Prax's Artwork! (Devianart stuff + lol)

Prax

Wow, I really like how you do your poses! Having people interacting with one another's always something that I struggle with when I draw... They always end up looking stiff xD;

I especially like how you drew the guys in this post! It looks quite natural and pleasant ; u ;

Your color choices are pretty lively too. It's all so greattt.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that portrait is beautiful! Could totally see it as a sprite~

I especially love the shading of his irises. :)

Totally didn't think it was a girl at first. :X

*__* Thankss~~! Yeah.. I wanna get good enough one day to be able to make art for things like games. But I'm too slow and unconfident. XD I hardly know what I am doing. Hahah~

I just made him so pink and blushy~

Wow, I really like how you do your poses! Having people interacting with one another's always something that I struggle with when I draw... They always end up looking stiff xD;

I especially like how you drew the guys in this post! It looks quite natural and pleasant ; u ;

Your color choices are pretty lively too. It's all so greattt.

Oh yeah, I love drawing people interacting. But it IS hard to do sometimes. I feel like it's choreographing proportions together. I actually hard some troubles placing their legs when I drew that one! XD Luckily, it worked out enough in the end.

I am not that great at colours, but I do try to experiment once in a while! XD

Also, I have edited my recent image again to change the shade of his complexion (since he should be pretty pale), and then I wondered what he would look like smiling and if that would make him look less dainty, and lo and behold.. it does~! lol (I inadvertently also unpinked his lips some in the process, so I guess that was part of it. lol). You can check out the process of me messing around, from making a so-so model in FaceGen Modeller to painting it over, to readjusting things again and again~!

new_canvas_by_meibatsu-d61ittm.png

And finally, here's an image with more of his body. You can tell I gave up on the whole idea of trying for realism when making his clothing. XD

altaire__formerly_known_as_the_silver_zodiac_by_meibatsu-d615ww2.png

Edited by Prax

Heh, clothing can be pretty difficult, Prax, I understand. All those folds and stuff that have to be added sometimes. But if you want to learn to draw clothes, I suggest you start with simple outfits first, like bathing suits, and work your way from there. That's what I did to improve my clothes. It also helps to look at references. Lots of them, particularly for folds and ideas.

But I think you did pretty good here! It's not bad at all. Something seems off about his head though. I'm not sure what though. It just doesn't look right for some reason.

But other than that, great job! ^^

Btw, did you ever decide who your Avatar in Awakening will marry? Cause I remember you told me you wanted to do an art on that just like I did (which I had finished back in March, actually!). :)

I think what Ana is getting at with the face is that his eyes seem kind of close together. This edit really does no justice but I hope you can see what I mean, I also made the smile just the tiniest bit smaller and also increased the size of the back of his head a little.

The painting is quite gorgeous here though :3 I totally think you could do work for games! Perhaps one of the reasons you're slow when working is because you aren't fleshing the entire design of the character/atmosphere/look of the image out before hand? Also, is it helpful to paint over a 3d face? I kind of want to try.

I don't think it's the distance. I think it might be that his eyes feel too small. Or it's because of the way I shaded. And I guess he can use more hair at the back to give his head a rounder look.. XD I dunno! I give up! I fiddled with this way too much already when it was supposed to just be for quick fun.. lol

I'm pretty much slow because I spend too much time nitpicking (spend a lot of time just refining lips and stuff) and then I run out of patience and end it quickly (I run out of steam around the 6 hour mark). lol If an image isn't done within 6-ish hours (sketch to lineart to colours to post-processing), it drives me more nuts every extra half hour it takes. Definitely an issue I need to work on. XD

(For example, his clothes took about an hour after I had already ran out of patience with his face, so I just ended that quickly and stopped myself from nitpicking and went onto post processing with adding textures and text lol)

It's kind of helpful to paint over a 3D face just to get basic proportions and structure down. But it totally confused me afterwards when I wanted to change the lighting.. and my finished image doesn't look that much like the 3D one anymore besides the basic angle.. so your mileage may vary. >_>

I would totally do it again though just to see how much faster I do the next time!

As for who to pair my avatar with in FE: Awakening, I still don't know! ;___; I haven't even been playing lately due to motivational issues! (Maybe because I got stuck on trying to grind supports lolol --gonna be stuck on chapter 14 forever at this rate). But It'll probably be Paris/Priam because there's like no chemistry with anyone in my heart. XD AT least that way, I can make fun of things better and procrastinate more.

