Wii is dying

Dandragon

Well. it's finally happening. So far, 3 games of mine have come up with the message that the game disk could not be read.

The Last Story

Kirby Air Ride

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

At this point, i know something is wrong with my wii as all of the game disks are clean and intact. I've been looking up what to do and all i've been told is to get my wii sent to be fixed, but i'm not sure exactly WHERE to send it. Gamestop?

Of course, I could be paranoid and it may just be the game disks themselves, but you know what they say. 1 is an accident, 2 is a coincidence, 3 and there's a pattern.

So, what do I do, ladies and gentlemen? Get my wii sent to be fixed or buy a new one? (i dont have the money for either)

Of course if you live and the United States and could send me one...

funny i've had my wii since they came out and am having no errors

idk go see if you can get it fixed cheap

well, i was one of the unlucky ones who got a wii that overheated...a lot... thankfully gamestop gave me a cooler :D

....yes...a wii cooler...

My Wii gave up on me a few months ago. I was playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and then the screen turned black with an error message and I've not been able to use any disks on it at all since then.

Before this, however, there was a different error message with the reading of just a few games (double-layered disks like SSBB and Metroid: OM) and the problem turned out to be that the Wii's disk reader needed cleaning. I don't know if you've tried this already, but it might be worth getting the official Wii Cleaning Kit and giving that a go.

When you insert a disk, does it simply say it can't be read, or does it say 'an error occurred' and tell you to turn off the console? Because if it's the former, I'd bet the Cleaning Kit would fix it. If it's the latter, then your problem's the same as my current predicament and I don't know what you can do.

If it turns out to be really dead, and you don't have the money to either fix it or replace it, then if I were you I'd just pitch it, and save up some money for a Wii U if you can, because let's face it, there are no good new Wii games coming out ever again except Dragon Quest X, which will also be on Wii U. The only reason you'd need a Wii is to keep playing Gamecube games like Path of Radiance - unless you fortunately have an old Gamecube lying about unused somewhere.

Mine just did that a month or two ago as well~

I can't find the cleaning kit anywhere though ;~;

I asked for one and they just handed me a dvd disc cleaner =/

I ended up just buying a new Wii =[

I dunno where you can take it to get it fixed though...

Also mine would always overheat as well =o I actually never noticed that at first.

My Wii gave up on me a few months ago. I was playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and then the screen turned black with an error message and I've not been able to use any disks on it at all since then.

Before this, however, there was a different error message with the reading of just a few games (double-layered disks like SSBB and Metroid: OM) and the problem turned out to be that the Wii's disk reader needed cleaning. I don't know if you've tried this already, but it might be worth getting the official Wii Cleaning Kit and giving that a go.

When you insert a disk, does it simply say it can't be read, or does it say 'an error occurred' and tell you to turn off the console? Because if it's the former, I'd bet the Cleaning Kit would fix it. If it's the latter, then your problem's the same as my current predicament and I don't know what you can do.

If it turns out to be really dead, and you don't have the money to either fix it or replace it, then if I were you I'd just pitch it, and save up some money for a Wii U if you can, because let's face it, there are no good new Wii games coming out ever again except Dragon Quest X, which will also be on Wii U. The only reason you'd need a Wii is to keep playing Gamecube games like Path of Radiance - unless you fortunately have an old Gamecube lying about unused somewhere.

The message always was "The disk could not be read. Please refer to the instruction manuel". The cleaning kit would probably be my best bet, but im not sure how to take the thing apart. The last thing i need is to break the damn thing in the process of cleaning it.

I still do have my old gamecube up in my attic, so buying a wii u might not be a bad idea.

The message always was "The disk could not be read. Please refer to the instruction manuel". The cleaning kit would probably be my best bet, but im not sure how to take the thing apart. The last thing i need is to break the damn thing in the process of cleaning it.

I still do have my old gamecube up in my attic, so buying a wii u might not be a bad idea.

If that's the message, you could probably benefit from the kit. You don't need to take anything apart to use it. It's a plastic object shaped like a disc with a handle; it has a little bit of fabric on it, on which you drip a bit of the cleaning liquid. Then you insert it into the disc slot and wiggle it around a bit. It worked wonders for me, though it wasn't wonderful enough to fix it when it finally gave up and the disk reader completely died - probably about a year later. Part of the reason I'm getting a Wii U is not just so I can play its new games, but so I can return to older ones as well, like SSBB, Metroid: Other M, Radiant Dawn and Skyward Sword.

What a coincidence. So is mine. And just when I wanted to play Radiant Dawn again.

Your sig is very fitting to my reaction when i saw wii, dying, play radiant dawn again.

It happened to me earlier this year, i believe somewhere around january/february. My Wii simply stopped spinning discs. The nintendo repair thing asked me for 80.00 dollars and to that i said no, considering my brother would likely get the wii u when it comes out or soon thereafter. Plus i could possibly get another wii for cheaper. Of course i haven't found one that is cheaper, partly because i haven't looked for one but eh.

• 3 weeks later...

My wii is still working but I did have to get repaired by Nintendo after it scratched my Mario cart wii disk... Still don't know the reason but can't argue with a free repair and shipping! And a replacement disk too. So mine might be good for a few more years. Either way I got my GameCube and I am going to get the wiiU so I'm set if it wants to die on me