[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I never liked them very much.

I could either keep them and give them swords as well, or scrap them and make a new custom monster.

Your new Zombies are pretty redundant with Cyclopes, as far as I can see, so if you keep them, they should have something specific to makes them stands out...

Anyway, each news makes me more hyped for this hack ! Keep up the good work !

. . .hmmm, how does a cyclops with high Def/Res, sorta-high HP/Atk, and awful everything else sound? Sort of like the generals of FE, without the stupid movement restrictions (or Armorslayer weakness). I had respect for those guys in the Lagdou Ruins, and even if I think they're ugly as sin, they're my second-favorite monster (after those stupid-fast dogs).

Your new Zombies are pretty redundant with Cyclopes, as far as I can see, so if you keep them, they should have something specific to makes them stands out...

Anyway, each news makes me more hyped for this hack ! Keep up the good work !

Yup, that's true. I'll figure something out.

Thanks! ^w^ I will.

. . .hmmm, how does a cyclops with high Def/Res, sorta-high HP/Atk, and awful everything else sound? Sort of like the generals of FE, without the stupid movement restrictions (or Armorslayer weakness). I had respect for those guys in the Lagdou Ruins, and even if I think they're ugly as sin, they're my second-favorite monster (after those stupid-fast dogs).

That's pretty much what I had in my mind. Though the Generals and Cyclops' MOV is the same (5) so if I get what you meant by "without the stupid movement restrictions", I should add 1 MOV point to them, right? That can be done. I have plenty of time to think about that anyway, since Cyclops won't appear till mid-game.

By the way, stat boosters now are monster drops:

monsterdrops.png

*these icons were made by GabrielKnight as usual, while the original concept for most of them was mine*

Some of you might have already seen them in Gabriel's sprite topic.

Anyway, from the upper left corner:

Gargoyle Tail (+ HP) - Gargoyles

Luckos Fang (+Str/Mag) - Luckos'

Ominous Eye (+Skl) - Big Eyes and Cyclops

Gorgon Blood (+Spd) - Gorgons

Wishbone (+Luck) - Skeletons

Dracoscale (+Def) - Dracozombies

Spider Silk (+Res) - Baels

Centaurshoe (+Mov) - Centaurs

Dark Flesh (+Con) - Zombies

So you will only get stat boosters from story chapters that feature them, skirmishes and Lagdou Ruins.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Forcing units to eat giant eyes and rotting flesh, I like <3

Tasty stuff is tasty

I should probably address a Gargoyle soup in one of the supports.

I'm so inspired to create a "Demon Cook" character now.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I really like that you're using monster elements more, I know a lot of peeps don't like monsters, but it really makes it feel different since I don't see monsters used much.

Well, I did not like monsters either, that's why I'm trying to make them more interesting in Midnight Sun.

As for why they were so annoying in Sacred Stones, I suppose it's a combination of their horrible stats (no sense of reward in killing them), their similar stats (basically all the same = boring) and the fact that they were thrown into the story for no particular reason (oh hey, here's a horde of monsters created by some entity you won't know till lategame. Deal with it).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: after chapter 19 you only battled monsters for the rest of the game!! That was just sick. I'm so gonna throw some Risen in Lagdou.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I leave lurking the hacking boards for like two to three weeks to work on other things and now I wander back in to see this and the sudden burst of competency in it. To which I say "Fantastic!" Very happy you capitalized on stuff that I and others have said and manifested them into solid awesome. Now it seems I'll have to ask you for help(even though it looks like you preempted me on some of that, thanks Josh(because I more or less restarted ASD again go me)).

Stay the course now, you're doin' fine.

It's your hack, so you get to make the monster call in the end. Those stupid lumbering cyclopses gave me enough nightmares with their usual movement; I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if they're slightly more mobile!

Also, nice job (to both of you) on the stat boosters! I've never been so creeped out and excited by an icon change before.

I leave lurking the hacking boards for like two to three weeks to work on other things and now I wander back in to see this and the sudden burst of competency in it. To which I say "Fantastic!" Very happy you capitalized on stuff that I and others have said and manifested them into solid awesome. Now it seems I'll have to ask you for help(even though it looks like you preempted me on some of that, thanks Josh(because I more or less restarted ASD again go me)).

Stay the course now, you're doin' fine.

Ahah, thanks a lot Ray! I owe you one for various reasons.

Feel free to ask anything, and-- wait... you restarted ASD again?? Interesting!

It's your hack, so you get to make the monster call in the end. Those stupid lumbering cyclopses gave me enough nightmares with their usual movement; I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if they're slightly more mobile!

Also, nice job (to both of you) on the stat boosters! I've never been so creeped out and excited by an icon change before.

Yup! Let's see how well those fat giants do with a little mov boost, then! :]

Do you want an Ominous Eyes Salad?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've finished the Interlude between chapter 8 and 9.

Now I'll be polishing various aspects of the hack, before releasing it.

My top priority is the Tower of Valni. I'll make it some Training Camp you can access if you pay a fee, or something similar. We'll see how much I can hack it, I once heard it's hardcoded or some shit like that.

As of now, I'll post these.

midnightsun38ch8preview.png

chapter 8 random pics (without spoilers, sorry)

Like shown in my previous update, stat-boosters are now tasty monster drops.

The Ragnarok (which will probably be renamed anytime soon) is a B-rank holy sword, effective against monsters.

It has few uses, so it's some sort of jolly that you'll really, really enjoy having in your inventory.

Can you imagine that Thief ripping the flesh out of that zombie's body? lol

Also this hack features some incredible hax

Midnightsun41.png

Would you guys believe that it took me 10 hours to implement

this feature into my custom events?

