How hard is POR manic mode?

Path of Radiance, Maniac Mode is a cluster fu<k. Chapter 17, part 4 especially. Mainly due to a group of birdie NPCs suiciding themselves to paladin archers >.<..

Does it matter? I think, they merely escape when they get their HP drained.

Don't know as a main character NPC never died on me in Path of Radiance before. But the sad death music plays so I assume they die.

But according to the site, they all have separate death quotes for chapter 17, with Tibarn merely ordering them to retreat.

Played H5 Shadow Dragon without restarting a chapter. Actually, that might not be true; I recall one chapter giving me fits, but it was so long ago that I don't remember which one it was specifically. Either way, I didn't find it tough enough that a chapter ever took me so long to beat! I usually let units die if I mess up though.

Spent 2 hours trying to complete chapter 7 Maniac :(. I think it is a combination of me not playing an FE game in forever (And even then FE9 is by far my least played) and my Oscar + Soren getting screwed with base str/spd. I decided not to use Titania for this run for the sake of seeing how tough it is, but I had to use her for this chapter. I really don't think it's possible to get all the items without her, or at least it'd require a lot of luck. Maybe a ton of Ike dodges + Regal Blade crits, lol.

Edited by Tangerine

I don't think MM is much harder from HM. Basically, it's similiar to FE10 in the way that you need to play more defensively and that your unpromoted units at the start can't put up much of a fight until Titania arrives as your saving grace.

IMO, Titania is even more amazing in this mode. I used to have a playlog that I left uncomplete at around Ch 17, it was really fun.