Localized Names

Elinor Cross

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this reminds me of Naruto. When the manga was revealing characters like Pain and Killer B (names which are supposed to be in English from the off) there were significant debates over how to spell their names. Lots of people insisted that it was Pein and Kira Bi (or variations there of). They refused to see that the names might be something other than a straight translation of one of the ways to romanize the katakana.

All of this reminds me of Naruto. When the manga was revealing characters like Pain and Killer B (names which are supposed to be in English from the off) there were significant debates over how to spell their names. Lots of people insisted that it was Pein and Kira Bi (or variations there of). They refused to see that the names might be something other than a straight translation of one of the ways to romanize the katakana.

I really don't care about what the names are...

Some are good. Some aren't so good.

But, eh, I don't care. We're getting the game; I have no complaints. (And if there really is a dual-audio feature, then I could just use that~)

In a few months, no one will care, no matter how much whining there is. Jagen and Ogma and Caeda/Shiida are seeing use over their fan names that had like 2 decades of "tradition," shit like this is nothing.

Am I the only person who doesn't really care if names show up more than once? I mean there's only so many names that could potentially fit in a pseudo-European context. It wouldn't get me ragin' at Nintendo if two people happened to be name Phil or something, I'd just refer to them in-context (assuming there's usually just one Phil in a game) or tag them by what game they're in.

Granted I'm not saying this because I think anybody's name in particular should or shouldn't be changed. But if there were, like, two Selenas, I'd figure out a way to arrange it so it's clear who I'm talking about. I mean there's a Marth in-game and like two DLC Marths and Marths in four other FEs and people don't have tons of trouble explaining who they're talking about.

1. All those Marths are the same person
    and one person pretending to be
  2. Selena from the Sacred Stones actually shows up in this game as a SpotPass character, so there would be two Selenas in the game
  3. Selena's actual Japanese name is Serena
  4. And everyone knows there's a One Selena Limit

Selena's actual Japanese name is Serena

You're so cute. Really.

EDIT: fuck cherrypicking a quote with list tags

Edited by Integrity

But it does make me think of Serene... And they're so different!

I'm pretty sure her attitude not matching her name is part of the joke, which makes me lean more toward "Serena" than "Selena" (despite sounding similar they have different origins). I somewhat doubt her name is going to change, other than probably to some variation of that name (and there are quite a few in various languages, so NoA has lots of options). But I don't think it really matters all that much, so I'm cool with whatever.

All those Marths are the same person

There's a gameplay difference between, like... FE1 Marth, FE3 Book 2 Marth, and Shadow Dragon Marth though. If I just said "man I really had to lean on Marth on that map!" you'd probably have to ask which game I was playing anyway. Hell, you could argue the same thing for FE9/10 characters kind of. If I said "man, Ike keeps getting Speed!" that wouldn't be that unusual for PoR but would be quite nice to hear in RD. People manage to navigate that pretty easily, I think. So if they ever had to reuse a name, it'd be fine as long as they don't stumble upon a situation like the Spotpass stuff.

And Sol's official Japanese name is "Sort". Your point?

It doesn't matter if there are to people in the same name. It happens IRL too.

1. That most people complaining about how the English names are different from the Japanese ones don't even know what the Japanese names are
  2. Works of fiction try to avoid giving several characters the same name to avoid confusion (for both the audience and the writers)

Works of fiction try to avoid giving several characters the same name to avoid confusion (for both the audience and the writers)

She's the only "Selena" in the game storywise. Does it really matter that much if she has the same name "Selena" as FE8 spotpass?

Insisting she's different because the NoJ romanization/transcription to English letters is "Serena" doesn't make sense.

If she's different. Fine. If she isn't? Who cares.

Using NoJ names for the sake of clearing up ambiguity for ENGLISH names (FE8 Selena is Celina... or Seraina) is moot. The game will clear this up in due time.

Boy, reading this whole thread - people get really heated up over names... it's kind of disconcerting.

Anyway, my two cents: I like 'em all. Like most everyone else, I especially like what they did with Morgan. I'm also very glad they changed Soiree, cause that would be a totally stupid name in English.

She's the only "Selena" in the game storywise. Does it really matter that much if she has the same name "Selena" as FE8 spotpass?

Insisting she's different because the NoJ romanization/transcription to English letters is "Serena" doesn't make sense.

Her NoJ name is Serena. If her NoA name is also Serena then it wouldn't be due to changing it since her name was already Serena. If her NoA name is something different it won't be Selena because there already is one.

If she's different. Fine. If she isn't? Who cares.

The writers.

Using NoJ names for the sake of clearing up ambiguity for ENGLISH names (FE8 Selena is Celina... or Seraina) is moot. The game will clear this up in due time.
Um...I know this already...?

Boy, reading this whole thread - people get really heated up over names... it's kind of disconcerting.

Anyway, my two cents: I like 'em all. Like most everyone else, I especially like what they did with Morgan. I'm also very glad they changed Soiree, cause that would be a totally stupid name in English.

People'll get heated over anything. It's my job to keep the simmering entertaining without letting it boil over. Welcome to the forums, don't double- or necropost please. <3

Her NoJ name is Serena.

Her NoJ name is Serena, yes...

since her name was already Serena.

...but for what's relevant to this translation, she doesn't have a name. This quote is the false part of the statement.

I can't wait until Sigurd is localized as Zigludo and all hell breaks loose.

What about Serlis? Although honestly, I like Serlis, so it wouldn't be that bad.

You know, this is starting to make think about what the names would be for the Japan-only characters.

Edited by Konnor97