Localized Names

Elinor Cross

Actually I think they might change Brady to maybe Bradley, like the fuhrer in FMA. And I think they might Change Serena since we already have a Selena. Richt's name is what I'm most curious about to see what they do. His name can be read as Richt, Licht, or even Lihto (Lee-toe).

Yeah, but, Tiamo means love and Serena means peace, so Love and Peace!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any reason why they can't just leave her name as it is, though? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see a reason to change it to a different name that doesn't make sense when we've got a perfectly good senseless name already.

Note: the following rant isn't directed toward you; the quote is simply a starting point for it...

[rant]

What's the point of changing ANY of the names? In ANYTHING, EVER? Names are names, they usually don't make sense anyway. Most "names" aren't real words; they are NAMES. But then you've got stupid "names" like Destiny, Cherish, Skye...Why the hell. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif April/May/June/July... At least May isn't only a month, but: "May I?" "Yes, May, you may."

Then "names" that are "words" in a different language. [sarcasm]Sure, NoA, "Cherche" is a really clever name. Why don't you just name someone Sock while you're at it.[/sarcasm]

[/rant]

I know, I know, differing opinions. ._. About names. It'll never end. Thus why that was labeled as a rant; pay it no mind. And not to mention, even I can make a rebuttal for many of the 'points'... Hurray contradictions.

--

I figured out why they changed Velvet. They thought they were being clever. Velvet is a 'foreign' word in Japan, so NoA was like "Hey, let's also use a foreign word for this person's name!" This makes me think they'll definitely leave Tiamo. Then again, they changed Soiree... (Oh and "Velvet" is more a pet's name than a person's name; racism against Taguels, calling them by pet's names!)

Oh, so, if you think Soiree was a dumb name, being "evening reception", then what logic are you using for Cherche, "looking for"? I am genuinely confused and curious, and would like opinions. Of course, maybe the people that don't like Soiree also don't like Cherche....

Hmm, I would say they've been changing obvious English names/words, but now we have Miriel. Still, though. Donny/Denis was changed to Donnel, Liz to Lissa, Velvet to Panne. I could have sworn "Serge" (regardless that it's masculine) was the English variant but apparently it's the French variant, so that point is moot. As such, I do fear for Olivia's name. Hopefully it will survive like Miriel has. For Rey's sake, don't change it NoA!

I would totally legitimately name a character in a proper storyline "Sock" just to screw with English speaking people. In a North American piece of fiction, obviously, or it'll just be changed when localized HARHAR.

Note: the following rant isn't directed toward you; the quote is simply a starting point for it...

[rant]

What's the point of changing ANY of the names? In ANYTHING, EVER? Names are names, they usually don't make sense anyway. Most "names" aren't real words; they are NAMES. But then you've got stupid "names" like Destiny, Cherish, Skye...Why the hell. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif April/May/June/July... At least May isn't only a month, but: "May I?" "Yes, May, you may."

Then "names" that are "words" in a different language. [sarcasm]Sure, NoA, "Cherche" is a really clever name. Why don't you just name someone Sock while you're at it.[/sarcasm]

[/rant]

I know, I know, differing opinions. ._. About names. It'll never end. Thus why that was labeled as a rant; pay it no mind. And not to mention, even I can make a rebuttal for many of the 'points'... Hurray contradictions.

because things that sound good to one culture sound like shit to another. Would you rather everybody have direct transliterations of the katakana for names?

(note: this is a loaded question since if you say no then you invalidate your own rant and if you say yes i'll have more choice things to say)

yes, I read the "disclaimer" but if you're going to publicly rant about something I disagree with I'm going to disagree with it.

EDIT:

I've already resolved that if Gaia does become "Guire" or "Guile", I will be playing Guile's Theme on the LP every single time he Lethalities.

I'm hoping for (but by no means betting on) Gaius for Gaia. That would make me so hard.

Edited by Integrity

[rant]

[/rant]

--

I figured out why they changed Velvet. They thought they were being clever. Velvet is a 'foreign' word in Japan, so NoA was like "Hey, let's also use a foreign word for this person's name!" This makes me think they'll definitely leave Tiamo. Then again, they changed Soiree... (Oh and "Velvet" is more a pet's name than a person's name; racism against Taguels, calling them by pet's names!)

