risingSolaris' Sprites

risingSolaris

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a very slight improvement but I think you really need to go back and reference/splice Riev onto someone with armor. The right eye is still falling off, the nose is a weird blob, the hairline is too chunky, and the cloth is still drawn and shaded without consideration of how it hangs over the armor. The armor still has unrealistic spotlights. I suggest you go back and look at Riev, but also look at Hayden and Vigarde and many of the other older men in FE8. You need to step back and seriously study the anatomy of skulls, so I recommend you carefully trace off the outlines of these sprites and critically think about the structure.

• 2 weeks later...

4d5723634f10c3b5f77d8325e0157211.png?1362100868

I can see the improvement! In this most recent one though, his shoulders were making him look sort of stiff. I did a sketch over and hope that shows a bit why they weren't looking natural--they were too evenly matched, foreshortening didn't seem too considered. In the actual sprite I edited, I also made his shoulders broader, 'cause his head was seeming on the big size in comparison. One other thing I edited was his head, the whole top of his head needed to be pushed one pixel to the left imo, the crown of the head seemed too far back.

Oh and this might just be a style thing but you tend to make eyebrows overly long near the nose, and they're generally more arched than they have to be too. It's almost like they have permanently angry eyebrows without being angry. Hope this all helps, I think this sprite is a great start. The armor you do is real neat.

The eye is a little messed up, does look better though, he's got more mass now. Might want to reference some of the official mugs for neck shading though, I just realized that its pretty rough in there.

This one is a little harder to explain: there's some weirdness on the far part of the chest plate/shoulder that became apparent too. At the moment the shoulder pad seems like its floating behind the chestplate, instead of fitting over top of it.

Frants.gifKent.png

These two have roughly the same angle and both have plate armor, reference their shoulders and how the epaulets are layered on top of the chest plate. I think Hector is also at a similar angle, and would be another good one to look at for the shoulder.

disclaimer: obviously the official art isn't perfect blah blah but it still helps

Edited by Mewiyev

Hi Solaris!

I love this new green guy! You have definitely improved, and he is on his way to looking fab. However, his eyes need a little care, especially since eyes are arguably the focal point of the sprite and one of the most important ways to convey a character's personality. So let's see what we can do!

7b91d70829e8a9717d4fed0006c8abe1.png?1362212190

Tooled around a bit: your original on the left, fixes on the right. Not perfect, but definitely a bit more readable and human-looking.

From this we can see that:

- Eyes need to have a distinct upper line. No matter what its shape, whether it's curved or more flat, the upper lid line should be 1) dark and 2) unbroken. Your original lid lines are relatively light, and they're also broken up by specular glares (the brightest spot on the eye, where the light reflects off the eyeball.) I darkened the lines up, using the outline color for most of the line, softened by the 5th and 4th skin shades at the ends. I moved the specular down 1px, off of the eyelid line, and onto the eyeball proper. Only characters with very small eyes, like Duessel, will have the specular/eye highlight on the upper lid line. Also, keep in mind that the specular will be brightest on the right eye (opv), the one closest to the viewer. Use the lightest skin shade, or a white. The left/far eye's specular should use the 2nd skin tone, to create the illusion that it is farther away.

- The right eye needs lowered by 1 px. The placement of his eyes needs to match the angle of his face. Since his face is looking up a bit (and is not tilted towards the floor) that will mean his left/far eye needs to sit higher than the right/near one. See: Eliwood, Hector, Canas. The more extreme the head tilt, the more one eye will need to sit higher than the other. Check Amelia's sprite for an example.

- Because the eyes get alot of visual attention, keep that area of the face as neat as possible. You've got some blobs of 3rd skin shade around the far eye that need to be reduced, and the eyebrows need smoothed a bit. Being picky here will pay off very well for your sprite!

I think that's it. The only other thing I can think of (non-eye related) is that you've pillow shaded the trim, pauldrons, and neck. Definitely try to ref existing mugs and clean it up if you can.

Good luck with the rest! I am looking forward to seeing your progress on this sprite. :)

• 1 month later...

It's been more than a month since I've posted here, so...

i70PM0ifNxrIm.png

Here's a sprite! Ignore the box in the upper right hand corner.

I'm thinking of widening her shoulders, and her eyes seem derpy (maybe since one is covered by her hair). Anything else to fix?

This girl is cute :3 I'll say some things:

- Top of the head seems a bit narrow, so perhaps move some of the hair on the OPV right side out by a pixel.

- The right side of her collar seems droopy, could stand to move that up a pixel.

- Rather than making the right arm wider by moving it a pixel to the right, I'd say move the inside part a pixel to the left to make it look more like she's putting her arms in front of her.

- I think the boobs are too high? Assuming the line on the left side of the shirt is supposed to be outlining her entire boob. It sure looks like it

- Not sure the eyes are derpy actually. I thought the near one was weird when I first looked at it (I thought it looked slanted) but now it isn't bothering me. The eyebrow seems kinda...too arched though, it's too small to be conforming to that big eye.

The jaw looks fine to me, although the chin is a bit pointed.

As said above, if you're going to give the illusion of her holding her arms in front of her, then the lower half of the torso can be pushed in. Widen her shoulders, though, and have the arms showing some more.

No forehead as said above, but also the right eye is way too far to the right. Move it 1-3 pixels to the left. The start of the eye lies usually where the edge of the nostril is on the human face. Though since it's anime and there are no nostrils you'll have to guess.

http://i269.photobuc...Beauty/gc_1.jpg

Edited by JFierce

Go look at other sprites. 4kb2tt_th.png

(first one I thought of, probably better examples elsewhere.)

Does your hair start right at your eyebrows? I can fit the width of my hand between my eyebrows and the hair on my head. (or I have a large forehead, but you get the point.)

Edited by L95

Did a reaaal quick once over. You'll have to fix it yourself and decide what to change. But things I mainly did. Gave it a forehead, at the same time shrunk the hair a bit, ditched the fanglike hair where the forehead would be since it doesn't fit. Also ditched the fact that the hair is completely vertical. The human head is a sphere for the most part where hair is, it curves around it. Fixed the big issue I noticed of the eye not having any bone structure on the left. The human face isn't a big circle there's dips and curves

Bad example but I'm just typing this up quickly

http://thecoolgadget...-angle-view.jpg

but notice how just below the eyebrow the skull dips in slightly. Also moved the eye one pixel to the right and added a pixel to the left. Also upped the chin on the right a bit and sunk the cheek in on the left a bit. But anyways it will at least give you a vague idea of where to play around with

post-7078-033282000 1365817391_thumb.png

Still many issues but don't have the time to do a thorough once over, the general face structures kinda messed up and I'm just vaguely messing with stuff, you'll have to actually fix things up and make them look nice with the hair and such yourself.

Edited by JFierce