Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Draft #1

ZemZem

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a start to the run today, and was happy with the progress I made. I've made it through to the end of chapter 1 in 56 minutes, reaching level 3 and having collected a Super Appeal, Happy Heart, FX R (or whichever it is), 3 Shine Sprites and a few Star Pieces. Things are mostly going to plan, however, I have a lot less money than I expected to have (17 coins IIRC)... so I might need to actually fight a few more enemies, since I need something like 500 or so Coins to buy all the Badges I want.

Continuing on, I've now completed chapter 2, in a time of about 2:07 (IIRC).

After chapter 1, I upgraded Goombella and grabbed Damage Dodge, then went through the Boggly Woods. I fought a few more enemies instead of running away from everything, to hopefully get a bit more money. The Shadow Sirens were less difficult than I expected, Goombella Multibounce+Mario Jump took out Beldam turn 1, then Vivian fell the same way and finally Marilyn.

The Great Tree gave me more issues than I was expecting, well, mostly because of a few unlucky situations and an annoying glitch. I managed to lose to the 100 Jabbie squad, despite using Flurrie constantly on them. Next time, I managed to somehow get some Punies out of the cell (before you get Super Jump Boots), and they ended up getting stuck in the room below the Super Boots. I went back to whistle them from the Elder, but then I realised the Punie Symbol was stuck in the cell, and I needed to blow the punies I had across, at which point I decided, no, I'm not going to lose about 10 minutes going up and down the tree to a glitch, and reset the game.

I sold the Ultra Shroom in the tree, for 75 coins, and so now have about 130 or so. Chapter 3 should get me a lot of coins too. Magnus Von Grapple was a cakewalk, two pairs of Multibounce-Spin Jump drained my FP but took him down to about 8 HP, then a Lightning Bolt on the rockets and some more jumps finished him off.

Now level 5, with 15/10/9 HP/FP/BP. I suspect an awful lot of levels will be hitting BP from now on. Also have I think enough Star Pieces for Happy Heart or Happy Flower from Dazzle, and I have 4 Shine Sprites spare (I think). You can probably work out from this, I intend to both get Ms. Mowz and the Up Arrow from Hooktail's Castle.

...Is nobody else posting status reports, or have you just not started yet?

Either way, a little late to check for clarifications, but 1: Restarting is frowned upon except in case of game overs, yes?

2: I've been assuming that use of partners is fair game outside of battle. If not... well, obviously whoever drafts Yoshi pretty much wins.

Just finished chapter 3. Not sure of time, something like 3:45. Was pretty easy up to the higher fights, when the game proceeded to massively troll me, throwing basically (or literally) unwinnable conditions at me: Partner only against Dark Koopatrol (good luck Goombella), no special moves against the same (possible, but crazy), Partners only vs. Red Chomps (again, I think I could have done this with charge, but uh I didn't think of it), etc. which I restarted at the point I realized I was going to die. Eventually with the use of a power punch, made it past Dark Koopatrol at which point I used what's going to be my standard boss killing strats against Rawk and Grubba: Charge with Goombella a bunch of times, then Multibonk the enemy to death. Grubba was a little harder than anticipated as he boosted defence twice right when I was otherwise ready to hit him, so he didn't quite die, but Rawk went down in 3 turns.

• 2 weeks later...