And I feel like I don't draw enough and it makes me sad so here are some sketches!

20130411_hei_alt_by_meibatsu-d61iz18.jpg

Edited by Prax

I dunno, Mewjev might be right. But it's your call, Prax. :)

As for Awakening, heh, I understand. It didn't take me long to decide who my Avatar was going to marry, but I haven't played Awakening lately myself, lol. I was too busy with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. XD

But you're free to look at my FrederickxFemale Avatar pic for some ideas/motivation/inspiration/whatever for your Avatar romance piece. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, April 14, 2013 - double post
Hidden by Balcerzak, April 14, 2013 - double post

whoops. double post.lol

Edited by Prax

I dunno, Mewjev might be right. But it's your call, Prax. :)

As for Awakening, heh, I understand. It didn't take me long to decide who my Avatar was going to marry, but I haven't played Awakening lately myself, lol. I was too busy with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. XD

But you're free to look at my FrederickxFemale Avatar pic for some ideas/motivation/inspiration/whatever for your Avatar romance piece. ^^

I think it's because his eyes aren't large and wide enough, so it looks spaced too close, but the spacing between his eyes shoudlnt' change by much, I think! I might go back to fiddle with it one day and we'll see!

Haha.. I don't think my image would be very romantic compared to yours because I'm not the romantic type and I don't think Priam is either.. but maybe I should make one of each (a romantic one and a stupid one)! XD Though since I like Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick, I'll include them and their spouses somewhere. lol

Hey Prax since you are good at drawing and coloring I mean first you draw by pencil right? Then you color on Sai? Share if you may...

Lately, I just go straight to sketching in the program itself since I have a tablet and got used to drawing with it.

But I also sketch in pencil sometimes. Here's how my process kind of looks:

First I sketch in pencil. Then if I'm not lazy, I might ink by hand with technical pens. Otherwise I would ink in SAI. Then I colour in the flats and then add a shading layer and a highlight layer on top.

fire_emblem_how_i_colour_haha_by_meibats

This is how I make my drawings more often nowadays though, since I get too fed up with using apencl and eraser and making smudges everywhere lol:

It's not as refined as the other way, and I tend to get sloppy, but it's faster. XD I think I did the below image all in SAI.

fa_and_narshen_walkthrough_by_meibatsu-d

Edited by Prax

I think it's because his eyes aren't large and wide enough, so it looks spaced too close, but the spacing between his eyes shoudlnt' change by much, I think! I might go back to fiddle with it one day and we'll see!

Haha.. I don't think my image would be very romantic compared to yours because I'm not the romantic type and I don't think Priam is either.. but maybe I should make one of each (a romantic one and a stupid one)! XD Though since I like Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick, I'll include them and their spouses somewhere. lol

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

And if you're gonna add Chrom, Freddy, and Lissa, I say go for ChromxOlivia, FrederickxCordelia, and DonnelxLissa. :D

Can you please start spriting, 'cause that's exactly the kind of guide that I could use for shading

Thanks for the diagram with explanation! What happened to the small figure in the Narshen sketch?

LOL.. oh gosh. Spriting is too hard! I've tried just making regular 16-bit-ish rpg-like chibi sprites and it was still hard. I definitely don't have the patience to make nice sprite art and fix things like some people in the spriting thread! I don't know how you guys deal with pixel-by-pixel editing and not blowing up. lol

Like these ones I made 3 years ago took me way too long to do (they both use the same frames basically lol, but I thought the walking motion was too choppy and it seemed to work better as a skipping motion)..

Dysta___walking_sprite_by_Meibatsu.gifDysta___skipping_sprite_by_Meibatsu.gif

I do think they are cute though~! *__* I ought to do more but bjghgfj..