In any case, if it wasn't clear so far or if you're taking a look at this project for the first time,

the two Lords of this hack are:

- Faratrass, black mage Lord, Vassal of the Demon King

- Shiori, light mage Prodigy. Yeah, she's blind. But she can sense other people's malice for reasons that you'll see in the actual game.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

15 Attack at level 20. I hope she has Slayer or some other support function, otherwise I can't see her being useful other than light chip.

And lol 6% hit (unless you're changing it to 1 RN)

15 Attack at level 20. I hope she has Slayer or some other support function, otherwise I can't see her being useful other than light chip.

And lol 6% hit (unless you're changing it to 1 RN)

Don't worry, you'll actually use her quite often.

Every unit is a precious ally. It's relatively difficult to beat my chapters with just a few units, you'll use all of them on every turn most of the times.

Also, added a poll. I need to gather some information.

Your juicy opinions are appreciated!

Have to say, this is a game I'm extremely looking forward to getting into!
The storyline alone has my attention gripped, but the fact that it's a Sacred Stones hack is a massive bonus in my books.
Really looking forward to the first release, congratulations with your work so far and good luck with the rest of the game! :D

Have to say, this is a game I'm extremely looking forward to getting into!

The storyline alone has my attention gripped, but the fact that it's a Sacred Stones hack is a massive bonus in my books.

Really looking forward to the first release, congratulations with your work so far and good luck with the rest of the game! :D

Thank you very much! ^^

The plot I've written in the first post is referred to the Prologue. There's much more to this hack's story, and I've put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Glad to have kept you interested so far!

. . .Judgelight. You have my undivided attention.

Those look like screens from the Lagdou Ruins. Do you plan on unlocking them early?

Hehehe.

In any case, no. I just used that tileset for the chapter 7 map and chapter 8 map (which is the continuation of the previous, similarly to what FE8 originally did with chapter 5x and chapter 8 maps).

I still have no plans for the Lagdou Ruins. I'll get there in one year if I'm quick in any case.

But I do have plans for the Tower of Valni. I just need to see if what I've in mind is doable. I'll be testing that in the next days and let you guys know. The tower (or what it will become) will probably be included in patch v.1.0 anyway.

*cries* i wanna play! i wanna play!

Don't worry my dear, you won't have to wait much.

I hope. It really doesn't depend only on me now.

[spoiler=RAY THIS IS MOSTLY FOR YOU]When doing your tile changes, remember that the tile changes with "map ID 0" will be automatically triggered in skirmishes. FE8 does this to transform villages into ruins, mainly. I think I'll use them to change the maps completely if possible, and make skirmishes basically new chapters altogether.

[spoiler=proof image]midnightsun43.png

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Loving the progress thus far, Alfred! I get genuinely excited when there are new posts here in hope that they have screenshots. ^_^
Keep up the good work~

[spoiler=Valni/Lagdou notes]

One problem with Valni/Lagdou is that when Event Assembler disassembles their events, it prints out 'FE8Code' stuff that can't be re-assembled because it doesn't mean anything. You can make it assemble in a hacky way by replacing all instances of FE8Code with SHORT, but what's really going on is that you have commands being used that aren't listed in EA's Language Raws.

These commands are of ID 0x2B20, 0X2B21, and 0x192A, and they accept two bytes for a parameter. They all seem to be part of common events that are used by all floors of the tower* for their beginning and ending scenes and read from the same offset, so they're surely essential to how the tower and ruins operate.

Oh, and some floors straight up can't be disassembled; it crashes EA when you try. These include Floors 5 and 6 of Valni and most of Lagdou (Floors 1, 2, and 6 can definitely be disassembled; not so for the others up to Floor 8).

*Except Floor 8 and sorta Floor 3, from what I can disassemble; it may be in part related to the bonus characters you recruit from clearing those levels.

Loving the progress thus far, Alfred! I get genuinely excited when there are new posts here in hope that they have screenshots. ^_^

Keep up the good work~

Thank you very much, Cutie! ^^

[spoiler=Valni/Lagdou notes]

One problem with Valni/Lagdou is that when Event Assembler disassembles their events, it prints out 'FE8Code' stuff that can't be re-assembled because it doesn't mean anything. You can make it assemble in a hacky way by replacing all instances of FE8Code with SHORT, but what's really going on is that you have commands being used that aren't listed in EA's Language Raws.

These commands are of ID 0x2B20, 0X2B21, and 0x192A, and they accept two bytes for a parameter. They all seem to be part of common events that are used by all floors of the tower* for their beginning and ending scenes and read from the same offset, so they're surely essential to how the tower and ruins operate.

Oh, and some floors straight up can't be disassembled; it crashes EA when you try. These include Floors 5 and 6 of Valni and most of Lagdou (Floors 1, 2, and 6 can definitely be disassembled; not so for the others up to Floor 8).

*Except Floor 8 and sorta Floor 3, from what I can disassemble; it may be in part related to the bonus characters you recruit from clearing those levels.

Aww, that sucks. Well, I will try to get around that in some way.

Thanks for the information, Vennobennou! :)

And nooow...

Skirmishes update!

Yes, this hack features some functioning custom skirmishes. Moreover, I have a little twist for you! Take a look!

Basically the skirmishes in FE8 used the same maps of the main chapters. I managed to make the skirmishes play on different maps!

Since the skirmishes take place in the same spot on the world map, though, most of the times the new maps will just be expansions of the previous ones, as you can see in the video.

Chapter 6 map

Chapter6done3.png

Adlas plains skirmish map

Chapter6done3_skirmish.png

Both

Chapter6done3_both.png

Edited by Alfred Kamon