Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wanted to give feedback about this dude, and why I htink you should stop complaining about your sprite losing but, to not derail the contest even more I decided to post it here.

Zebrarider_zpsrhmelvi2.png

First off, the good stuff: Ok so it looks decent, that's a plus already, overall the sprite is pretty good. The zebra's stripes are very cool and I haven't seen a picture of a zebra recently, but I see it and I think "Zebra", so props for making it instantly recognizable.

Now the.. it's not really bad stuff, just why I think you should stop complaining about you're sprite not wining.

1. It's EXACTLY the same angle as the nomad, now this is kinda unavoidable as someone in the contest thread already said, it being a horse and all, but still it's a "flaw" of the sprite compared to the other two entries, the "green blob" as you called it looks sturdier, thicker, I actually thought it was a moose, not a horse the first time I saw it. The pig is also different from most FE mounts, I think the shading could use some work but it still looks different, it looks... not original, because the zebra is pretty original, but it doesn't necessarily remind me of something I've seen in an FE game while still making me thinkg of FE... That is really badly worded, I'm trying to say that they feel like FE sprites, but they don't instantly remind me of another FE sprite. In your case I'm instantly reminded of the Nomad. It's basically the same as when I took the Mage Knight Sprite and changed some colors around to make the palette look cooler.

2. IMO they are more creative than yours, though everyone said that's a matter of opinion bla bla bla, this is just mine.

3. Ok this one is important, and if you decide to start being in the contests again (since you apparently quit based on a post in that thread), it doesn't matter which sprite you think is the best. It matter which sprite the majority of the voters think is the best (I personally agree with them), but saying "I don't think my sprite is any worse than the other two", doesn't the voters minds. It's possible that your sprite is just as technically good or even better than the other sprites and they just found the others more entertaining/interesting (a TEB map contest springs to mind, were Cedar won with one of the worst technical maps I've seen but it was frickin' hilarious XD). Point it, OK think that your sprite is just as good as the other 2 but that won't change the voting. If you want to figure out why the voters think it's worse, LISTEN to them, don't just ignore their comments.

4. This is isn't really a problem since I think you already did it, but listen to that Eliwan dude/dudette (profile doesn't say) he was making alot of sense.

5. Oh and what Ghast said about you putting minimal effort, I don't have any way of confirming or denying this, but looking at all three of the sprites, I would think that you put in the least amount of effort.

One last thing, I don't really get what I'm supposed to do with this image since you said it's old, am I supposed to critique it or what?

Kenthmug_zps9kgqvsyc.png

Edited by Matt Snow

Er, I stopped complaining about that hours ago, I've moved on...

And I get that a zebra isn't as original/different as a mount as a pig or a plant monster that looks like snot. And I get that I didn't put in as much effort as the other entrants did. But I don't get why that automatically makes my entry worse as long as it still looks just as good or even better.

And yes, you can critique Kenth if you want. Should I use different colors or fix any shading, does he look cool, do the tatters on his shirt look alright, etc. Just examples of some things you could say.

Alpha: I don't understand what you mean exactly? I wish to fix whatever problem you're describing, I'm just a little confused... >_<

Edited by Anacybele

[spoiler=This is what he looks like right now]26a60f0355.png

I recommend doing something like this.

da43e7d422.png

Do some foreshortening on his body and beefing him up a little. You'd also have to angle the open part of his shirt too, but it'll be worth when you get it 95%.

Also helped a little on the hair shape. It was just falling flat on top.

Alright, sorry I put this off for a few days, I sorta felt like doing other things for a bit. xP

But I did what you suggested as best as I could. I didn't mess with the collar yet though, because I'm not sure what you mean by having to angle it? I mean, I can see that it needs altered, but yeah.

Kenthmug_zps4xrxyhbm.png

And I get that a zebra isn't as original/different as a mount as a pig or a plant monster that looks like snot. And I get that I didn't put in as much effort as the other entrants did. But I don't get why that automatically makes my entry worse as long as it still looks just as good or even better.

Just because YOU think it looks as good or better than the other entries, doesn't mean it actually does or that other people agree. People have opinions different than yours. That's just the way it is.

That's all I will say since you still don't seem to get that part.

Um, why are you quoting a post that was from almost ten days ago? Also, that isn't even what I was talking about.

