[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, complements on the battle screen/frame(thing) :) and I like the additions to devil weapons. hopefully i wont kill my self alot ha ha ha...

Every update has me more and more intrested and it has been said before but i'll say it again keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for all the support, guys! =)

Like always, it really is appreciated and gives me more strenght to go on.

I've worked with twice the effort since I posted the first update here last month, haha. Really, it makes me happy to see that people are hyped for this. I will try my best to not disappoint you.

I have a shite old male pegasus knight animation if you need one! Of course, I can fix it up. xD

Oooh yes Cutie, please! *-* That'd be fantastic.

Can you show me that by PM? Thankies

Edited by Alfred Kamon

• 4 weeks later...

I created an account just so that I might inform you that I eagarly anticpating the arrival of this game.

Oh my, hahaha!! Thank you very much!! XD

I think I should update you guys on the state of the project, uh.

Sorry if I didn't say anything for quite a while, but I had exams and I invested most of my time on those.

Now hopefully they're finished so I've started working on Midnight Sun again.

I'm currently redoing the Soundtrack. At first it was Agro who had to work on that, but I realized it was too much of a work to find, edit, insert and polish 40+ midis, and I didn't want to charge him with all that work since he already has his own project and all, so I took some lessons from him and now I'm doing that myself.

I'm inserting 3-4 songs per day, so I think I'll finish working on the Soundtrack in about 8 days from now.

... But still, I'm waiting for mugs and proofreading and other little graphics from some good people who volunteered to help me, and since those don't depend on me for the most part, I'm afraid I can't say when I'll release the hack exactly. I hope in the first half of 2014, like I wrote in my signature.

In the meantime I'll also work on the Tower of Valni, custom classes with a new promotions system, and maybe even custom supports.

Also I'll probably make a new poll soon just to keep the topic alive and gather some more, always useful data.

Stay tuned!

Poll #1 : RESULTS
Which of these aspects that were introduced in FE8 did you enjoy the most? (you can choose more than one option) - 91 members have cast their vote

- Monsters (29 votes [31,86%])
- Tower of Valni / Lagdou Ruins (23 votes [25,27%])
- Branched promotions (77 votes [84,61%])
- Traversable world map (41 votes [45,05%])
- Split route (37 votes [40,65%])

Oh wow. 85% of you really enjoyed the branched promotions system that was introduced in Sacred Stones.

So now I would like to ask you...

Which one(s) of these did you like the most?

- the standard "every class has only one promotion" system

- FE8 "double choice" system

- FE10 "every class promotes two times" system

- FE11-12 "Every class can repromote into [almost] everything" system

- FE13 "you can repromote into fixed classes and get new skills" system

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Oh wow. 85% of you really enjoyed the branched promotions system that was introduced in Sacred Stones.

So now I would like to ask you...

Which one(s) of these did you like the most?

- the standard "every class has only one promotion" system

- FE10 "every class promotes two times" system

- FE11-12 "Every class can repromote into [almost] everything" system

- FE13 "you can repromote into fixed classes and get new skills" system

fe8's because i haven't played the other ones! :D

Don't forget that FE9 and FE10 have the option of automatic promotion by leveling up past level 20. Which would be what I like the most for how promoting is handled.

Along with the branched promotion, three tiers would be nice, but only for a longer game or something similar

fe8's because i haven't played the other ones! :D

Seems reasonable enoug-- no wait it really doesn't. XD

FE8 for a certain, Having more than 2 promotions/choices breaks the game, just my opinion.

What do you mean by "breaks the game", exactly?

And could you imagine a way to not "break the game" while having more than 2 promotion choices?

FE8's I guess. Third tiers would be nice, but I think they'd only work if the game was really long or if almost every character started at/near Tier 2.

Hmm yeah. But imo it also depends a lot on how gameplay and balance is managed.

For example, would it work to have the characters gain a lot of exp (by putting a lot of enemies, for instance) so that they can promote earlier, in your opinion?

FE8's was my favorite! It added more variety and replay value to the game without making it unbalanced, in my opinion~

Yup~ It was indeed quite balanced, even if some classes weren't exactly unique/strong and there wasn't a good reason to pick them over the other ones apart from personal bias.

A combo of FE8's branched promos/FE10's three-tier system would be perfection

nice prediction *cough*

Don't forget that FE9 and FE10 have the option of automatic promotion by leveling up past level 20. Which would be what I like the most for how promoting is handled.

Along with the branched promotion, three tiers would be nice, but only for a longer game or something similar

I see. As I told to shinypichu though, three tiers might also work in an accurately balanced game, don't you think?

Automatic promotions were really cool btw! But adding those would require some ASM, uh.

Also, what about promotion items, guys?

> Have many different ones for every kinds of classes (like in GBA FEs)

> Have an universal promotion item for every class (like in FE13 for instance)

> No obligatory need of promotion items (like in the Tellius games with autopromotion)