As for the figure in the Narshen sketch, it was going to be Lilina rushing in to "save" Fa (because it was a Secret Santa gift, and they person liked Narshen, Fa, and Lilina), but I realized it would take more time and effort than I wanted and the composition would be more akward, so I decided not to do her. xD

And if you're gonna add Chrom, Freddy, and Lissa, I say go for ChromxOlivia, FrederickxCordelia, and DonnelxLissa. :D

I already have Chrom hooked up with Sully (woulda been Mirabelle probably, but I wanted her with Gaius lol), and then I hooked Frederick and Sumia together because choices were running out for her. Dunno about Lissa yet! I think Lon'qu or Frederick might be her canon ones just based on story interaction.. I have yet to see one that really pulls me. xD

Also, I look forward to more shipping war shenanigans in this thread when I get around to making such pics. xD

Edited by Prax

I already have Chrom hooked up with Sully (woulda been Mirabelle probably, but I wanted her with Gaius lol), and then I hooked Frederick and Sumia together because choices were running out for her. Dunno about Lissa yet! I think Lon'qu or Frederick might be her canon ones just based on story interaction.. I have yet to see one that really pulls me. xD

Also, I look forward to more shipping war shenanigans in this thread when I get around to making such pics. xD

Well, dang. And to be honest, FrederickxSumia and FrederickxLissa are my two most hated pairings in the game. I seriously doubt Lissa is Frederick's canon wife also. She is WAY too young for him. Frederick's just not that kind of guy, imo. As for Sumia, I just hate her and would never pair a character I hate with Freddy Bear.

Also, you could've put Sumia with Henry, ya know.

*__* Thankss~~! Yeah.. I wanna get good enough one day to be able to make art for things like games. But I'm too slow and unconfident. XD I hardly know what I am doing. Hahah~

pfft you're already well beyond that point. just spend like fifteen minutes on this site and ask yourself whether the 'professional' standards are really that high.

LOL.. oh gosh. Spriting is too hard! I've tried just making regular 16-bit-ish rpg-like chibi sprites and it was still hard. I definitely don't have the patience to make nice sprite art and fix things like some people in the spriting thread! I don't know how you guys deal with pixel-by-pixel editing and not blowing up. lol

Like these ones I made 3 years ago took me way too long to do (they both use the same frames basically lol, but I thought the walking motion was too choppy and it seemed to work better as a skipping motion)..

Dysta___walking_sprite_by_Meibatsu.gifDysta___skipping_sprite_by_Meibatsu.gif

I do think they are cute though~! *__* I ought to do more but bjghgfj..

yes, very cute! working within an established style like the GBAFE one has its own complexities, but I've found it's especially difficult to invent a new, consistent style of any level of quality, so bravo.

either way, yeah, there is a lot of technical stuff to keep in mind when spriting but really not any more than you need to know about painting. the longer you work at it the more natural it becomes, same as anything.

EDIT: hahaha what apparently I've been following you since like 2010 and I'm only now realising you're the same person

Edited by miniBladez

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dang. And to be honest, FrederickxSumia and FrederickxLissa are my two most hated pairings in the game. I seriously doubt Lissa is Frederick's canon wife also. She is WAY too young for him. Frederick's just not that kind of guy, imo. As for Sumia, I just hate her and would never pair a character I hate with Freddy Bear.

Also, you could've put Sumia with Henry, ya know.

REALLY? Hahaha~ Well, I guess he is older. But maybe only like 5 years older~! LOL That's not so bad! >___>

It's just that on the cover art, Frederick's holding Lissa by the waist, so that seems.. intended. >_> Even if it was only meant to maybe show his protectiveness or something, no one else is interacting or being touched but those two, and that's odd!

I didn't pair Sumia with Henry because I wanted to match up Sumia before I headed into the chapter where Chrom would auto-marry. lol Plus I think I was intending to save Henry for whoever I thought had the most hilarious conversation with him. XD

pfft you're already well beyond that point. just spend like fifteen minutes on this site and ask yourself whether the 'professional' standards are really that high.

yes, very cute! working within an established style like the GBAFE one has its own complexities, but I've found it's especially difficult to invent a new, consistent style of any level of quality, so bravo.

either way, yeah, there is a lot of technical stuff to keep in mind when spriting but really not any more than you need to know about painting. the longer you work at it the more natural it becomes, same as anything.

EDIT: hahaha what apparently I've been following you since like 2010 and I'm only now realising you're the same person

XDDDD Okay but like.. I don't draw fast enough! I am sure those artists just pumped out that stuff in 15 minutes (benefit of the doubt??? LOLOL). How could I compare? XD

Ahahha! Niiice~! I think lots of people might have followed me for one or two things, but I don't even post fanart that often so they forget. XD Plus my style is waaaay inconsistent! lol

New art time~!

