Awake! 2/4 Release Celebration Spriting Comp

Lenh

@Lenh - I kind of wish you wouldn't add in the bit with NDS/3DS. It's kind of misleading for me, since what I'm assuming the general style you want is essentially SNESFE/GBAFE-type. Every time I see this NDS/3DS nonsense, it always gets my hopes up for actually being able to use that style and not just pixel art. Maybe remove that altogether?

It's just kind of needlessly confusing, I guess? Could we maybe just keep it to strictly SNES and GBA?

Also, would it be acceptable to create a mock-up screen as "proof" that our sprite works, if it's different than the usual style?

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seph: Not sure where WiiU came along.

Jelly: Looking at the sizes now, yeah, it does make more sense to keep it SNES/GBA, and don't think anyone will miss it (so wish granted).

If it's different than the usual style it'll be acceptable to provide a mock-up for proof.

Too easy to wow people with animations, unfair to categorize with stills.

The people most likely entering in battle sprites will be animators anyways. Shit, I could do a battle still. There's not much effort involved in one frame, not nearly as much as a mugshot, and it's pretty simple to throw something together.

Just sharing the love ^_^

Since the format requirements were confusing I've reworded them and taken out the obvious 'make sure it's still a mug/BS/map' bit, and officially added the mockup bit. Going to keep the names of entrants hidden on Post #2 for now, then show 'em about a day before the deadline so everyone can double-check that they've been included.

dimensions say 240x160 pixels

converted to gba tiles = 30x20 tiles

divided by 2x2 gba tiles per map tile = a 15x10 map

yep you'll need to reinvent the entire map in a portion that only fits on the screen of the gba

(no i'm not serious)

Lenh said reinvent or remap any FE maps. So probably the maximum size a FE map has. Good idea to wait for Lenh to confirm.

Gosh, it's almost like you run this competition.

Aw man there's no cap to lift from the Mapping Comp. :(

It has to be playable under FE mechanics, i.e. not ridiculously large. I'll say now no larger than the largest map in Seisen/Thracia. Gonna look for tile dimensions this evening, unless someone knows that number already.

According to Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial, FE7 maps don't get any bigger than 43 x 36 tiles, which is 688 x 576 pixels. I'm not sure if this is the technical limit or just FE7's biggest map. It does vary between each game, too.

A good map size is probably 30x30 for the max size. That'll get a medium size map, at most, and people can make any map from there, down. (30x30 would be for the height and width in the map making programs, mappy and tiled.)

Welp, on the SNES side the cap came around 64x64 (1024x1024px). That's not going to fit well on a browser window much.

Setting the cap to 36x36 (576x576px) for max map dimensions, ok?

Gosh, it's almost like you run this competition.

I do in fact I am now the host of this contest. I have overthrown Lenh and tied her to a chair and gagged her with her own scarf, and i'm laughing with my hands rubbing against each other so hard steams emit. Mwuwahahahahahahahahahahaha I am going to change the rules to suit a proper tournament of pixels! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

-Coughcoughcough- Excuses me. Bad case of cold going around lately.