Oh, so, if you think Soiree was a dumb name, being "evening reception", then what logic are you using for Cherche, "looking for"? I am genuinely confused and curious, and would like opinions. Of course, maybe the people that don't like Soiree also don't like Cherche....

Hmm, I would say they've been changing obvious English names/words, but now we have Miriel. Still, though. Donny/Denis was changed to Donnel, Liz to Lissa, Velvet to Panne. I could have sworn "Serge" (regardless that it's masculine) was the English variant but apparently it's the French variant, so that point is moot. As such, I do fear for Olivia's name. Hopefully it will survive like Miriel has. For Rey's sake, don't change it NoA!

I would totally legitimately name a character in a proper storyline "Sock" just to screw with English speaking people. In a North American piece of fiction, obviously, or it'll just be changed when localized HARHAR.

Keep in mind that the people translating this game are PROFESSIONALS, they always have a reason for every name change that they do, even if it doesn't make any sense to you. If you knew a second language, you would understand that some things do not work out too well in another language and culture.

Keep in mind that the people translating this game are PROFESSIONALS, they always have a reason for every name change that they do, even if it doesn't make any sense to you. If you knew a second language, you would understand that some things do not work out too well in another language and culture.

To be fair, the "professionals" don't always exactly do a good job.

I think this translation team is putting in a really solid effort, but just because it's their collective job doesn't necessarily mean they'll do a good one.

EDIT: no that wasn't emphatic enough. I really like what this team's done, overall.

Edited by Integrity

I'm betting on Olivier for Olivia, since her name has that e sound at the end.

I will CRY if that happens.

Well the Olivi-E... they possibly might give her "Olive". Though the "vi" katakana kind of retcons that... BUT HAS THAT STOPPED THEM BEFORE?

I will CRY if that happens.

Well the Olivi-E... they possibly might give her "Olive". Though the "vi" katakana kind of retcons that... BUT HAS THAT STOPPED THEM BEFORE?

I hoping that her name stays as Olivia, I'm going to lol if they localize as 'Olive'.

As a side note, because I think I may have sounded a bit passive aggressive before, I don't actually mind if they change

Nn's (why am I still putting that in spoilers?)

name, it's just that I've seen a lot of posts, mostly in other places, where people seem to assume it is absolutely going to be changed, and I was simply wondering why it seems to be such a sure thing to everyone. There is actually a chance they'll just leave it as it is, right?

I like what they did with Panne. It seemed out of nowhere but it's actually very clever. The others are fairly expected, nothing really to say except perhaps Say'ri, which I also think sounds good

Have they ever officially altered the names of dragons/manaketes? The ones that spring to mind are Chiki -> Tiki (which is pretty much an arguably translation) and Banutu -> Bantu, which is still pretty much close.

The only reason they'd alter it would be for consistent representation of the theme; that is, that the names are double-sounds represented by repetition of a character (or syllable, presumably). I can't see any reason to change Nono for that reason unless they feel like being clever, in which case they'd probably change the other name to match it in some manner.

I hoping that her name stays as Olivia, I'm going to lol if they localize as 'Olive'.

Actually, I do recall that Olive is a person name.

Edited by King Marth 64

I think that was a mistake.

That's because those katakana are easily misread by people.

Nn: ンン

Soso: ソソ

Yes, I know. But they COULD do it, as like a little in-joke or something. It would still be a legitimate name.

Apologies, this is quite delayed.

because things that sound good to one culture sound like shit to another. Would you rather everybody have direct transliterations of the katakana for names?

(note: this is a loaded question since if you say no then you invalidate your own rant and if you say yes i'll have more choice things to say)

yes, I read the "disclaimer" but if you're going to publicly rant about something I disagree with I'm going to disagree with it.

Curious. You seem to imply that "translating" names and "changing" names are synonymous actions. Using the term "direct transliteration" certainly gives me that feeling.

To clarify, I'm using the term "changing" as meaning turning a name into something different than what it started as.

And, no offense, but that's a silly question when considering the ambiguous nature of katakana. I....cannot answer that question simply. What is that word for being able to see multiple sides of an argument? That's what I'm like in this situation, about transliteration. On one hand, yes, because it stays true to the person's actual name. On the other hand, no, because always transliterating katakana is quite silly; but leniency does not entitle one to change a name to something different.

My beef is with names being changed. I've nothing against transliterations; they are close to the person's actual name, even if it might look silly/stupid. But yes, they can end up looking very stupid. That's just my personal opinion about transliterations. I am allowed to have my own opinions, right?

