A study of Imagine Breaker and Personal Reality

Ether

Today we will be discussing Kamijou Touma's Imagine Breaker, with regards on it's effect to it's surroundings as well as 'Personal Reality'.

To begin, look at Kamijou Touma himself. In combat situations, he resorts to his standard finisher, which is a right hook to the face, on... well, we can call it most occasions. On several occasions, this is accompanied by the phrase "I'll destroy that screwed up illusion of yours!" or some variation thereof. In the context that we are given, it is a fairly simple connection, Touma uses the Imagine Breaker to negate any interference and gives a heavy finishing blow, but when you look past the given context and at the deeper meaning, everything changes.

For all of human history, the face has been considered a, if not the, major identifying trait of a person. The face shows emotion, is the hub of 4/5 senses, and just generally is the main factor in human interaction. The face is the mask a person wears in order to conceal their innermost thoughts and feelings, or to conversely reveal them to the world. When Touma punches an opponent in the face with his Imagine Breaker, the true illusion he is destroying is the facade that they hide behind, not only from others, but from themselves as well. Faced with this sudden realization and stripped of that protection, they fall to Touma.

This also plays a role in the fact that most cases of Touma giving someone a good right hook lead to that person siding with Touma in the future. With their mask destroyed, they can no longer fully return to the life they once knew, and thus with nowhere else to turn, they follow Touma, who must have some sort of clue as to what they should do with their lives, if he were to act as he had.

People once diametrically opposed to Touma now stand at his side, their own prior selves culled by Imagine Breaker, and their revealed inner-selves clinging to the pillar that is Touma. This also explains why Touma never need punch characters such as Mikoto or Index, their masks were not harmful to Touma, thus there was no need to destroy them.

When one looks at this in accordance with 'Personal Reality' and it's connection to ESPer powers, an interesting connection can be made. Because one's personal reality is a requirement to manifest an ESPer power, should destroying that personal reality via destroying the mask, a key component of that reality, not render an ESPer's ability temporarily unusable? Thus Imagine Breaker attacks the core of the power itself, in order to dispell it. The same can be said of magic spells, which in general are centered around a faith of some sort. By attacking the core, and destroying the illusion of faith itself(faith being considered an illusion due to the fact that it cannot in any physical sense be proven, faith thus requires some sort of self-imposed ignorance to that which opposes it, such as theories or other faiths), Imagine Breaker severs the magician from the source of their magic, causing the spell to fail. This is why that which is supernatural can be negated by Imagine Breaker, as it removes a key factor that allows those phenomenon to occur.

Thus, Touma can be considered perhaps the world's greatest con artist. Using Imagine Breaker, he destroys anything opposed to himself, while amassing a constantly growing army/harem/whatever you want to call it consisting of those he has broken down. By becoming a target of Touma, one loses any sense of their prior selves, and become puppets, tied to the strings his forward actions command. As mentioned earlier, this is why Mikoto and Index never need be punched by Touma, as they are under his control already to the point he needs them, and thus he need not enslave them with Imagine Breaker. An example of what happens to a character effected by Imagine Breaker, and then left to wallow in their own devices after the fact, is Accelerator. Just look at what happens to that guy after he loses to Touma to get a general idea.

Anyway, that is my bullshit rant of the day, take nothing mentioned above with a grain of salt, comment if you would like, etc etc have a nice day.

Ether needs to not have too much coffee and nothing to do at work for 2 hours.

does it count for anything that I actually read the entire thing (well duh you wrote it) but I wanted cliffnotes anyway because I didn't understand any of it?

does it count for anything that I actually read the entire thing (well duh you wrote it) but I wanted cliffnotes anyway because I didn't understand any of it?

I didn't mean it as 'pfft scrub can't read' so much as 'oh god if I tried to explain all of the things I would be typing out FE4 Thread or something ahhhhh'

But I suppose I can give some concise worldbuilding such things.

We've got two major sides, the magic side and the science side. Magicians are based from various churches whereas the science side is led by Academy City, which brings out psychic powers using formulas, called ESPers. Magicians and ESPers make supernatural things happen with their spells/powers.

Anyhow, then we have Touma. Touma's right hand is called Imagine Breaker, and basically, if it touches anything supernatural, said supernatural thing goes away. He also has his signature attack, which is a right hook to the face, pretty self-explanatory. People that Touma punch in the face also have a tendency to fight as his allies later on.

So basically the whole thing is just me making vague connections with things and how the face is a window to one's soul and such, so if you break the face you break the person, so this guy is like building an army of broken souls to do is bidding by punching people. Or something.

I guess if there was anything specific I could go more... specific on it, but I suck at broad explanation things oh dear

So basically the whole thing is just me making vague connections with things and how the face is a window to one's soul and such, so if you break the face you break the person, so this guy is like building an army of broken souls to do is bidding by punching people. Or something.

okay that actually made sense!

I feel as though this is a targeted jab, though I'm not quite sure if it's a malicious one...

ether, would I ever make a jab (ahaha pun) at you

that line actually did make sense and now the rest of the stuff is falling into place :(

ether, would I ever make a jab (ahaha pun) at you

that line actually did make sense and now the rest of the stuff is falling into place :(

Come on now Issac Isac Isaq Yzark ... Ike, leave me a bit of room to tease, hun~ <3

Overanalysis/10.

The reason why Touma has a harem is because his life is secretly a dating sim. :P:

Pfft, overanalysis =P

Caffiene wouldn't make me do that, I trust fully in it's asinine conclusions.

could you repeat that

If you want girls to like you and do whatever you want, you've gotta punch 'em in the face. That's Kamijou Touma's way.

If you want girls to like you and do whatever you want, you've gotta punch 'em in the face. That's Kamijou Touma's way.

can't I just use my hypno-glasses?