Attack Animation

Alpha2090

After resorting to three different sources (the ultimate tutorial, a doc file in Feditor, and this topic here) my animation script continues to encounter errors whenever I attempt to enter it into Feditor. Would someone kindly look it over and perhaps point out any flaws that I may have overlooked?

Note: the pictures are named correctly, and I am aware that the last mode is still missing frames. I wanted to ensure that the others were functioning before hand.

Fire Emblem Animation.txt

You must use the same identical palette for all the frames, which means that if you used 16 colors for the first frame and 16 for the second, FEeditor won't accept it until those 16 are all the same.

Try controlling your palettes. I don't find any other major error but I'm still a newbie in hacking so I could be wrong.

@Soi: The last time it worked was when I copied and pasted the template from the ultimate tutorial. Of course, all the sprite did was just stand there, but I guess that was the point at the time. It was when I went to add in the other frames that the errors arose.

@Alfred: Ah I see. That might very well be the problem then. You see, for the most part the colors are stagnant throughout the frames but in the frames when the sprite is slashing, a few colors replace the others. I didn't think it mattered so long as the color count remained beneath 16.

@Soi: The last time it worked was when I copied and pasted the template from the ultimate tutorial. Of course, all the sprite did was just stand there, but I guess that was the point at the time. It was when I went to add in the other frames that the errors arose.

@Alfred: Ah I see. That might very well be the problem then. You see, for the most part the colors are stagnant throughout the frames but in the frames when the sprite is slashing, a few colors replace the others. I didn't think it mattered so long as the color count remained beneath 16.

I know because I had the same problem.

I thought "Since the colors in the frame are 16, it's ok", but then FEeditor didn't accept it. I then made some tests and with logic I understood that the 16 colors limit is for the whole animation - I seriously don't think that the game changes palettes mid-battle, in fact.

If in your palette you include some colors which don't exist in the current frame, it's not a problem. So just pick up the frame with most colors and use its palette for all the frames.

Let me know if it works.

spell anims can have multiple palettes (16 colours PER frame)

With battle anims the character's 16-colour palette is basically applied instead of the generic palette, so the entire animation can't be over 16 colours, or it wouldn't know what colour to use for the extras. Plus no palette can be over 16 colours, but that's more GBA graphics than anything~

Sorry, I thought I had clarified that in the animation tutorial but either I failed to save/upload the fixed version or I'm just being delusional.

Plus no palette can be over 16 colours, but that's more GBA graphics than anything~

You're *pretty much* right but to be a technical bastard you can have 8bpp images (I only know of Fire Emblem 7 using one; these typically have 256 colors) or have an image use multiple palettes through a tilemap AKA "TSA" in the Fire Emblem community (but this isn't truly making the palette use over 16 colors as technically speaking, I don't think the actual graphics data has a separate bit or nibble for which color to use beyond the 16th color--the tilemap just says "make this tile use this palette" and the graphics use say, the 7th color in THAT palette, as opposed to the 7th color in the default palette... but it doesn't use like, the 23rd color in the overall palette, if that makes sense).

You're spot on with the TSA, it's kind of interesting... For hacks' battle frames, you could potentially use another palette to give the tiles more colours, allowing some interesting things to be done *goes to experiment*

What would the 8bpp graphic in FE7 be?

After much trial and error with a great deal of frustration on the side, I think I've finally managed to get the palette correct. of course, I now have to go back in recolor all of my frames appropriately but when I finish and everything hopefully works out, I'll post some footage of it in action here.

After much trial and error with a great deal of frustration on the side, I think I've finally managed to get the palette correct. of course, I now have to go back in recolor all of my frames appropriately but when I finish and everything hopefully works out, I'll post some footage of it in action here.

Good news.

Good luck with that, I'll be waiting for your efforts results. ; )

Ha. I'm no where near that kind of hacking just yet. As a solo man team, it might be awhile before I get to the point of messing with ASM, whatever that is.

i figured

it was more for my own benefit so i have something to do when i'm bored

Okay...even after painstakingly going back to fix the palette's, I'm still getting an error whenever I attempt to enter it into Feditor. If someone has the time and patience, I would glad send them the resources needed to maybe identify the issue themselves as opposed to me attempting to explain it in words here. To whomever accepts this burden, I will send the needed script/frames in a private message or some such. I would post it here, but alas I do not want it to be publicly viewable until it is complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was thinking of posting a video of my progress here but I can't seem to find a suitable program for recording. I tried to use Cam Studio but for some reason, all that did was cause my computer to have a seizure and filled the screen with random flashing colors. Alas....For anyone still awaiting an update however, below is a few screenshots of the finished portrait and a single screenshot of it in action. In the time that I've been away, I've managed to finish the scripting for said animations though they lack much of the fancier sound effects for the time being and moved onto making my first map. Unfortunately, that comes with it's own set of unique problems that I'll not delve into now.

Additional Notes:

- The second portrait is of the second character I have completed thus far. You may notice that both are little more than rudimentary splices but sadly enough, I am not yet at a level where I can draw a custom mug on my own. Feel free to offer constructive criticism/advice on how to improve them if you will and I'll attempt to alter them appropriately.

- In an attempt to learn all of the aspects of making a hack all of my own, I'm trying not to get bogged down in any one section for longer than I need to. In light of that, mastery of anything may very well prove to long in the coming.

- I suppose that's all for now, unless I think up something else somewhere down the line to bring up. This post primarily is meant for those who have assisted me thus far just to let them know that I've not yet fallen off the planet. Many thanks yet again to those who aided me in getting this far.

Note: The pictures appear to uploaded out of order again....

post-5931-002802100 1350489155_thumb.png

post-5931-000613300 1350489191_thumb.png

post-5931-028809500 1350489202_thumb.png

post-5931-025572600 1350489212_thumb.png

This looks cool.

I'm new to hacking too and I know how hard and confusing may be at the beginning, but just don't surrender and keep it up. Sooner, everything should seem clearer to you if you just go on with the convinction that you can do it. ;)

What you are showing is pretty good. The design of the character is intriguing, exspecially the second one - even if I don't like very much the hair coming down on her shoulder/breast, it seems too plain for a hair, looks like a..carpet? Anyway pretty good job.

I would love to see your work when it's done.

For registering, try aTubecatcher, it's good. You can record audio with your emulator and then put video+audio together with an editing program. I do like this, but there really are several methods to record this.

Keep going!

Al

My thanks Al. I wish I had your confidence when it comes to these things, but I've no intention of giving up on it anytime soon. Even though I only just discovered that mappy isn't the best program to create maps with...and now I have to remake this castle map for like the 6th time -.-

I'm actually not sure which character you're referring to here. When I uploaded them, the first one was the second one and vice versa. For clarification, are you talking about the brunette or the black haired one?

Just as well, you seem to work at a much swifter pace than I do. You already have a few chapters done from the looks of that other thread. As another solo hacker, beginner or otherwise, this flares up my competitive spirit. If all should go well, I would very much so enjoy seeing who can complete thier hack faster =]

I'll be certain to give aTubecatcher a try when I feel confident enough and have enough content to show off. There isn't really all that much right now, but I've a storyline in mind that features the tactician as the main character on an unstable and dying world. It'll feature plenty of monsters and the like