't use practice as an excuse. It matters much more than actual work. It helps you improve.

I suggest you would come back and give it another shot.

basically what i was saying but I'm not Eric...

Dangit I should be around the forum more.

Okay yeah. Sorry about that.

Eric used to have similar avy or something asdff

Edited by Amelia

its good for future reference Anacybele. some thing to keep in mind for later projects.

Obviously.

36355438c9908009027b3f4c8dfbde22.png

Sorry for the edit but this is what currently looks like. To simply put it.

Flip it horizontally and you see that his body is s slopping abit.

I don't care if that's what it looks like (and it's inaccurate anyway because it doesn't line up with one of his shoulders), because as I said, I don't plan to edit this. I'm sorry that you wasted your time.

And please, don't use practice as an excuse. It matters much more than actual work. It helps you improve.

I suggest you would come back and give it another shot.

Exactly why I made this piece in the first place. Practice. Not to create a masterpiece or anything. So please don't boss me around. It's not like I'm not listening to you or anything. I will keep this in mind for future reference, that is all.

Sorry, but I'm not "giving it another shot." I have other pieces planned.

Edited by Anacybele

Ana, please Ana, stahp. Amelia wasn't bossing you around, she was giving you suggestions to help you. And working on your practice pieces really is a good way to improve your artwork, trust me.

Please don't push away people when they try to help you improve. If you keep doing that then your topic will end up going downhill again. DX

Oh, and on Frederick himself, even without Amelia's quick sketch he really does look lopsided, and his head looks unusually long as well. :/