(EDIT: Forgot to add this one in~! lol I just scanned it in so it can be put in order).

A character named Princess Sorl. Inspired by half-thoughts while falling asleep/waking up. She can now use her voice/singing to summon galactic forces or something. lol This was mostly drawn while waiting for or taking public transit. Part of it while going up escalators~! lol

Materials: Ballpoint pen (colour hold added in JASC Paint Shop Pro 7). About 30 minutes to scribble.

princess_sorl_of_amat_by_meibatsu-d62xps

Gift Exhcange fill in for someone else who didn't do their end.. >___> Thisssi kind of why I haven't been doing that much art myself lately. I dont' want to do people's work for them, so I put off everything, including doing my own stuff. But I guess it can't be helped. Le sigh~ ONE MORE TO GO AFTER THIS ONE!

So this is the person's OC and Robin from Young Justice. A bit of experimentation ont he colour and perspective.

Materials: Paint Tool SAI, Wacom Intuos 3 (medium size). I think this took me about 2 hours to do?

sgpa_gift_exchange_2012___candycakes19_b

A birthday gift for someone!

I actually worked with real media for once~! Wowowow~~~!

I hadn't tried using watercolours/gouache/tempera for years, sooooo.. I think this is okay for a first try.. XD Maybe I should have practiced more before doing it as a gift. Oh well!

The image represents us as goddesses looking down on our creations and finding amusement in their suffering and successes ( => us RPing on our computers LOL)

Materials: Faber-Castell PITT artist pen (+ mechanical pencil & eraser), Art Studio tempra paint, Windsor & Newton white ink, 110lb sketchbook paper, handmade paper, Best-Test paper cement, scissors, Xacto knife. I think this took 5 hours complete (I made one, I just am showing it flipped too!).

creators___happy_birthday_mydearbasil__b

IN OTHER NEWS! I GOT TO CHAPTER 23 (and then had to restart a bunch. >___> ) IN AWAKENING--THOUGH I HAVE NOT COMPLETED MOST OF THE CHILDREN CHAPTERS YET... BUT MAYBE FANART CAN BE MADE SOON~~! (After I get Priam and my avatar marries him lol)

Edited by Prax

the bottom* gift art looks incredible - if you think you can do better with some practice, that's definitely something I'd like to see :3

Edited by miniBladez

REALLY? Hahaha~ Well, I guess he is older. But maybe only like 5 years older~! LOL That's not so bad! >___>

It's just that on the cover art, Frederick's holding Lissa by the waist, so that seems.. intended. >_> Even if it was only meant to maybe show his protectiveness or something, no one else is interacting or being touched but those two, and that's odd!

I didn't pair Sumia with Henry because I wanted to match up Sumia before I headed into the chapter where Chrom would auto-marry. lol Plus I think I was intending to save Henry for whoever I thought had the most hilarious conversation with him. XD

More like ten years, if you ask me lol. But that's just what I think. Also, waist? lol no, Frederick has his hand on her shoulder, not her waist. He's showing his protective nature is all, like you say. He'd probably do the same with Emmeryn and even Chrom if he wasn't a grown man with good sword skills. I mean, this is FREDERICK lol. Duty obsessed butler knight. XD

But I see, heh.

Also, awesome new stuff you've got! I especially like that princess. She's cute. :)

• 2 weeks later...

the bottom* gift art looks incredible - if you think you can do better with some practice, that's definitely something I'd like to see :3

I bought some more paints (cheap versions~!) so we'll see how that goes.. XD Although I did forget to buy actual water colour paper.. >_> Hmm.. oh well! It should still work out! I guarantee nothing when it comes to quality though. lol

More like ten years, if you ask me lol. But that's just what I think. Also, waist? lol no, Frederick has his hand on her shoulder, not her waist. He's showing his protective nature is all, like you say. He'd probably do the same with Emmeryn and even Chrom if he wasn't a grown man with good sword skills. I mean, this is FREDERICK lol. Duty obsessed butler knight. XD

But I see, heh.

