Expression in online text

Junkhead

id sy u don se expresssion much NEmoar cuz peeps dun prctis riting Enuff.

Unfortunately, I write much like a typical scientist: dry and passive. It works well when describing things objectively; however, it's simply not gripping writing. I don't mind much when reading because I enjoy that style, but I'd like to practice a healthy balance in my own writing because of my audience. They usually deserve better than my dry, boring writing style.

It really is difficult to express emotion within one's writing, though, because in daily life body language and verbal cues are really how we determine the emotions someone is feeling at any given time. Writing loses both of those. The more you write, the easier it becomes to create writings that convey your emotion.

If you put enough fuckin' smileys in your post, everything's expressive. :B

I tend to type a bit like how I speak, so I'll, like, throw in Valley Girl "likes" and cap my sentences off with "mate, man, dude, bro, yo," etc. Eh. And I use a lot of fragments and contractions.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

I think too many emoticons in a forum post or something similiar are too distracting from the text at hand.

That, and reaction images do the job better anyway.

And since posting isn't like taking part in an active conversation, I take the time to proofread and insert proper grammar and punctuation.

chat conversations on the other hand, that's where I really burst out ( ¬‿¬)

Edited by Ike-Mike

If you put enough fuckin' smileys in your post, everything's expressive. :B

I tend to type a bit like how I speak, so I'll, like, throw in Valley Girl "likes" and cap my sentences off with "mate, man, dude, bro, yo," etc. Eh. And I use a lot of fragments and contractions.

That's pretty fly and, like, kickin' sweet, brah.

using certain emoticons makes me parse you as a huge tool but with certain others i don't care

i firmly believe that anybody who uses xD instead of XD is bad at the internet. some people would argue the same about using either but whatever

idgaf about tone, i almost never find it hard to interpret the tone of other people and just assume everybody understands mine correctly. anything i do to note my tone on the internet is subconscious at this point

Yeah but you have the equivalent of 2 laughinggirls.jpg in your sig, which usually illustrates your tone perfectly. Not all of us are so well-equipped.

i firmly believe that anybody who uses xD instead of XD is bad at the internet. some people would argue the same about using either but whatever

Lol. I use both, but favor XD, because indeed, I like emoticons that make slightly more sense. But I wish I knew how to type xx vertically. For places that translate XD.gif into a cyclops, xd is just as good.

And it's all down to my personal preference :P

I sometimes write in an apathetic style but usually, I try to use proper grammar and punctuation whenever possible because I prefer my posts to be readable. Generally I'd like people to think I'm fairly intelligent (or at least, not retarded).

A pet peeve of mine though is when people constantly end their sentences with ellipses. It just drives me up a wall for some reason, I don't know why.

Edited by Tyrant Sage

Lol. I use both, but favor XD, because indeed, I like emoticons that make slightly more sense. But I wish I knew how to type xx vertically. For places that translate XD.gif into a cyclops, xd is just as good.

And it's all down to my personal preference :P

I actually like xD far more, as it gives the appearance of a much larger mouth. It's cuter.

So there.

I sometimes write in an apathetic style but usually, I try to use proper grammar and punctuation whenever possible because I prefer my posts to be readable. Generally I'd like people to think I'm fairly intelligent (or at least, not retarded).

A pet peeve of mine though is when people constantly end their sentences with ellipses. It just drives me up a wall for some reason, I don't know why.

No, I agree, it is annoying.

Especially when an ellipsis is supposed to represent an incomplete thought, yet many folks still use them at the end of ordinary sentences.

I actually like xD far more, as it gives the appearance of a much larger mouth. It's cuter.

So there.

I don't particularly enjoy emoticons, but I will agree with you here.

I also hate using "haha," but it's probably better than saying "I find that pretty funny!"

Edited by Phoenix Wright