Why does the Nintendo 3DS have terrible sound quality?

PuffPuff

You barely can hear it over your headphones as well as whenever your around areas that make alot of noise. Anyone else noticed this? But why is that? Isn't there any way to improve the sound by putting in a new sound card or something into the DS, or installing it into your system? Because you only can get decent sound at all by turning the volume all the way up without headphones and being in a quiet enviroment, or by watching videos of the 3DS games.

Katarina, the sound quality is actually top notch. Like Othin said, the speakers don't get very loud and the original 3DS has better sound output compared to the XL. That's one of the problems I have with it.

I would subscribe to that if it wasn't for the fact that regular DS games are actually louder on the 3DS. Well, at least louder then my DS Lite.

Maybe the purpose is to help in keeping the energy consumption low.

Edited by BrightBow

Funny, I always thought the DS and 3DS systems got loud as heck for handhelds. But that's probably because I have sensitive ears and can hear better than the average person.

With my volume up halfway I can still hear my 3DS blaring through two closed doors some ways down the hall in my house, even with the noise of the TV competing for attention. Headphone volume is just about right for me, too. Most of the time I'm fine with slider about halfway, which coincidentally is how loud I have my phone and my PSP. I wear closed-ear headphones that are partially noise cancelling due to their construction. What kind of headphones are you using? Because headphone quality is a huge factor.