Transliteration vs Translating vs Changing:

[spoiler=Let's have an example...]...such as Stahl's katakana. Transliteration would be "Soru". But the word could be "Sol" because of katakana's obscurity. If it's taken to be "Sol", then it could be translated into "Sun". Although, that's not translating from Japanese. Now, if it's taken to be "Soru", then that is a Japanese word. It means "to shave", so perhaps it would simply be "Shave".

Also, we could mention the Nintendo of Japan "official" romanization: Sort. That's very improper compared to the katakana, but...perhaps the T is supposed to be silent. Either way, continuing.

Now then, we have options. Soru, Sol, Sun, Shave, Sort. You've certainly said it, Integrity: some things sound like shit in certain cultures. We can throw out "Shave" and "Sort". And might as well throw out "Sun" since it is another common English word.

Well.

Regardless of the five options stated, however silly they may seem, Nintendo of America didn't use any of them. They instead changed the character's name to Stahl. It....starts with an S?

Should we have another example, for the heck of it? Let's take Lissa. Transliteration is "Rizu". Rizu looks quite silly, but it's true to the person's actual name. But it could be "Lizu". Or "Riz". Or "Liz". Well hey, Liz makes enough sense in English.

Nope, they changed it to Lissa. It....starts with "Li"?

PS: I thought of "Salt" at one point. Sort could be heard as Solt. Salt. So many possibilities.

If you want to use a particular name, make your own game.

Of course, it's been the norm in the history of video games for some names to be changed. That doesn't mean I have to like it. But also, that doesn't mean I should be forcing my opinions onto others; pretty sure I don't do that, I just...get vocal occasionally. Does it count for something that I usually rant aloud instead of targeting specific people? And hey, the sarcasm directed at NoA, was sarcasm...

Ah last little thing: the 'disclaimer' about it being "just a rant" was so that people who disagree don't have to feel it necessary to speak up. Obviously they can if they want to; this is a thread for opinions. I was trying to skirt around actually saying "I'm not trying to start a war." tongue.gif

EDIT: REY, YOUR PUNS KILL ME. xD!

Edited by Tsamimi

I think they'll either name Nn: Nin, Nun, Ninian, Non, or they could go with Soso.

I like Nin and Non and Ninian. Nun just reminds me of a nun, although it's alternate meaning would actually work well. So if they go with any of those options, I think it'll be fine. I can't see many people complaining no matter what they name her, though.

But it could be "Lizu". Or "Riz". Or "Liz". Well hey, Liz makes enough sense in English.

Nope, they changed it to Lissa. It....starts with "Li"?

Not for a princess..at least in English. I personally would have expected "Elizabeth" and Krom and people close to her would call her "Liz".

I think you're being too analytical about this. Native speakers I know say "Katakana transliteration is messy and usually ends up crappy. Just do the best you can and sometimes completely change it if necessary."

The translation team has been generally doing a great job at that... generally.

"Plegia" still makes me think of Paraplegia.

I don't really like the name Panne, even if it makes sense. I don't really get why they would add another set of wordplay on top of what was already there. You can only stretch the joke so far.

Chrom = love it

Lissa = sounds better

Sully = well she is a tomboy

Stahl = he's 'stahling'

Kellam = like it

Donnel = old mc'donnel had a farm

Lon'qu = sexy

Panne = Sounds like from DBGT

Cherche = what is this? how do you pronounce?

Say'ri = sexy again

Morgan = I'm happy because I don't like the idea of having a daughter named Mark

Valider = now that's unique for a bad guy

City names are okay... Ylisse is exotic and so is Ferox. Plegia is a weird name, but they are weird people.

Edited by Andreyas

Chrom = love it

Lissa = sounds better

Sully = well she is a tomboy

Stahl = he's 'stahling'

Kellam = like it

Donnel = old mc'donnel had a farm

Lon'qu = sexy

Panne = Sounds like from DBGT

Cherche = what is this? how do you pronounce?

Say'ri = sexy again

Morgan = I'm happy because I don't like the idea of having a daughter named Mark

Valider = now that's unique for a bad guy

City names are okay... Ylisse is exotic and so is Ferox. Plegia is a weird name, but they are weird people.

I really also want to know what Cherche means. After all, she's my choice for waifu.