Screenshot vs. Video LP's?

FionordeQuester

I ask because, according to the goons on Something Awful, video LP's are generally horrible ideas for anything that's not an action game, and while I greatly enjoy some of their work...they still represent only a small fraction of the total population on the internet. So, I thought I'd get the opinions of people from other forums, as I'm wondering which direction to take my LP's now.

So, here's the deal. I have always generally preferred video LP's for the fact that I get to actually hear the sound and see a game in motion, plus the entertaining commentary that comes from a good LPer like HCBailly...however, as others have often said, I'm kind of a weird cookie, and I have opinions that differ radically from the general population. So, that's why I wish to get the opinions of other people.

Screenshot LP's are generally shorter, and there's no worry about what kind of voice you have, or timing your commentary correctly, or anything like that...but it lacks some of the essence of video. So, with this in mind, what LP's do you guys generally like?

It really depends on your preference.

Screenshot LPs have more freedom of presentation. Such as someone's screenshot LP of Avalon Code on the Something Awful forums. It was an amazing way to present the game.

As for video LPs, recording them, at least with more than one person, has more dynamic "hilarity" moments.

Either way, what I look for is something unique that the LP offers if I'm gonna watch an LP. Game Grumps kept making me constantly laughing for Sonic '06, so that's the reason I keep watching them.

I prefer screenshots over videos unless the person making the videos can manage to make the entire experience interesting, which isn't always easy. I know I wouldn't be able to make a proper video LP, but I've successfully completed two screenshot LPs, so I prefer making screenshot LPs as well as reading them.

The thing that I hate about screenshot LP's is that they rarely seem to get finished by the person who started them (Yes, Horace, Shin and Paperblade, I'm referring to you!).

As for video LP's, I've only seen one or two that end up unfinished and you get to hear the game's music, which is a bonus). So, I'm going to have to side with video LP's being the better of the two

<div>^</div><div>Such Arrogance.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

I think it's more of a thing about slow updates.

And FYI Shin finished his fe8 thing.

Anyways if done right it's all cool.

Edited by Inspector Clouseau

Shin misplaces his saves alot, same with horace.

They also have this thing called a life.

Also it's not a big deal, it's just a hobby they do.

And besides both of them have contributed greatly in their niches.

Edited by Inspector Clouseau

I think that it really depends on the genre of the game, how entertaining the LPer is (or at least how well he can keep your attention), and pretty much preference. I've seen both that have really done well regardless of what is being played.

To me, the major reason behind an LP is to showcase a game that many people may never get to play themselves. Anything past that is just a bonus.

The thing that I hate about screenshot LP's is that they rarely seem to get finished by the person who started them (Yes, Horace, Shin and Paperblade, I'm referring to you!).

As for video LP's, I've only seen one or two that end up unfinished and you get to hear the game's music, which is a bonus). So, I'm going to have to side with video LP's being the better of the two

Silly NM, it's in the works... I'm just lazy and busy or something.

I enjoy Screenshot LP's, mostly because they don't take as long to go through. Plus, it allows you to do group nuzlockes, which can be very fun.

WELL. As a video LPer I am slightly biased, but I will not deny the quality that a screenshot LP can bring to a game. I've read a few very entertaining ones, and I would have to agree that it depends on the game. But I don't think that there are games that you can't make video LPs on. It really depends on the LPer to make the experience enjoyable.

Depends on the person doing it, so there's no good reason or excuse why so many video LPs are unwatchable. Screenshot LPs tend to be more compact and humorous, but there's no reason why a video LP wouldn't be informative/entertaining if the author is capable of making it so.

The thing that I hate about screenshot LP's is that they rarely seem to get finished by the person who started them

does my Icewind Dale one that I actively and consciously ragequit count?

I have an easier time finishing (as in spectating) screenshot LPs, but I tend to laugh more at indescribably funny-stupid things that happen in video LPs. Although sometimes it's nice when a screenshot LP stops and dwells on something really, really out there, where a video LP would be forced to chug on. (see SA Drakengard)

Maybe you could record, make screenshots of your recording and see which presentation you like better?

Edited by Rehab

Depends on the game completely. With some games you can split out the boring parts via screenshot without feeling like things are missing, but on other games you can't really convey the experience that way.

For me i think i prefer video LPs! I love hearing the game's music, and it feels more natural to me to hear the commentary as talking. It feels more like i'm playing the game myself, you know? And when the events are kind of in a lull and don't have my full attention i can go do other things, which is nice.

For most games anyway. When it comes to fire emblem, i definitely prefer text LPs! I find FE fun to play, but not so much to watch others play, so screenshots are a quicker way of doing do. Unless you're Rondie, in which you do the whole thing with your sweet-ass Scottish accent.

For me i think i prefer video LPs! I love hearing the game's music, and it feels more natural to me to hear the commentary as talking. It feels more like i'm playing the game myself, you know? And when the events are kind of in a lull and don't have my full attention i can go do other things, which is nice.

For most games anyway. When it comes to fire emblem, i definitely prefer text LPs! I find FE fun to play, but not so much to watch others play, so screenshots are a quicker way of doing do. Unless you're Rondie, in which you do the whole thing with your sweet-ass Scottish accent.

What about RPG's like The 7th Saga, or Dragon Quest?