Apparently this game is going to be an RPG

http://indexweb.jp/n...2013/10602.html

Don't know Japanese myself, but apparently that site (which is Index's official site, the company that owns Atlus) states the game will be an RPG, so it plays more like an SMT game than an FE game.

Hope those who know Japanese can confirm this info.

It's hard making anything out of Google translate, but it doesn't seem to explain much on the gameplay, and barely mentions Fire Emblem. (I sorta skimmed through it, correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not sure myself. Over at NeoGAF they posted the link and claimed that it said it confirms the game is an RPG. I usually trust them with this stuff (since passing erroneous info at GAF is quite frowned upon).

Does it specifically say it won't have FE gameplay? Because FE can still be called an RPG too. I roughly translated it with Google Chrome, and it doesn't seem to rule strategic gameplay out.

Edit: Oops, I lingered without pressing the 'submit post' button too long.

Edited by Murdok Dracul

Google Chrom

You rang?

Either way, "RPG" is ambiguous (although I certainly wouldn't mind a jRPG). Part of me suspects that the gameplay will be like Devil Survivor, i.e. a hybrid of strategy RPGs and traditional RPGs. But we'll see. Thank God it's not a fighting game

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, FE is definitely an RPG. It's a strategy RPG to be precise. This really doesn't tell us anything except that it isn't a fighting game. xP

This isn't really true, unless you're using the rpg definition in the loosest of sense. FE games are just a string of maps, you don't really make any decisions to advance the game.

You wouldn't call Starcraft a real-time strategy rpg, if you want another example.

What? But I've been calling WoL and HotS a real time strategy RPG this whole time! Even since Brood War! *shot*

Also most people consider it a tactics game or tactics RPG which is just another term for strategy RPG AFAIK - see here, it mentions FE specifically - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role-playing_game

It's also known as turn-based strategy (as opposed to a real-time strategy game)

Wikipedia isn't very strict and sort of inconsistent with their definition for an rpg (after all, the only real requirement is to simply assume the role of a character(s) through a narrative), they cite X-com as an rpg for example, but Advance Wars as not. FE's probably most accurately described as a turn-based strategy game with rpg elements, rather than a strategy rpg (Deus Ex is technically an fps, but it's considered an arpg, not a role-playing fps). I guess the point I"m trying to get at is that if you had to choose one most accurate description for FE, it'd be turn-based strategy, not rpg, which Anacybele's post suggested otherwise.

But in context of the original claim that this announcement isn't very telling, it is, because that means the game will seemingly be more based on Persona's style of gameplay (though how they'll implement FE characters in this will be interesting), evident by the screenshot, instead of FE's style of grid-based tactics.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Perhaps they could do a little of both? Maybe do SMT for random battles and do FE gameplay for bosses/special battles?

But then it'd be Suikoden.

This isn't really true, unless you're using the rpg definition in the loosest of sense. FE games are just a string of maps, you don't really make any decisions to advance the game.

Final Fantasy games have decisions?

But in context of the original claim that this announcement isn't very telling, it is, because that means the game will seemingly be more based on Persona's style of gameplay (though how they'll implement FE characters in this will be interesting), evident by the screenshot, instead of FE's style of grid-based tactics.

Those screenshots are from Shin Megami Tensei 4, not SMT x Fire Emblem. That same page also describes the Fire Emblem series as a series of "Simulation RPG", so, "RPG" by itself really doesn't say much.

Those screenshots are from Shin Megami Tensei 4, not SMT x Fire Emblem. That same page also describes the Fire Emblem series as a series of "Simulation RPG", so, "RPG" by itself really doesn't say much.

That's Japanese for "Tactical RPG, baka gaijin".

Edited by Refa

• 4 months later...

If RPG is anything to go by, considering the gameplay styles of FE and SMT/Persona, I'm expecting major shipping, tactics, and an excruciating, but highly invited challenge. I could die a happy Fuji, if this crossover gives the players access to some simulation/lifestyle qualities for FE characters!

• 1 month later...

If RPG is anything to go by, considering the gameplay styles of FE and SMT/Persona, I'm expecting major shipping, tactics, and an excruciating, but highly invited challenge. I could die a happy Fuji, if this crossover gives the players access to some simulation/lifestyle qualities for FE characters!

If you're drawing the shipping element from FE I'll just

I'll just

NOOBS WHO BASE THEIR GENERAL OPINION OF FE ON AWAKENING. UGH.

srry

just being myself for a sec there

now I'm back to being my not-prone to outbursts self.