Does anyone LIKE Sothe?

VGE

Thief who can pretty much do what Volke does. His combat is worse, but Volke's combat isn't very good anyway.

As a character...eh I'm indifferent. Kind of the typical thief kid archetype in PoR.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a combat unit, thieves in general aren't really kicking anyone's ass. But as a character, I do like Sothe. It's implied that the person he was looking for in PoR was Micaiah, which means he was crossing warring countries just to find her, because he loved her. I find that respectable. Also, RD Sothe is a lot more badass than PoR Sothe.

I didn't know that Sothe would be a main character in Radiant Dawn, and I thought Volke was far superior to him so I didn't use him at all. It never gave a clear explanation who he was and he didn't get much character development (but that's because I didn't use him at all and I didn't get his supports).

I would have probably used him on my first play through if it was on Easy Mode, but it's hard to use weak units at least once in Hard Mode.

I never use him in PoR because Volke is 100x better, but I don't dislike him.

I do like him much more in RD though. He takes a bunch of levels in Badass, if you'll excuse my use of the trope name. I tend to have him pretty much solo everything in that cliffside ambush chapter in part 3 once Micaiah has reached level 20 because I never use anyone else in the Dawn Brigade, and by that point Jill and Zihark have both defected from the losing side.

After discovering his friendship with Tormod in RD, I kinda wish that it were practical to use either of them in PoR so that I could get their support conversations.

Sothe's ability is very strong. He does actually interact with the party unlike Volke, and has supports too. BUT since he cant promote his ability doesnt come into play, and since his stats are capped at 20 he cant steal anything interesting. Way to destroy a fine character.

Oh jeez I have to explain stuff here? Fine..

Hypothetical syllogism

1. If FE10 Sothe awesome, then FE9 Sothe is awesome.

2. FE10 Sothe is awesome.

3. Therefore, FE9 Sothe is awesome.

Edited by Knife

I just prefer to read the explanations as to why certain people like him, so I can make a fair argument in a video I'm making tomorrow.

Hypothetical syllogism

Edit: Wait a minute, was anyone talking to me? Delete this post Waha Authorities.

FE10 Sothe is average at best. Therefore, FE9 Sothe is shit.

Hypothetical syllogism

Edit: Wait a minute, was anyone talking to me? Delete this post Waha Authorities.

That's not a hypothetical syllogism :|

Hypothetical syllogism Modus Ponens

Valid logic but unsound unless you prove 1 and 2 as true statements.

Anyways, I think FE9!Sothe is average in terms of personality and bad in terms of a combat unit (and average as thief utility, although Volke is better).

Personality wise, he doesn't seem all too special. His support with Astrid seems to be the little development as a character he gets, getting over some sort of hatred he has to the noble class. He's smarter then he acts, capable of explaning the good points of Ashnard's rule in an info conversation, also related to that class system thing. All you really get out of FE9 is that he initially didn't like nobles, he's looking for someone, and he's a child, personality wise.

I feel like he had unseen character development between FE9 and FE10 that should have been shown alongside Jill in FE9 to make him a better character.

Utility wise, he seems like the thief you get if you said no to Volke for some reason, although I'm pretty sure you can say no to him as well. Can't promote, and there may be some things he won't be able to steal because of his lower strength.

Hey, you all need to quit with all the quoting my name. But I'm a little more lax on this on the main boards so whatever.

Thanks for the correction ^ though, I suck at determining argument types.

Anyways, here's an argument type that I made up that will support points 1 and 2 in my modus ponens.

STFU Bitch

P1) When we judge anybody, we usually think of their most recent personality, not what the were like when they were younger.

P2) Awesomeness can be substituted by personality because it is a type of personality trait.

C1) Therefore, a person's awesomeness is dependent on their most recent appearance, not their past appearance.

P1) FE10 Sothe is the grown-up version of FE9 Sothe, therefore they are the same character.

P2) FE10 Sothe is awesome and this is an axiom that cannot be disputed.

