[Nintendo Direct] First look at English localisation

VincentASM

To be honest, I just wish that they could make us allow to choose whether you wanted the Japanese or the English cast. I'm sorry, but I just don't like the voice cast atm. Maybe my opinion will change as time goes on, but it's still annoying to me as of yet.

This is an unrealistic idea, and it sure is over the top. (at least for Nintendo's standards) Just imagine how cool that would be though if they released that in an update or something. :D

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I just wish that they could make us allow to choose whether you wanted the Japanese or the English cast. I'm sorry, but I just don't like the voice cast atm. Maybe my opinion will change as time goes on, but it's still annoying to me as of yet.

This is an unrealistic idea, and it sure is over the top. (at least for Nintendo's standards) Just imagine how cool that would be though if they released that in an update or something. :D

As a fan of Tomokazu Sugita, Ikue Ohtani, Miyuki Sawashiro, and Takehito Koyasu, I can understand where you're coming from. However, considering the size of the 3DS cartridge, they can only afford to have one set of voices in there, IIRC.

If it was something like the PS3 or Xbox360 (like in Blazblue, Valkyria Chronicles, or Persona 4 Arena) where there's plenty of space, they can afford to give people that option.

Realistically, it's not happening. Even with DLC capability. It's simply doesn't draw enough people willing to pay for such an option or just plain demand to warrant a free update. Being voice acting picky is in the very low numbers. No matter how many people care about/annoyed by the voices, there will always be more that don't and just play the game anyway.

As a fan of Tomokazu Sugita, Ikue Ohtani, Miyuki Sawashiro, and Takehito Koyasu, I can understand where you're coming from. However, considering the size of the 3DS cartridge, they can only afford to have one set of voices in there, IIRC.

If it was something like the PS3 or Xbox360 (like in Blazblue, Valkyria Chronicles, or Persona 4 Arena) where there's plenty of space, they can afford to give people that option.

Realistically, it's not happening. Even with DLC capability. It's simply doesn't draw enough people willing to pay for such an option or just plain demand to warrant a free update. Being voice acting picky is in the very low numbers. No matter how many people care about/annoyed by the voices, there will always be more that don't and just play the game anyway.

Yeah, you're right. I can get used to it over time just like I did with other video games. You can mute the voices too so I shouldn't be complaining. Thanks.

Yay, someone who agrees with me! "Ch" is meant for words such as "child".....

-complains about how silly/stupid the English language is- ....I despise the letter C. e.e If it's a "k" sound use a K. If it's an "s" sound use an S. Argh... Can't do anything about it, though; how long has the English language been in existence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexKqvgPVuA

Yeah, April is six months. lol

I just want it out before my birthday. ^^

And actually, RD uses the word "damn" at least a couple times. And I believe Tibarn also uses the word hell in that game. PoR uses the word "damn" too, btw. If Ike falls in Endgame, he says "Damn... I... After all this... Elincia, please forgive me..."

Edited by Anacybele

Concerning the new name of Iris, it sounded to me like it was pronounced 'Elysia'...as in Elysian Whip. I'm probably wrong, but wouldn't that serve to screw up the chronology even more? :P

I would say that rather than referencing the whip itself, it's more referencing the Elysian Fields (otherwise known as Elysium), which was the Greek Heaven.

I don't care about the names the localization team puts on the game, the japanese names i learnt here on the fandom are canon for me. I only like the localization version because i do not understand Japanese. Still Noe localization sucks, they never have my mother language. They have spanish, english, german, french and italian, and they never have portuguese.... Nintendo just saying, all of Sony's games here are on portuguese...... So yeah, do what you will (just joking guys, but true story)

If that is what they were going for with the reference, what is Plegia?

Plague-ia? That actually works, I guess.

The problem is he didn't pronounce it like that, he said 'pleegian', so 'pleegia'.

I like plague-ia ;-;

Plegia means paralysis, I think.

I... I don't know if that was intentional on their part or not, though.

Well, paralysis isn't good. And it's the name of the "bad guys" country. -shrugs- When I first read "Plegia" I said it with a short E, so it came like "pledge-ia". ....But then I watched the Nintendo Direct vid.

As to Iris' new name, I heard it as ending with an S with the guy just adding the extra S sound to show possession. Sounded like "eliss" to me, so, "Eliss's". Or however fancy you want to try and spell it. But that's just me~

Well, paralysis isn't good. And it's the name of the "bad guys" country. -shrugs- When I first read "Plegia" I said it with a short E, so it came like "pledge-ia". ....But then I watched the Nintendo Direct vid.

As to Iris' new name, I heard it as ending with an S with the guy just adding the extra S sound to show possession. Sounded like "eliss" to me, so, "Eliss's". Or however fancy you want to try and spell it. But that's just me~

Actually I think you're right. Even so, I guess it could be Elys, in which case someone/thing from Elys would by Elysian... I'm not going to try and push this though. :P I just think it'd be a nice reference. It's probably more likely to be Elice after Marth's sister, though even that wouldn't make too much sense other than being a nifty little reference.

Even so, I guess it could be Elys, in which case someone/thing from Elys would by Elysian...

That's a cool idea. xD

It's probably more likely to be Elice after Marth's sister, though even that wouldn't make too much sense other than being a nifty little reference.

Butbutbut, doesn't the name "Elice" have the accent on the first E? Like how "Alice" has the accent on the A? Not to mention my obsession with non-localized things: fan translation from FE1/3 is "Ellis".

Butbutbut, doesn't the name "Elice" have the accent on the first E? Like how "Alice" has the accent on the A? Not to mention my obsession with non-localized things: fan translation from FE1/3 is "Ellis".

By 'accent' I assume you mean a stressed syllable. Actually, I've never been too sure how to stress Elice, or whether the '-ice' has a short 'i' or an 'ee' sound, but I tend to think of it as how you've described. I don't see how it matters though.

Yes, yes, stressed syllable. ^^; Thank you.

I've just assumed that it is a short 'i', because when it comes to that name (however it's spelled) it is more often than not enunciated with a short 'i' as opposed to a long 'i' or a long E. New spell: Elice! "El ice". Muhaha. *shot* And it matters because that guy stressed the syllable with the short 'i'. ....Or....

Or...it doesn't matter....and I'm just being annoyed/picky about names... BLAME IT ON MY MY OWN NAME AND IT'S TEN-MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS TO SPELL IT! It has made me sensitive to name-butchering!

But what is the English name of Chrom's kingdom? Where'd everyone find it?

It was spoken by the localization manager during his introduction of the game, around here. It wasn't seen in in-game printed text, so we're not sure how it's actually spelled; general consensus is that whatever it is, it doesn't quite sound like "Iris".

Edited by Rhinocerocket