Nintendo Direct event tomorrow morning (Dec. 5)

Klytus

Hmmm... I always figured that a Majora's Mask remake would be problematic for Nintendo.

Not that I don't see why so many people consider this the best in the series or at least somewhere at the top since I'm kinda among those and all, but at the short term it looks like a cash-in, with it's reused NPC models and critically low number of dungeons.

Though, personally I also simply prefer ALttP in order to find out how it would look like, when Nintendo gets a new dimension to work with.

Majora's Mask always was in 3D, so a remake won't really change anything about the game.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I always figured that a Majora's Mask remake would be problematic for Nintendo.

Not that I don't see why so many people consider this the best in the series or at least somewhere at the top since I'm kinda among those and all, but at the short term it looks like a cash-in, with it's reused NPC models and low number of dungeons.

I think it was the use of the three day system that was praised, but in truth, Nintendo came up with that to save memory on the game's cartridge, they probably didn't realize how innovative it turned out.

Huh, I always thought that the three-day system was what people hated about the game (MM is not as popular as it might seem). I actually didn't mind it, I just don't like that you can only truly save by using the Song of Time and resetting time. I'm aware that you can also use owl statues, but doing that is only temporary. The save is erased when you load the file again.

There are many other things I dislike about the game too though, of course (like too much side stuff, not enough main story and dungeons, boring areas and dungeons to begin with, etc. I did love Ikana Canyon and the Stone Tower Temple though. The whole turning-the-temple-upside-down thing was genius). It'd be stupid to hate on the game just for one little thing. xP

A Link to the Past is a masterpiece when it comes to old games from the SNES era, imo. It could use a little more side-content, but I love its number of dungeons and its difficulty (to an extent. A few times it just frustrated me so much that I wanted to pull my hair out) and its large overworld. In fact, it has two overworlds counting the Dark World, which is even better. It has awesome music two, as Hyrule Castle's theme and Hidden Mountain & Forest are two of my top favorite Zelda music. <3

Edited by Anacybele

I think it was the use of the three day system that was praised, but in truth, Nintendo came up with that to save memory on the game's cartridge, they probably didn't realize how innovative it turned out.

Really? Do you maybe have a source for that?

Not that I know, but personally I would have guessed that keeping track of all the NPCs and events at all times would eat quite a bit of memory. And this game actually needed the Expansion Pack. So I'm kinda curious now.

Well, I wouldn't know. xP

Oh, I forgot to mention that ALttP is also Aonuma's favorite Zelda game, so remaking it would be a great homage to him. He's done awesome stuff for Nintendo, that guy.

Really? Do you maybe have a source for that?

Not that I know, but personally I would have guessed that keeping track of all the NPCs and events at all times would eat quite a bit of memory. And this game actually needed the Expansion Pack. So I'm kinda curious now.

Read it on Wikipedia, it quoted an article on IGN in which the director, Eiji, said they made the three day system to "make the game data more compact while still providing deep gameplay".

So um is there any news about an European Nintendo direct?

The European Nintendo direct should be broadcasted at the same time the North American one is broadcasted.

Here's the link to website I found this at.

Hope that answers you question.

Edited by Ace Tactician

So um is there any news about an European Nintendo direct?

Yes actually. Nintendo of Europe will be holding there own Direct presentation at the same time as America's Direct. IIRC, I recall it being mentioned as 6 p.m. CET.

EDIT: Ninja'd

As for the people hoping for there to be a new Zelda announced in this Direct, it won't happen. According to http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/, the focus is going to be on already announced games that are coming next year. As much as I would like it, I doubt we'll hear anything about a new Zelda game until at least E3.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

Yeah yeah Zelda's great BACK TO FIRE EMBLEM. :Joshua:

Excited and hoping to the high heavens for a release date. Even though that guy in the hat isn't in the game. For some reason. January is a bit soon, though. I wanted to finish Shin Monsho and then replay Radiant Dawn (now that I've replaced my broken Wii with a U) for the umpteenth time before Awakening's release. And you know, I'm surprised Google Chrome's spell-check hasn't underlined the word 'umpteenth' in red. That is awesome.

The European Nintendo direct should be broadcasted at the same time the North American one is broadcasted.

Here's the link to website I found this at.

Hope that answers you question.

Yup it does. Thank you.

I'm pretty interested in Luigi's mansion 2. I've borrowed the previous one and while it did't blow me away it was still fun.

Edited by Sasori

Read it on Wikipedia, it quoted an article on IGN in which the director, Eiji, said they made the three day system to "make the game data more compact while still providing deep gameplay".