Also, awesome new stuff you've got! I especially like that princess. She's cute. :)

You never know~~! XD It seems like in Japan, anyone who's older than say.. 25 is considered an "old man", and only Gregor mentions anything about him being "old" when he's probably just in his 30s. lol I think Frederick's probably 5 years older than Chrom at most. But yeah.. it's still questionable~! If only because lol.. no one else is touching anyone else! I'm actually wondering why they included the characters they did on the cover too. It's not like Vaike, Tharja, or Kellam at at all important story-wise. lol

Yeah, she's the very dutiful and intelligent and graceful younger princess. Her elder sister is the more.. irresponsible/insecure and brash type.

Princess Sorl reminds me of Starfire, after she stole Micaiah's clothes/hair.

Yeah, because of her eyebrows right? XD When I first made her sister (who was made before Sorl), I think that's where I got the eyebrow inspiration from, anyway.

And more art art art...

Sketch of a few of my characters and a friend's characters in an AU thing we have. XD

In this one, the main characters being Altaire and Ezra, Altaire is a young adult with mood disorders (depression and anxiety) and addiction issues that may have spiralled from his troubled home life, and Ezra is a young aspiring law student and momma's boy with a tense home life that he just tries to distance himself from. And there is lots of drama. lol

normalcy_by_meibatsu-d63frs7.png

And remember this??? Well, my wedding dress design got turned into a real thing~~~! So coooool~~~ All dat embroidery man~!.. Ugh.. if only the rest of the wedding planning were complete. //flails everywhere

wedding_dress_by_meibatsu-d64ek96.jpg

And maybe you haven't noticed just yet, but I changed my icon/avatar for everything into this~!

Inspired by Gigi D.G.'s style because she's me hero forever lol

da_icon___solar_cat_lol_by_meibatsu-d64m

AND FINALLY FOR THE NIGHT/DAY: SOMETHING FIRE EMBLEM RELATED~~!

Prax x Priam otp.

(note: I didn't actually recruit him yet because I am still grinding and his map is still too hard for my underlevelled non-children characters and I didn't get the children yet either. XD )

tumblr_inline_mmiuk2HFxr1qg4o2g.jpg

1. That is a beautiful wedding dress!

2. Yeah, it's Sorl's eyebrows. I'm tempted to write a (probably bad) story about her FSR.

You never know~~! XD It seems like in Japan, anyone who's older than say.. 25 is considered an "old man", and only Gregor mentions anything about him being "old" when he's probably just in his 30s. lol I think Frederick's probably 5 years older than Chrom at most. But yeah.. it's still questionable~! If only because lol.. no one else is touching anyone else! I'm actually wondering why they included the characters they did on the cover too. It's not like Vaike, Tharja, or Kellam at at all important story-wise. lol

And remember this??? Well, my wedding dress design got turned into a real thing~~~! So coooool~~~ All dat embroidery man~!.. Ugh.. if only the rest of the wedding planning were complete. //flails everywhere

wedding_dress_by_meibatsu-d64ek96.jpg

AND FINALLY FOR THE NIGHT/DAY: SOMETHING FIRE EMBLEM RELATED~~!

Prax x Priam otp.

(note: I didn't actually recruit him yet because I am still grinding and his map is still too hard for my underlevelled non-children characters and I didn't get the children yet either. XD )

tumblr_inline_mmiuk2HFxr1qg4o2g.jpg

Well, I still feel Frederick and Lissa (or Maribelle) just look creepy together because of the age gap, but you're right lol.

And that's a Canadian wedding gown? It doesn't look anything like what women wear here. I would have thought it to be some Asian formal wear, not a wedding dress, but that's probably because I'm use to the way American ones look. lol But it's still pretty! :)

As for that Priam pic...just lol. XD Though I think he's telling the truth.

And that's a Canadian wedding gown? It doesn't look anything like what women wear here. I would have thought it to be some Asian formal wear, not a wedding dress, but that's probably because I'm use to the way American ones look. lol But it's still pretty! :)

Traditional wedding gowns here are the same as in America; Prax's reminds me of a kimono and has quite an Asian/Japanese vibe to it (but I want to say that Prax is Asian?).

Anyway, I totally agree with everyone else that your wedding gown is simply gorgeous! The phoenix is a very interesting idea~

I'm sure you're going to be absolutely stunning at your wedding. :)

Edited by eCut
Spelling errors~

Traditional wedding gowns here are the same as in America; Prax's reminds me of a kimono and has quite an Asian/Japanese vibe to it (but I want to say that Prax is Asian?).

Oh, I see. I had no idea lol. I don't know much about Canada. XD