Is My Unit Broken in this Game?

darkkfan

I am probably missing something, but it seems like MU isn't really that great in this game. I mean, I know he joins early, but his stats seem average at best since he is split between Magic and Strength as a Strategist (he only gets to around 25 each on average at 20/20). So I am wondering if MU is worth using, or if he is as broken as in FE12. Because it seems to me statwise that he falls behind units with a specialty in physical attacks that join around the same time (such as Vake). I realize that 25 MAG and 25 STR is a higher total than 40 STR, but wouldn't the unit with just 40 STR or with just 30 MAG be better than a MU who is forced to choose between the two and has reduced damage in either case? I realize that Rainbow cry is broken, but are you essentially just putting up with MU for the first 50-60% of the game just so he can eventually get Rainbow Cry? I'm not trying to make the case that MU is bad, I just don't seem to see why he is so special or as broken as FE12's MU.

I think it was the MU on FE12 that was completely broken.

MU on FE13 seems balanced at start, and considering he can reclass to everything and get all skills, he might get broken at long term for this advantage, but thankfully he doesn't seem to be a stomping powerhouse early.

From what I understand, it's relatively good growths, although maybe not the best, combined with War Knowledge/Veteran making quick leveling when doubled and the best avaliablity duh.

So he's great in most difficulties, but gets even better as the difficulty increases.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by pichupal

From what I understand, it's relatively good growths, although maybe not the best, combined with War Knowledge/Veteran making quick leveling when doubled and the best avaliablity duh.

So he's great in most difficulties, but gets even better as the difficulty increases.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Why is war knowledge so great? Doesn't it just increase the exp by 50% when doubled. And don't you only get like 5-10 exp when doubled too? Unless it applies to when someone is doubled with MU and MU is the active unit, too, in which case I can kind of understand it.

I guess the ability to develop into a competent magic user like a sorcerer is useful since there really aren't many of those in this game (Miriel and Mariabel seem terrible), but it still seems like MU is week in his strategist class.

Why is war knowledge so great? Doesn't it just increase the exp by 50% when doubled. And don't you only get like 5-10 exp when doubled too? Unless it applies to when someone is doubled with MU and MU is the active unit, too, in which case I can kind of understand it.

Veteran grants 1.5x EXP when Avatar is the active unit as well. Playing the demo, when Avatar is being doubled with Frederick, he gets 45 EXP a kill, while Chrom gets 30. (I may be misremembering those exact numbers, but I'm certain Avatar gets more.)

Edit: Ninjas everywhere. XD

Edited by Tarquin

Typically, any solid fighters are getting Double support. And Avatar, as a mage able to take the front lines, is certainly one of those from the start. So you're getting x1.5 Exp for pretty much the entire game, which is ridiculous.

I'm trying to figure out what stat to have as a caster MU's lowest. Str, despite the skill that lets her add Str to Mag and vice-versa? I do kinda want to use both Swords and Magic since I like the Grandmaster class, but if I have to choose just one, it'd be magic...

Edited by CinderSkye

I don't like -Luck because it's not fun to get spontaneously annihilated by random critical hits that you're making worse for yourself

This applies more on the higher difficulties but Gamble is seriously fucking annoying

If you're going for a full mageknight build, HP, Speed, and Defense are the only stats that don't also lower either strength or magic. I'd go with -HP, personally - you take a slight hit to defense and resistance, but less than if you chose defense. Picking speed as your worst stat... is a really bad idea, I would think.

So for a Grandmaster, putting -HP wouldn't be a total disaster? For me, it's between -HP and -Res and I can never decide. I want +Mag so my magic is strong and supplemented by my sword. Not pure Mage at all.

I would be impressed by anyone who has their Avatar use swords and magic equally.

Hell, I'd be impressed by anyone who has their Avatar use swords, period.

So for a Grandmaster, putting -HP wouldn't be a total disaster? For me, it's between -HP and -Res and I can never decide. I want +Mag so my magic is strong and supplemented by my sword. Not pure Mage at all.

Looking at the maximum stats calculator for a Grandmaster, unless I'm missing something, picking HP as your flaw doesn't even affect your max HP. Like, at all. It's always 80. Your growth rate is lowered from 80% to 65%, which, even in a game without infinite level ups is still pretty damn good. Aside from maybe some mild difficulty early on, I don't see why -HP would be so bad.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Myrmidon Tactician, go!

Looking at the maximum stats calculator for a Grandmaster, unless I'm missing something, picking HP as your flaw doesn't even affect your max HP. Like, at all. It's always 80. Your growth rate is lowered from 80% to 65%, which, even in a game without infinite level ups is still pretty damn good. Aside from maybe some mild difficulty early on, I don't see why -HP would be so bad.

I will definitely do it, then. A little more risk sounds like fun anyway, :)

It's not like it's free cap points, though; it comes out of other stats instead.

It's not like it's free cap points, though; it comes out of other stats instead.

Yes, you lose a total of 1 point each in Str/Mag/Lck/Def/Res - which is made up for by your asset, and is still less of a hit to Str and Mag than another flaw would bring. I'm not trying to argue that it's without consequence. I'm not trying to argue, period. Just giving my humble opinion. Why don't you done tell of your recommendation for an equal STR/MAG Avatar, instead of simply criticizing mine. :)

Yes, you lose a total of 1 point each in Str/Mag/Lck/Def/Res - which is made up for by your asset, and is still less of a hit to Str and Mag than another flaw would bring. I'm not trying to argue that it's without consequence. I'm not trying to argue, period. Just giving my humble opinion. Why don't you done tell of your recommendation for an equal STR/MAG Avatar, instead of simply criticizing mine. :)

My goal here right now is to point out pertinent facts in hopes of avoiding any confusion by third parties.