Windows Live Messenger will be taken offline next year

Raven

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So uh are there any other IM clients that are similar in nature to WLM with Messenger Plus because I really don't want to use one that doesn't have features like that. Skype is cool for people that like video chats but I don't even have a webcam so it's not better for me, plus the lack of custom emoticons and customizable fonts/display names is something I really don't like. Also sharing pictures/files on WLM is really easy and convenient and I'll miss that. :(

Another big issue for me is that Skype has to be downloaded to use. When I'm at college, I'm using public computers, so I sign in to Hotmail, which has a fairly skeletal version of WLM. It may not have any fancy features, but it's better than nothing. This is the only way I can communicate with my friends while I'm there (for 7-8 hours a day), and if that's removed, then what? Skype isn't even an option because I would have to download it on every single computer I use every day since any downloads are erased when the computers are restarted.

I'm totally up for a WLM party on Dec. 31 even though I don't really know you guys nor do I have any of you on WLM sgsdhgsadh

If all your friends have GMail accounts you could use Google Talk. It's got about as many features as the Hotmail web MSN and you don't need to download anything. I use it in a pinch, and as a bonus it forwards messages to my Android phone when I'm not at my computer.

Personally I see myself just using Steam and IRC to contact every person I actually care to talk to. Sometimes Facebook for en masse planning of events. MSN fell from grace ages ago, removing features and futzing up file transfers to push unnecessary social feeds instead.

• 1 month later...

I've only used it to chat with some friends from youtube.

I now use only hotmail anyway. Which is actually my new e-mail address now (And one of the serivces needed to validate and use youtube accounts.)

Edited by Katarina