[Help!] The forum I like won't respond to my posts (´・ω・`)

Lord of Gabriel Knight

If you're looking to reduce colors, first thing I'd get rid of is the yellow. Otherwise try mashing some of the greys. I think the palette needs evening out in general, though. Also, you can use border color to shade the cape with, too. Head feels a little bit large in comparison to vanilla. There's lot of room for body space, so I'm not really sure why you're not using it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty good. I like overall design and look of the character.

As far as CnC I'd just have the shoulders just go straight out and down instead of doing that little angle curve that they have (I guess to define the shape of the jacket). Also the mouth seems to be angled too far sideways. The shading is a little off on the jacket as well.

587X9.png

Cool design yo, your stuff has improved! :D

The far eye and the mouth were both kinda extreme so I edited it a little. Something else I noticed (but didn't touch) was that the contrast in his neck is kinda weird, like, the shadow under his chin is light compared to how stark in shadow the outline of his collarbone/neck muscles are--use more of that dark color under the chin imo

Also I like the white fur better only because the the brown has too much outline color in it. The brown is better for the palette but the outline color is soo dark idk it's weird.

I do agree with the other crit that was made by Ump too, the shoulders being so straight and pointy is kinda strange to look at. I don't know if it's the angle his body is turned at or just the fact that they're so straight, but they do appear to be awkward, like his whole body is tilted to the left. I couldn't say for sure what is actually wrong though :\

Hm... Like I was saying on Skype, I feel like I can already tell that the hair is going to come out chunky. I wonder if maybe you shouldn't make such a strict outline first, and maybe use a reverse shading technique like Niharu? For reference, she sets the background colour to be the same colour as the outline, and then shades with the darkest shade first, and the lighter shade on top of that, and uses the middle colour to even things out. It's just that I know from experience that doing the hair outline first is very strict and you find yourself trying to limit the shape of the hair to a pre-existing mould which ruins the flow of hair IMO. Otherwise, it's a solid start, though she could do with some shading on her upper eyelids, which I'm sure will come eventually. I also just noticed that her hairline seems to be really high?

The blue is incredibly saturated (and are all about the same level of saturation), and the values don't really contrast enough between the 2nd and 3rd colors. Unless she's supposed to have radioactive ultramarine hair, I don't think that neon effect is really what you're going for. Also, a lot of your hair shading pretty much just amounts to pointy chunks of Playdoh, or very large leaves at best. There's not much feeling of depth or flow. They're just shapes.

Most recent one has a really long neck; it's practically the same height as her face. I've absolutely nothing against masculine-looking girls, but I'm not entirely sure that's what you were aiming for. The 1st and 2nd skin tones could also use a little more contrast. As they are, it nearly looks like they're the same tone.

I think this is your best one yet :P: The hat is especially well done. Just quickly, where did the right OPV collar go? The shoulders seem to be at odds with each other as , one appearing to be higher than the other.