risingSolaris' Sprites

risingSolaris

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first splice's bangs are derpy, and I might choose different colors on that third one's armour (the shades don't seem to blend too well), but other than that, they look pretty good (and creative :D)

The second one's body looks pretty tiny too, actually, now I think of it, but that could be seen as style, Idk :P

I'm still a novice at mapping, but I've learned a lot from tutorials and other mappers, particularly PrimeFusion, whom I think is the best damned mapper on this site, so I think I can help you. :)

Right now, your map looks kinda plain. But that's probably because of its small size. You really can't do a whole lot with a small space to work with, so the plainness is not really an issue. Unless you wouldn't mind making it bigger? If not, don't worry, you don't have to. I've made maps that size myself. lol

Anyway, first thing's first, you need to replace that one curvy corner river tile that has a spot of road on it. Since it isn't connecting with other road pieces, it looks completely random and out of place.

As for making paths themselves, remember the basic rules: Don't overuse the straight path tiles. Straight paths are unnatural in FE, as medieval roads tend to snake and wind around here and there. You also want to break off the path a few times or so. People constantly walk on it, so some of the road will be worn away over time. For some visual tips, I suggest you check out PrimeFusion's outdoor mapping tutorial that can be found in the Spriter's Resource thread.

Your map would also probably look more interesting with some light grass tiles. Placing light grass is similar to doing paths/roads. Only, they can literally go all over the place and end up in weird shapes. So don't make patches of light grass too angular or straight either. A fort and/or shop as well as a house or two would give your map some more character as well.

And that's really all I've got. You'd learn even more by looking at PrimeFusion's tuts. xP

Edited by Anacybele

on top of what Ana said, design-wise you might also want to indicate some sort of path coming from the bridge, while you're working on the paths. At the moment it is a bit odd seeing a man-made structure surrounded almost entirely by forest tiles. Just kinda fudge around with the path tiles also, I actually found it a lot harder than I would expect to make straight paths anyway. Finding a reference will help a lot

30d29614d9437a912f8c60dd1f7b5050.png?1347580064

and here's some junk I saw on the peggy, didn't see anything in the second splice you posted recently, it was rather nice

blue circles:

This whole top of her head seemed a bit odd to me. These two elements I circled kinda clash to me--the left suggests parted bangs, whereas the right suggests her part on the back of her head. I think you need to define the part where it shows in the bangs, right above her near eye, and round out the top of the head some more. This is super hard to explain so I'm sorry if this is confusing D:

red:

There's a weird little chunk of hair color coming out of her bangs on the left, smooth that out, and on the right, there's sort of a strange bump in her hair behind the ear.

pink:

color issues: on that left bit of the bottom of her hair, you used a different, greenish color for the border. Keep it consistent to the purpleish one you've got elsewhere. As for the color on the right, I'm pretty sure you either made that darkest tone custom or got it from FE8--either way, it's darker than the border color and doesnt fit with the FE style canon. Take colors from FE7 sprites or lighten it up so it isn't darker than the rest of the colors

• 3 weeks later...

Wooo, noodle-neck! His neck looks like it's bending in some weird way, almost as if he has no spine. The back of his head also seems to be pretty flat, despite all the strands throughout the rest of his hair.

Your stuff's reasonably unrecognizable (impressive since there aren't many flaws- green hair's eyes look weird with the whites in the upper left, purple guy's left eye OPV looks higher up than his right). I particularly like the last one.

614ffa2252b9a22b270eac0eb520bb9a.png

I like the look this girl has. Cool outfit too.

I circled some kinda small, messy/bothersome things. The anatomy seems right, its just not a super clean sprite:

Blue: That dark line in her hair is awfully straight/dark, and is sort of pillow shaded.

Red: Next to that eyebrow, there's just a weird mass of hair colors that don't make any sense underneath of a defined strand of hair. It looks like a chunk of hair that was cut off at the edge or something.

Light blue: There's a single pixel of the lightest hair color that shouldn't be here.

Yellow: That part of her hair is pretty jaggy, rework the line to be smoother by using a descending progression of line height (not sure how to explain it right haha). Right now you've got two single pixels sandwiching a two pixel height line and that's what makes it look weird

Purple: It's really dark where the collar touches her neck, try to anti-alias more in that spot

iTyUlRAM0DO2p.pngI think the collar on the right, our POV, is a bit too high compared to the other one.

ixW0xbE62CVhy.png He has a lock of hair right above his ear that looks really out of place to me.

i17zc53DV3kFu.png The lock of hair on the left, our POV, looks kinda off, like it's hanging off by itself.

Apat from what I said these are really good. My favorite so far is the girl.