Thanks for the link. But as far I see in the interview, they talk about the game being compact in context to the whole "develop a Zelda in only one year" thing and not in the context of saving memory.

Anyway, I expect that the curiosity about what news there will be once I'm back home, will be pretty annoying during the day.

Edited by BrightBow

If the nintendo direct event does show tomorrow, anyone know where I can watch it? I tend not to get caught up in videos that leak information about gameplay.. But as I've already played the japanese version, I don't mind seeing info on a US version.

P.s. I got a new JP 3DS! Cheaper than the last one I had to buy ^-^

Edited by TwinBlade

If the nintendo direct event does show tomorrow, anyone know where I can watch it? I tend not to get caught up in videos that leak information about gameplay.. But as I've already played the japanese version, I don't mind seeing info on a US version.

You can watch it here

http://www.nintendo....intendo-direct/

Edited by Naui

Though, personally I also simply prefer ALttP in order to find out how it would look like, when Nintendo gets a new dimension to work with.

It'd look like Ocarina of Time.

Young defenseless kid wakes up to find that their guardian is dead and they're the chosen one, so they need to collect three jewels to obtain the Master Sword. To obtain these jewels, they travel through places like the Lost Woods, Zora's River, Death Mountain, Kakariko Village, and Hyrule Castle. After doing this, however, they find themselves in a dark, malevolent land, and are forced to find and rescue six sacred maidens before going to save Zelda from Hyrule Castle, now Ganon's Castle. The main differences between them are throwing in time travel, more colorful dungeons, and having two of the maidens become the supersexy dudes Darunia and Rauru. Items found within the game include such tools as an irrationally large hammer, a grappling hook, a mirror shield, silver and gold gauntlets, a magical flute with a tragic backstory, and, if you look hard enough, three legendary pieces of magic that ultimately use too much MP to be worthwhile.

Granted half of this is also the content of most of the other Zelda games released after ALTTP, but that's Zelda for you.

Really, the only major games that Nintendo has to announce American release dates for at this point are the following:

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening

2. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

4. Project X Zone

5. Castievania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate

6. Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 5

8. Dragon Quest VII

9. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

10. Monster Hunter 4

11. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate & The Infinite Labyrinth

12. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

13. Shin Megami Tensei 4

14. Unchained Blades

15. Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

So really, although the likelihood of this new Nintendo Direct only being for Wii U games, it's equally likely that any of the release dates of these titles will be announced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Fire Emblem news, though.

Edited by Karaszure

It'd look like Ocarina of Time.

Young defenseless kid wakes up to find that their guardian is dead and they're the chosen one, so they need to collect three jewels to obtain the Master Sword. To obtain these jewels, they travel through places like the Lost Woods, Zora's River, Death Mountain, Kakariko Village, and Hyrule Castle. After doing this, however, they find themselves in a dark, malevolent land, and are forced to find and rescue six sacred maidens before going to save Zelda from Hyrule Castle, now Ganon's Castle. The main differences between them are throwing in time travel, more colorful dungeons, and having two of the maidens become the supersexy dudes Darunia and Rauru. Items found within the game include such tools as an irrationally large hammer, a grappling hook, a mirror shield, silver and gold gauntlets, a magical flute with a tragic backstory, and, if you look hard enough, three legendary pieces of magic that ultimately use too much MP to be worthwhile.

Granted half of this is also the content of most of the other Zelda games released after ALTTP, but that's Zelda for you.

Not really. The only games similar in concept to ALttP are OoT and TP, imo. And even then, TP is less similar than OoT is. The rest of the Zelda games have their own unique formulas and some don't even feature the Master Sword or Ganondorf at all.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Fire Emblem news, though.

It's the only game I really care about at this point. Though some of the others you mentioned (namely Project X Zone, Animal Crossing, and Flying Fairy) are the ones I've been waiting around for as well since early this year.

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh!!!

The blue 3DS?! Are you guys serious? I really hope it comes out. I really, really do.

In fact, if it didn't come out in America, I was thinking about saving money for the Japanese one... as overpriced as it is.

But, I guess I won't have to! Actually, I still may buy the Japanese one... I need a Japanese one.

My DS lite is breaking down... and I need a Japanese 3DS to play FE12... and I already have a purple American 3DS.

Oh! I can buy both! *rubs his hands together, thinking of how he could save up that much money*

*sigh* I guess that's just one more thing to add to the already long list of things I want... XD

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

Gamestop has the US release set for 3/31/2013. I'd be overly surprised if we get it before that. (Although a valentine's day release to commemorate the return of the pairing/children system would be kinda funny).