C2) Therefore, FE9 Sothe is awesome by extension through C1.

Edited by Knife

I guess I need to go to the other boards more often.

Lol, I was pretty rude saying that so bluntly... sorry about that. But at least your argument is stronger now, right? You should copyright STFU Bitch logic.

I tend to think of FE9 Sothe without considering FE10 Sothe, although examining them together certainly could change your opinion of FE9 Sothe.

Sort of 'end justifies the means' like (Consequentialist? Telelogical?), or his personality in FE9 eventually made him into awesome FE10 Sothe, so his FE9 personality is awesome.

So pretty much your opinion of Sothe depends on whether you evaluate a character's past dependant on how it affected their future or whether you judge them based on their actions up to that point.

This is probably a bit more ethical then I wanted character justification to be...

Oh, and I'd like to see whatever video you're making whenever you're done, Etern. Hopefully we all helped somehow.

I like him fine as a character. He was about the only one who seemed to realise Daein was fighting a completely pointless war for the first half of Part 3. As a unit, he's functional. Does his job and not much more than that. So, yeah, I like him. Not amazing but he's not terrible.

The video I'm about to make (and it will come, I just need to record PoR gameplay as some extra footage) is my opinion on the characters. I personally don't like FE9 Sothe, and I will explain why in my video, but before I go around saying he's crap, I did want to read opinions on people who like him.

So far, from what I read, people like FE9 Sothe because of what he became in RD. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I'll record the gameplay today, and the video will be up on ... Tuesday. (Because of school.)

Think so. Pretty much it's like this:

Combat: Volke is better, can't promote, so he's only thief utility if you want two, or don't want Volke. I don't think anyone can side with Sothe on this point.

Character: Average, Maybe his supports if you like them (I liked Astrid's, but not everyone did), Daein perspective, FE10 helps establish/explain/justify his FE9 character.

I personally like this line from Sothe. Pretty much explains his whole FE9/10 personality (behind his kid like persona) and his DB involvement when you read it. Makes me think of Petrine. Who I like more then Sothe.

"You know, Ashnard wasn't such a bad king. At least, as far as we [Daein] could see. If you were strong enough, you could rise up and become a knight one day. You could escape the filthy slums. He was the only king who ever gave us that chance. That hope."

It's implied that the person he was looking for in PoR was Micaiah, which means he was crossing warring countries just to find her, because he loved her.

Only until Micaiah ditched him anyway in FE13 and spent time enlarging her boobs and taking Dark Magic lessons.

"You know, Ashnard wasn't such a bad king. At least, as far as we [Daein] could see. If you were strong enough, you could rise up and become a knight one day. You could escape the filthy slums. He was the only king who ever gave us that chance. That hope."

Until the medallion corrupted his mind. It was some of his own agenda as well especially after Sephy boy here gave him that medallion to carry on his work.

-----

Sothe in FE9 always served me well when he got to 20. Not good combat-wise. But he doesn't leech off your resources like Volke does and can get better dodge than Volke thanks to his much better Luck growth. At least he can rob better thanks to his better dodge and would easily be better than Volke if it weren't for his caps and not having a class change.

Edited by Winona

Sothe in FE9 always served me well when he got to 20. Not good combat-wise. But he doesn't leech off your resources like Volke does and can get better dodge than Volke thanks to his much better Luck growth. At least he can rob better thanks to his better dodge and would easily be better than Volke if it weren't for his caps and not having a class change.

The only reason he was better than Volke combat wise (IMO) was blossom, and at any rate I would rather bring in another unit over either unit combat wise because if there was more than 1 enemy left at the end of the player phase that could reach either thief, they would both probably die unless they managed to dodge.

Only until Micaiah ditched him anyway in FE13 and spent time enlarging her boobs and taking Dark Magic lessons.

First of all, Sothe is available as a Spotpass unit so she didn't really ditch him. Secondly, I doubt the appearence of characters from past FE games in Awakening actually counts as canon (and is instead, just a bit of fanservice from IS to FE fans).