Edited by Anacybele

It doesn't matter whether I did or not, it's still an old, dead issue that everyone was past and done with. Not relevant anymore at all. You shouldn't have brought it up.

Now can we get back to my current sprite, please?

Edited by Anacybele

People can bring up old stuff as long as it's not incorrect information.

Anyway, regarding the new sprite. It looks decent, and I especially like the shirt and torso overall. However, the face is in need of some changes, since it is pretty obviously just Hector's head with some pointy ears. Perhaps changing the eyes or nose to be a bit more forceful-looking? Alternatively going the other direction and soften his features, since he's as you put it a 'womanizer'. I think there was a "Totally Not Xane, you guys" shapeshifter in TearRing Saga that was a womanizer, but he was blonde and actually looked a bit like Jeorge and Julian's forbidden lovechild. But that's neither here nor there; the point I'm trying to make is, the face needs to either be more angular or less so. The current one is Brown Hector with no other mods.

It doesn't matter whether I did or not, it's still an old, dead issue that everyone was past and done with. Not relevant anymore at all. You shouldn't have brought it up.

Now can we get back to my current sprite, please?

It's my right to bring it up or not. I felt it was necessary and relevant since you still kept complaining like a little child. Of course you're doing the exact same now. You always keep telling people what to do and what they can't do. It doesn't work that way.

People can bring up old stuff as long as it's not incorrect information.

Anyway, regarding the new sprite. It looks decent, and I especially like the shirt and torso overall. However, the face is in need of some changes, since it is pretty obviously just Hector's head with some pointy ears. Perhaps changing the eyes or nose to be a bit more forceful-looking? Alternatively going the other direction and soften his features, since he's as you put it a 'womanizer'. I think there was a "Totally Not Xane, you guys" shapeshifter in TearRing Saga that was a womanizer, but he was blonde and actually looked a bit like Jeorge and Julian's forbidden lovechild. But that's neither here nor there; the point I'm trying to make is, the face needs to either be more angular or less so. The current one is Brown Hector with no other mods.

It's not correct information though. I wasn't ever "complaining" about people disagreeing that my entry looked better than the others in that contest, it was WHY they disagreed. Big difference.

And yeah, I know it's just Hector's head. I felt it fit this character pretty well. Softer features won't fit Kenth though, he's meant to be a manly well-toned dragon dude, after all. I also don't understand what softer features have to do with being a womanizer? Anyway, I guess changing the facial features to look different would make Kenth look more unique, but I don't know what to change them to at this point. Maybe I'll figure it out in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

It's my right to bring it up or not. I felt it was necessary and relevant since you still kept complaining like a little child. Of course you're doing the exact same now. You always keep telling people what to do and what they can't do. It doesn't work that way.

I haven't complained about it at all in days though. So I eventually STOPPED complaining and the contest ended. There was no need to bring it up at all. I also never complained "like a little child" nor was I ever bossing anyone around (don't know where the hell you got that idea). Seriously, drop it.

This is a SPRITE topic. Stuff like this is okay. Arguing about personal things. . .not so much. I don't mind expressing an opinion, but please learn when to drop it and/or stop posting.

It's less "softer features = womanizer" and more "Hector doesn't exude that girl-loving personality with his face". Traditionally womanizers in FE have either had large, expressive features (such as Sain or Roger) or been angular in their nose and eyes (Saul and Inigo). Hector's default face is in that weird middle-ground where he's too harsh to be large & expressive, but too neutral to be sharply-pointed with his features. Maybe mixing in a little bit of Legault or Oswin would help give his face a more angular, defined appearance.

That's just my two cents, though.

Ohhh, I see now. Well, not all FE womanizers fit that. Gatrie and Virion are different since you didn't mention them, I think? I guess I just wanted to go with a different sort of womanizer this time, you know?

But I'll see what I can do next time I work on this sprite. Collar eventually needs fixing anyway. lol

I disagree with those statements. I do agree that you should try and make the face more unique, but agree with Ana in a sense; I don't think a character has to look a certain way to have a certain personality. Realistically speaking, people are born with their features. Angular, round, middle ground, bulging eyes, fat nose, butt chins-- personalty is separate.

Expression, however, is something in a mug that helps characterize the piece. For example, an angry face wouldn't work for a womanizer as they look serious or...well...angry lol. Giving him a sleazy/smirky look would definitely exude the player aspect of his personality.

Edited by Alphα