Jugdral Romanization Overhaul

Trivialgent

60 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about thr new names?

• WAY better and more accurate
    • Meh, I'm indifferent.
    • WTF Intelligent Systems?!
    • I've never played FE4 or FE5.

So basically, Awakaning's out, and NOA has done a complete overhaul on the translations of thr names, turning them into being rxactly the same as the things they were named after, even thiugh the Treasure gave them their own individual names earlier. How do you feel about it?

They've done a pretty great job so far (particularly pleased with Silesse and Seliph), but I think I'll withhold full judgement until we hear about what they called the remaining 25 playable Jugdral characters. I'm not exactly expecting anything earthshatteringly bad like Ardan suddenly becoming "Bob", but it seems only fair.

why can't I shake the feeling that Levin is going to be called "Levine"

And why do you all just mindlessly follow the NoA translations?

Because Katakana is ambiguous. And it's official. No matter how much of a storm you try to stir up, no one will care.

It's just a bunch of text on screen.

Really? How is Seliph better than Celice?

It was sarcasm. I still prefer Celice to Seliph, just because it looks better, but both are viable.

Because they are the confirmed names, people are entitled to use whatever names they want to as long as others know who they are referring to.

I have played FE4 so much that I often call skills in FE9/10 by the fan translation names. I'm sure the same will be the same with these new releases of names. Even if they're wrong it's the fact I'm so use to them that I'll say them out of habbit.

I have played FE4 so much that I often call skills in FE9/10 by the fan translation names. I'm sure the same will be the same with these new releases of names. Even if they're wrong it's the fact I'm so use to them that I'll say them out of habbit.

This just about sums up my opinion.

Why do you even make a thread on this subject then

I like the official translations, I don't care if you like the fan translations or want to use them as long as you bear in mind that they aren't the official ones and NoA doesn't submit to fan whims to make fan translations official

why does every time name change comes up someone always make a big fucking deal about it

Stop bitching about them, keep using the old names or don't, whatever, don't need to insult the rest of us that finds the localisations more aptly done

Edited by Thor Odinson

More or less indifferent about it. It's not like someone's going to be making a new patch for FE1-5 just to change the names for the localized ones.

I still even refer to some characters/items/whatever by their old name out of habit, especially in the old fan translated games, though some of those are also because I'm not a fan of the official translation, like Jeorge, but those are rather rare.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

It's not like someone's going to be making a new patch for FE1-5 just to change the names for the localized ones.

I don't know about that. Remember the second fan translation that changed names into stupid shit like Serlis because it was obscurely mentioned in an obscure Fe7 article?

Edited by Constable Reggie

I don't know about that. Remember the second fan translation that changed names into stupid shit like Serlis because it was obscurely mentioned in an obscure Fe7 article?

To be honest I don't think I've heard of it. I haven't played Vanilla FE4 in a long time and the patch I have is fine except for the tail end of the Epilogue I suppose.

Someone basically updated a good percentage of word usage in Geneology to match the English wording (hero -> brave, etc), but some laughable name changes were added too, including *snicker snicker* Scathach for Skasaher. If someone was willing to update Fe4 based on flimsy reasoning, I'm sure people out there will update all the games with the official Nintendo words.

some laughable name changes were added too, including *snicker snicker* Scathach for Skasaher.

so what you're saying is that an Engrishy name is better than the actual name of which, in all likelihood, the Engrish is a corruption?

okay

say what you will about "Serlis", but "Scathach" was a massive improvement

Really? How is Seliph better than Celice?

Celice is a girl's name. It's also one letter from the also-major character Celica. This might not seem like a large deal to someone who knows the series, but when I was still getting acquainted with it I honestly did not know that Celice and Celica were separate characters for some time, so the potential for confusion is definitely there.

We could also go with "it's not Serlis and therefore is automatically at least a 9/10".

I've said it before, I'll probably use the fan translation names out of habit. It will probably take take a while before any of the new official names sink in. I'm not fussed either way, I'm still hoping Roddlebad will appear.