Never underestimate a younger sibling

Elinor Cross

So I borrowed a friend's copy of Fire Emblem Awakening and their japanese 3DS so I could play it and I had been doing really really well (im at the final chapter). Well, I left the 3DS out with the game when I went to a manditory training for my job that took 2 days and my little brother picked it up and started playing the game.

He made a new file, made his character and went from there.

When I got home I was actually really surprised that he managed to not only get to chapter 22 on his own but he had recruited most of the children characters, married everyone, and had a decent grasp of what was going on.

Take note my little brother is 13 right now and has trouble understanding his own Birth Language English (and that I only have the most basic understanding of Japanese myself).

Turns out he had actually been listening to me when I played and how I made comments on everything (and he had been watching with me when I used ShadowofChaos's Let's Play of the game as a refference at times for certain things).

His stats for the games were as follows:

Name: Ma i ka ru (Michael. He got it Katakana, which I was impressed with. Must have used my 'cheat sheets' )

Body Type: 1

Hair Type: 3 (Spiky-ish one that is tied)

Hair Color: Brown

Class: Grandmaster (The skills he has tells me he had managed to reclass the a DragonMaster, Assassin, Hero, and Great Knight)

His lover, to my surprise, was also Tiki.

This certainly opened my eyes to my little brother.

Anyone else got similar surprising stories about letting family play Fire Emblem?

(In related storytelling: I let my older brother play Fire Emblem 7 -the english version- and he couldnt beat Lyn's Tale. how, I have no idea).

Sorry if this seems random and not to be posted in this forum specifically. Just wanted to share.

Nah.

The only story i have is that i started playing fire emblem because a friend found FE9 in my older brother's room and decided to try it. I then bought it off him and found it to be a pretty good game...

Well, I still play on. My brother doesn't play the games anymore...

Well, I never got my brother to play the main game, but when I let him try the trial maps of Path of Radiance... I saw his delight in stripping everybody of their equipment and see how long they can live until death.

I suppose that can count.... kinda....

My brother holds the best record on Hector mode on FE7, that will change soon.

(That, and he pulled off the astonishing task of beating MGS3 3DS on European Extreme, I wouldn't even attempt that)

Edited by Knight

I happened across my brother watching a funny scene involving a lost pink-haired girl in a game.

Fast-forward a few years later, I'm into Melee and starting FE7. I came across that scene, and I was like "Hey, I've seen this before!"

Edited by Miscellany

At age 9, My son beating FE8 in as much of an LTC way possible, without warp (IIRC 166 turns), and properly tiering the units after a second play through of Normal (little tower abuse) to roughly match the tier lists of SF damn closely.

He even calls FESS "Flipping Easy Seth Solo"

He has never visited the forums of SF.

Older siblings suck at games? My older sister tried FE:7 once and couldn't get through Lyndis Mode (not HM) she couldn't find anyone to kill Ludveck because no one could solo him without going back to heal. and well. her money was all gone because she overused Serra's Heal staff and she didn't want to take 2 turns to walk to a fort in the rain.

EDIT: Lundgren.

Edited by Silith

On another note, none of my friends have any skill in Fire Emblem at all, my one friend ended up killing Vanessa and Ross the chapter they were recruited on SS, another one of my friends can't get through a single chapter in RD without asking me what to do every five seconds.

Well, I was the later sibling in FE stakes: my younger (and more adventurous) brother bugged me to play FE10 for ages, insisting I'd like it and one day I gave up and gave it a go. A few years on I'm better at FE that him but more pertinently I'm much more into it than him; I've played FE4 and FE2 and he's never finished a Fire Emblem. He's struggling with FE8 on normal mode but admittedly he's being anal and refusing to let enemy-held loot go.

I've only recently convinced my little sister to try out FE13 when it comes out, and that was 'cause she saw Masked Marth and wanted to marry him in-game. She's in for an unpleasant surprise... XD I myself only started FE maybe one or two years ago with Shadow Dragon. Gone back and played 7 and 8. Tried to play 4 (I think it was 4...) but the huge maps and ancient artstyle deterred me. Then I tried to emulate 9 on Dolphin but my laptop's no gaming machine. And for some reason I didn't know that 6 had an English patch till recently, so I tried that but the stat "gains" weren't terribly in my favour. XD So yeah, still a pretty casual player but hopefully my sister will get into the series, even if it's just 'cause she loves the fact that she can marry any guy in the game.

Edited by Keilis

My brother beat Part I of RD by himself on Hard. He's 9.

W-w-w-WHAT?!?

Also, I have no juicy stories to share because I'm the only one in my family who even pays any attention to these games.

Edited by Levant Fortner