Go buy Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Tangerine

Animated by Studio Ghibli and developed by Level 5! I got to play the demo of it recently and I am pretty excited for the release. Comes out next month. It's getting some flak for looking kiddy, but that's a pretty ridiculous criticism; you know what to expect when you're dealing with Ghibli :P:. The world map is reminiscent of Dragon Quest 8, which was super nice considering the distinct lack of world maps in RPGs this gen.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has gained most of its attention by being an exceedingly pretty collaboration between forward-thinking developer Level 5 and animation powerhouse Studio Ghibli. That attention to its presentation is well-deserved, but the level of polish is actually the least interesting thing about Ni no Kuni. Were it not for the high-tech Ghibli gloss, one could play Wrath of the White Witch and mistake it for a 16-bit RPG classic. It recaptures that intangible spirit of the SNES-era RPG — that perfect blend of story, characters, environment, mechanics and design that drew so many people to the genre in the first place. If you have decried the state of the modern RPG and long for an experience reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Final Fantasy IV, you owe it to yourself to try Ni no Kuni.

The game has very strong mechanics at its core, carefully balanced, that make it a ton of fun. Its pacing is impeccable, because it’s not just fun, but consistently fun. Most RPGs tend to have at least one area of drag — you know, “that one dungeon” or “that one part” where either progress slows to a crawl or the difficulty spikes into the heavens, but Ni no Kuni isn’t dragged down by that usual bane of JRPGs. The mechanics stay entertaining the whole game long; the battle system is engaging and doesn’t require any grinding, there are plenty of options for managing your party, and stepping out onto the vast world map never loses its impact. It’s extremely easy to get caught up doing “just one more” quest or exploring islands or finding treasure chests.

Check out the full review here! I don't wanna post it all 'cause the site deserves some attention. Best RPG review site on the web :O.

http://rpgland.com/games/reviews/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/

Edited by Tangerine

I played the demo of it too a couple of days ago and I thought it looked pretty awesome. I'm really considering getting it some time after it comes out, when I do depends on when it comes out in correlation to other games. I couldn't beat the boss of the volcano ._. I got SO close... But then, of course, I died.. And then I was fighting it again and I forgot about the timer and had to do something, came back, and the demo ended. So I haven't attempted it again.

Uhhh, nope? I made a thread for the November PS3 bundle. Pretty sure this is the first game Ghibli has ever animated as well, lol.

Hmm, well, I'm sure I may eventually remember just what this reminded me of... maybe. lol

Uhhh, nope? I made a thread for the November PS3 bundle. Pretty sure this is the first game Ghibli has ever animated as well, lol.

Teeeeeeechnically, Ni no Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage was the first. That's grasping at straws, though, and 'twasn't localized, so who knows if it counts anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't see much point in that I suppose? The PS3 version isn't a port, it has all of the DS game + a sequel. It essentially remakes the DS version and adds on another part and a better battle system.

Edited by Tangerine

Yep

Ni No Kuni’s core gameplay is most reminiscent of a Tales game running headlong into Pokemon, with Ni No Kuni taking equal amounts of both games’ battle systems and melding their features into something fun, coherent and rewarding. Ni No Kuni draws from Pokemon in an obvious way; it emphasizes fighting with creatures you capture in battle. These creatures are called Familiars, and you’ll randomly be able to capture any creature you fight. Familiars can level up, equip weapons and armor and even evolve into stronger forms. The beauty of the system, however, is that it also takes a page out of Pokemon’s book in terms of longterm execution. You don’t need to capture every creature and level it up to ungodly heights. You can capture a dozen of them through the course of the game and be just fine, but there’s more there to explore and take advantage of if you choose to spend the time necessary to do so.

On the other side of the coin, the Tales influence comes from the battle system itself. While you’ll be using Familiars in battle (in addition to fighting in battles yourself, should you so choose), those battles take place in open spaces and occur in real-time. So Ni No Kuni instantly becomes about more than pressing the X button and hoping for (or simply expecting) the best. Instead, it’s about maneuvering around enemies, finding weak spots and openings, switching in and out Familiars on the fly and occasionally resorting to Oliver and his human friends so they can use items and special moves, from spellcasting to mid-battle thievery. This adds layers of much-welcome depth.

From IGN's review here

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review

They also have a great looking gameplay video in the middle of the review to check out.

I didn’t want the game to end. It proved one of those special experiences – like I’ve had with Final Fantasy VI, Wild Arms or Tales of Destiny in the past – where I didn’t want to see the conclusion. I wanted it to keep going. That’s because Ni No Kuni is just that special, and every RPG fan owes it to him or herself to pick it up and see why.

This excerpt in particular is nice; IGN is usually suspiciously mean to modern JRPGs.

Edited by Tangerine

IGN has certain people doing the reviews. The reflections made by one is not necessarily the opinion of many remember. So, they might have a couple people dedicated to reivew of that genre and they are simply a bit more critical of them.

I wouldn't see much point in that I suppose? The PS3 version isn't a port, it has all of the DS game + a sequel. It essentially remakes the DS version and adds on another part and a better battle system.

The only problem is you don't have to draw out your spells, and they're all given to you from the menu instead of you learning them yourself from the book.

I remember learning about that when it was first coming out in Japan on the DS and thought that concept was so cool.

Does anybody know of any good incoming action games that aren't OMG SHOOT THINGS EXPLOSIONS?

Because Mega Man gets his games cancelled, and the "you have three options. gun games, mario games, or rpgs. deal with it" is...I'm sick of it

yes

yes there are

a fuckload of the

stop talking

i don't even know what you mean by action game?

Wasn't too sure about this one until I watched a friend play through the demo. I was won over by the graphics and battle system easily. Oh, and Drippy. He was pretty great.

Have the demo still on my PS3, might actually give it a try myself here in a few.

I dunno, I tried a bit of the demo and wasn't really wowed. It didn't look like moving around actually let you dodge attacks and was mostly for show. Was it just the world's worst place to put a demo or something?

The bosses seem to have huge hit ranges with all but one or two attacks. Otherwise you should be able to dodge plenty of things, and some are better to block. Bosses seem to be ones you want to block, lol.

Oh also, you can switch and call back your familiar at will. You can dodge attacks by timing when to call your familiar back and attack with a character instead. You also get a lot of different commands in the game that aren't in the demo, and some improve your ability to dodge/block attacks.

Edited by Tangerine

Bought it last night, still have yet to play it.

I like the tin box thing I got with it. It's nice-looking.

Did you also get the Griffy DLC voucher and sidequests :D?

Edited by Tangerine