Nostalgia Critic is over

CrashGordon94

I don't know how many fans here know but I just thought this would be worthwhile for those that liked the series.

The announcement is here. Basically Doug said that he's done with the weekly show and he'll only be doing retrospects and specials (and posting previously DVD-exclusive material too, apparently) with the character anymore and he's phasing it out for a new show.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

it's....over.....doug quit?

We still have nostalgia chick (eh), and spoony experiment's Noah Antwiller (excellent alternative).

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

@Crash M6c5B.jpg

@DBS Every scifi movie reference ever made smashed into one pile /w pile of critics = the movie known as To Boldly Flee. Also

In the end Nostalgia Critic becomes one with the plothole, practically becoming the center of universe. Fitting end someone of his egocaliber

@Eliedon Doug merely considered the character of Nostalgia Critic to be so milked by now that he has to make something different.

Doug Walker actually explained it in a video after the finale of "To Boldly Flee" was posted.

Basically, he thought that his character had run its course and wanted to end it on a high note before it became stale and a franchise zombie, so to speak. If Spoony is to be believed in his commentaries on To Boldly Flee, there was an aspect of wanting to move towards original content to avoid being completely shut down and without an income when Congress inevitably destroys the internet. Is he still going to be contributing to TGWTG? Yes. Doug made that pretty dang clear, he will be doing other projects. It does not mean he has left the site entirely. He just shut down the show, like some of the other contributors have done, Paw shut down all the video game commentaries because it was too much work. Bennet the Sage shut down the Masterpiece Fanfic Theater because he couldn't do it anymore. They still contribute to the site.

Was I sad? Yeah, I was, I enjoyed the videos. I do understand why the Critic has been ended as a show, and it's the creator's decision.

It's been a franchise zombie for over a year, TBH.

Even though the NC videos were the ones I liked the most, I applaud Doug for doing that. Otherwise he would end up like The Simpsons, or something like that.

it's....over.....doug quit?

We still have nostalgia chick (eh), and spoony experiment's Noah Antwiller (excellent alternative).

Use Edit, please.

I noticed this a while ago when the explanation video went up. I had been wondering why there hadn't been any new NCs for so long. Shame, but if that's what he feels is best, so be it.

I'm glad he's decided to have the nuts and end it before it got stale. Good on Doug for coming this far and all the best for the future.

Well the thing is, NC was already getting stale for a lot of people including Mr. Walker. It really has run its course. At first, when i saw the announcement, i got sad but after watching the video where he discusses what comes next and junk, im not so sad anymore. He needs to move on and im optimistic for the new idea(s) hes got. They got a studio now and more fundings obviously, so im confident Walker is gonna take his ideas to the next level.

As long as a new character he creates is not an NC rehash. Im confident he wont do that but still...Ill be really disappointed if NC ends up being rehashed somehow.

I still do want Lindsey to do her Nostalgia Chick for a little while longer. I actually really like her videos.

Well the thing is, NC was already getting stale for a lot of people including Mr. Walker. It really has run its course. At first, when i saw the announcement, i got sad but after watching the video where he discusses what comes next and junk, im not so sad anymore. He needs to move on and im optimistic for the new idea(s) hes got. They got a studio now and more fundings obviously, so im confident Walker is gonna take his ideas to the next level.

As long as a new character he creates is not an NC rehash. Im confident he wont do that but still...Ill be really disappointed if NC ends up being rehashed somehow.

I still do want Lindsey to do her Nostalgia Chick for a little while longer. I actually really like her videos.

I'll clarify. "Getting" stale is not the same as "having gone completely stale and unfunny". It was on the way - yes - but it wasn't there yet.

Anywhoo, I reckon he's exhausted the ranty-type of character. We'll get something new. My money is on a calmer, maybe more snide character with well-placed one-liners rather than just endless rage.

I'll clarify. "Getting" stale is not the same as "having gone completely stale and unfunny". It was on the way - yes - but it wasn't there yet.

Anywhoo, I reckon he's exhausted the ranty-type of character. We'll get something new. My money is on a calmer, maybe more snide character with well-placed one-liners rather than just endless rage.

Yeah he wasnt Simpsons level stale, but yeah it was getting there and he was showing great fatigue for the character. A dryer, snarkier, yet calm character would be pretty cool.

And less crossovers/guests in each video. Hopefully...

I agree. I liked NC but im not that big of fan of the crossovers. Got old after awhile.

Thank god this guy quit. Like really, it was a stupid idea to begin with, and I always questioned what kept him going.

Now all we have to do is get rid of Ray William Johnson, and then we'll have a utopia

:dry:

I actually agree with Chainsaw a little bit, lol. I thought the NC was really stupid, along with every other guy like him who popped up because AVGN got so popular.

The exception is Spoony, who I think is amazing and even better than the guy who undoubtedly inspired him to do these things. He's the only one I watch because I think he's legitimately clever, rather than relying on dumb humor or raging to get chuckles out of people.

The best thing that came out of the NC was the Retsupurae video tearing him apart, lol!

http://blip.tv/slowbeef/retsupurae-vs-the-nostalgia-critic-5535142

I <3 Noah!

Edited by Tangerine

The best thing that came out of the NC was the Retsupurae video tearing him apart, lol!

http://blip.tv/slowbeef/retsupurae-vs-the-nostalgia-critic-5535142

It's one thing to not like him, but...that video is "tearing apart" what is probably widely regarded among his fans as NC's worst video and he admitted in the next video that it was awful, and not just with a passing comment; it's practically a sketch in itself that takes a good few minutes. And the top-rated comment on this video is complaining about how unfunny their "tearing apart" is since they repeat the same jokes over and over again (something they ironically accused him of doing) and just whine and insult otherwise.

And I mean, that LP really was terrible. I've watched a lot of NC videos and that one is the only one I quit on in the middle.

It's one thing to not like him, but...that video is "tearing apart" what is probably widely regarded among his fans as NC's worst video and he admitted in the next video that it was awful, and not just with a passing comment; it's practically a sketch in itself that takes a good few minutes. And the top-rated comment on this video is complaining about how unfunny their "tearing apart" is since they repeat the same jokes over and over again (something they ironically accused him of doing) and just whine and insult otherwise.

And I mean, that LP really was terrible. I've watched a lot of NC videos and that one is the only one I quit on in the middle.

That is what Retsupurae does. Plus, it's impossible to come up with new material if the guy you're criticizing is just doing the same thing over and over again. You criticize the same thing over and over again, lol.

I could watch noah draw Scan all day : )

I enjoyed Doug's Nick month a lot...

I can watch him do anything all day, haha! I especially like those uh, audio walkthrough things he does? What are those called? Like the terror trax and werewolf/vampire things he does. They're so funny!

Oh man, the one had me laughing to tears. He was like sitting in the dark room like usual, listening and talking to this audio tape about vampires/werewolves and he like, depressingly asked himself what he was doing with his life. It was an incredible moment.

Edited by Tangerine

I won't be losing any sleep over this. I was never a fan of the Nostalgia Critic, but I really started to dislike him after seeing that unfunny rant about the bat credit card from Batman and Robin. Sure, Batman and Robin was a terrible movie, but the bat credit card shouldn't have even been an issue. After all, Batman has been depicted with such absurdities as bat milk and cookies and a bat drinking water dispenser. A credit card is nothing compared to things like that.

I have never liked the Nostalgia Critic. Maybe it was because of the way he held himself in videos or just the pitch of his voice. Whatever the case I found his content to be grating, if his message sometimes entertaining.

Though I can think of what it'd be like for AVGN to stop making any videos (oh wait), so I can feel for you guys there.