Getting rid of banned Matthew in chapter 8 Lyn Mode

NYZgamer3

Hey,

I'm trying to get rid of the Matthew ban in the prep screen in chapter 8(Lyn mode).

I tried patching Nintenlords character ban and force patch to my hack but an error comes up saying: The Patch doesn't match the file."

Is there a manual way of getting rid of it? Or another way to patch the patches into the ROM?

I tried searching for it, but no luck.

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

The crude way would be to open the UPS file in NUPS and hit "Get patch details". It'll give you the offsets and length of all the bytes changed (there's no scroll bar, though, so best thing is to hit Ctrl+A and then copy/paste) and then you can make the changes manually with a hex editor by C+Ping it from a patched vanilla FE7 ROM. There's probably an easier way, but I've managed to apply patches like this before without a problem.

Edited by Agro

Just hit "Ignore"; if you know the patch doesn't edit any data that you have, it shouldn't be a problem. You can check by reading any doc/source on the patch or using "get patch data" to check where it applies the data and make sure there's edited data of yours already there. This is one of the many reasons keeping track of what data you edit is important while making a hack.

You can manually get rid of it by hacking the ASM, but chances are you wouldn't be asking this question if you could easily do that, so I'm not sure how helpful telling you that is. XP

Okay, another question.

I have it inserted, but not how do I determine who can be banned or forced?

I read the readme but I don't understand it. Do you change the DF0000 that's written or the original pointer table of 08DED8? (This is for character banner the example I'm giving).

there is no table at 0x8DED8

first you want to find the slot of your chapter (multiply the chapter id by 4 and then add that to 0xDF0000 in hex)

at that location write a pointer to a list of characters you want to ban/force

so say i want to ban lyn (0x3) and eliwood (0x1) for chapter 7 (id 0x7)

first i do 0x7*0x4=0x1C so i go to offset 0xDF001C

there, i write a pointer to some free space (say 0xD80000), so i write 00 00 D8 08 at that location

at 0xD80000 i should have 03 01 00

get it?

Okay so for your example, starting from DF001C, you write down 00 00 D8 08 and at pointer D80000 or whatever free space, you write down the character ID, correct?

Just on one part, 00 00 D8 08, where did the 08 come from? Shouldn't it be 00?

[technical terms incoming]

the data in-ROM is called 'hardware data' or something of the sort

in GBAFE the hardware data is at memory address 0x08000000, so to get the memory address of anything in the ROM (which is what you really want to be getting when you make a pointer to anything) you take the offset and add 0x08000000 to it

so

0xD80000 + 0x08000000 = 0x08D80000

which turns into

00 00 D8 08

you'll also want to make sure you're using free space... I typically just use the space after the pointer table--granted make sure you have enough pointer table entries for all the chapters (e.g. in my personal case, my pointer table was larger than normal because I have almost 0x60 chapter slots)