[Help!] The forum I like won't respond to my posts (´・ω・`)

Lord of Gabriel Knight

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

389596ba5bad78e67516c5330abf5850.png

Color coded!

Red - Tiles are cut off in one form or another.

Yellow - Nothing going on in this space. I recommend either adding something or doing away with it altogether.

Green - Comes off looking artificial because it's so clean cut/straight.

You learn quickly, though!

Stop reminding me that I want to eventually do an in-depth mountain tutorial...

I have to disagree with your critique of the ocean on the far left side. I think it looks absolutely fine. I hate it when people insist that everything on the map should look busy. Why can't an ocean just be an ocean?

Yeah, I agree with Ninja. The ocean looks alright despite a bit of tile spam, it doesn't seem to need anything else.

I have to disagree with your critique of the ocean on the far left side. I think it looks absolutely fine. I hate it when people insist that everything on the map should look busy. Why can't an ocean just be an ocean?

It's not that it looks bad, it's the fact that if Gabriel were to remove 2-3 columns of ocean tiles nothing would change about the map. Right now it just feels like the ocean is just...there.

The other changes are looking good.

Agreed; design is about using a palette effectively and efficiently. It's not about making sure everything you can put down is something put down. That's just naive design :/

For the ocean, you've used some darker and lighter ocean tiles, but you haven't used any of the corner pieces to integrate them together. So right now it looks like there are boxes of shoals or reefs in your oceans that do not blend with the deeper tiles.

There's also seems to be only one kind of grass tile used throughout the map, when there are several to choose from. Play around and get a more organic feel for the grass, maybe? Speaking of grass, I think at the top, you have a mountain corner and a land corner that a unit cannot walk past, if that matters to you :<

A

I'm sort of on the fence. While it being just a plain map with no use intended, I'd say the ocean is fine as it is(just needs to be touched up), however the other side of me says "in-game what would be the point of that section? It's just... there." Many GBAFE maps do this all the time to insinuate reinforcements or something similar, but when they don't, it's just pointless and can probably just be trimmed to be a smaller size. All in all, do what you want I suppose, just keep that in mind for when you make maps you plan to use.

Some advice:

1. I think the northern-most coast line is a bit too straight.

2. The path at the bottome coming from the fort towards the ocean looks a bit too straight too.

3. The plains look a bit scarce, you could add a lot more forest/small mountains

4. The mountain range on the left side towards the middle is right-angle: it should look more irregular.

Other than these couple of minor changes, it will look really good in my opinion :D

I've gotten so many different answers, I think I'll just do them all~~

5KQR3.png

Icons galore.
Slim, Iron, Steel, Silver, Poison, Brave, Killer, Armor, Horse, Reaver, Devil, 1st Range (Lightbrand), 2nd range (Runesword), 3rd Range (Stormedge), Dragon, Unique

If you want to know any of the rest, just ask me.

Thanks, Pichu

ModEdit:
Don't double post.
eCut~

Edited by ePamplemouss

Vulenary, Lamp/Lantern, Chest Key (1 use), Door Key, Holy Symbol (replaces Holy Water), Philosopher's Stone (Afa's drops, Metis' Time, etc), Royal Crest (delphi shield), Topaz, Sapphire

Elixir, Lockpick, Guild Ring (Member Card), Silver Ring, Soul Mirror (Iron Rune), Antidote, Diamond, Ruby, Emerald.

Lunar Sigil (Master Seal), Astral Crest (Ocean Seal), Solar Sigil (Heaven Seal), Abyssal Seal ( Fell Contract)

Chimaera Tail: HP

Tiger Fang: Str/Mag

Hawk's/Mogall's Eye: Skl

Serpent's Blood: Spd

Hare's Foot: Luk

Dragonscale: Def

Goat's Horn: Res

Roc's Plume: Mov

Mandrake's Pistil: Con

• 3 weeks later...

Had to search out your gallery thread after Alfred Kamon mentioned your work in his project thread.

I'm definitely impressed at the wide range of icon designs you've got; I wouldn't have though of using sword bases like the ones for the Armorslayer and Devil Sword, for instance. I love the fact that the Brave Sword is totally the Soul Calibur from SC2.

I see a ton of talent here, and while everyone has their own unique method of designing icons, I think that with further application in a few areas*, you could easily be one of the premier icon makers of our community.

*Namely proportions/size (1), shape/design (2), and shading (3).

1) Some icons are oddly proportioned, like the aforementioned Armorslayer with its large blade and comparatively smaller handle or the axe two to the left of the last one (the crescent-topped one) with its thin haft. (In general, IS's axes have hafts that are two pixels wide instead of one, for example.)

2) Some of the icons are a bit odd when it comes to shape - the Silver Axe (I can't say that I've seen axes with blades shaped like that anywhere), the anti-armor axe, the Hammer reaver (more specifically its head), and a few of the icons in the upper-right block of weapons (just to the right of the center of the image on the top row), just to name a few. It also feels like some are a tad visually busy, making it hard at 1x zoom to clearly pick up on 100% of the details.

I get a "square" vibe when I look at the whole sheet, too. Perhaps that might be stemming from the abundance of one pixel width handles/hafts/shafts of the lances, axes, and staves, though.

3) Obviously, this one falls under the "easy to understand, never going to master" category (even for myself). Some of your icons have impeccable shading - the stat boosters, the Brave Sword, Brave Lance, Devil Sword, Soul Mirror, and Elixir all are top-notch. But then the gems, for example, have a ton of outline colors in their centers to show the edging on the cuts and the only one it really works for is the Ruby because of the majority of the icon is red and the outline blends more against it. A few of the tomes feel either too contrast-y or not contrast-y enough - the middle to later Light tomes seem like they have too much of a gap between the shades, in my humble opinion.

Edited by Lord Glenn