The term "queer"

I don't use the word much at all. However, of/when I do use it, I'm usually using it when I'm trying to explain someone's personality, not sexuality. Similar to strange, or weird.

lol what agro said. I don't care if you're gay or not, if you're pissing me off I'll call you a queer/fag/douchebag/asshole/etc and if you're not (whatever the state of your sexuality) then I won't refer to you as anything derogatory :P

I don't believe in word discrimination, I think all "offensive" words should be used to describe someone who's being a douche and otherwise, you shouldn't use them :P

I've only really used it to describe a situation that's awkward or uncomfortable to be around. Like "Yeah, they're fine by themselves, but don't hang out with them together in a group. They get pretty queer." (about a couple, or something, idk).

Its more of the original definition of the word.

Personally I can't stand using the word queer to refer to the LGBT community since it's original definition means something that is weird, odd, abnormal or out of place.

LGBT people are none of those, so I think its an inappropriate term to use in reference to them.

But members of the LGBT community are abnormal. Well, I guess that depends on how we're using the word "normal," but it is definitely not the norm to be homosexual. I think the problem is that the word did and still can imply something that is not natural, or that it's necessarily a negative thing.

Anyways, the word still sounds laced with negativity in my ear, so I generally don't say it. But then the majority of the relevant terms can be interpreted as offensive by any given person, depending on the circumstances. It's similar to referring to black people these days. "Negro" is definitely out the window, and it doesn't seem to be acceptable to say "blacks," and even "black people," tends to be taken as disrespectful. You're left with few terms to use so as not to offend.

I think we need to use words as simple expression of ideals, rather than words being the ideals themselves. I think it's more important to read past a person's words and understand what they are trying to say first and foremost, rather than the method used to get there.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Different members of the the homosexual community are offended by different words. Some, for example, are not offended by the word faggot and even use it themselves. It's the same with the word queer. I guess what I'm saying is that people should probably ask before using these words to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings.