The Lunatic Club

Shinori

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cord can't train in Cht.7, start getting her going in Cht.8 instead. There's a mountain in the top left with a DM and a Barb lurking nearby, that's a good place to start her- fight defensively, stay out of range, melee stuff to death whenever safe.

I'm still in shock at what Lissa has been able to pull off. As a Sage in Chapter 5, she managed to Rescue Maribelle and Ricken over from her starting spot, then Fort dodgetank/slaughter the wyverns with wind. The other units fell to Sumia, who is rapidly approaching level 18 by the end of Chapter 7 after another paralogue. The only thing I can't figure out is if I should wait for the reinforcements in Chapter 7 for the extra 30-40 exp, or just try doing it without Maribelle, who always finds herself sandwiched between the boss' faction and the reinforcements no matter what I seem to do. I really wish there was a way to archer abuse like I did with Lissa.

Questions/objectives:

A. Robin nears Level 20 a lot later than I would have liked. He just doesn't seem to be doing enough damage, although he at least tanks a couple things with 11 defense and a Frederick support. He is +Magic, -Defense--do I Second Seal to Dark Mage or Merc, or do I Master Seal him to Grandmaster?

B. Lissa is a sage and thanks to more liberal healing exp, I have a feeling she will be getting closer to level 10 a lot faster than any other promoted class, even though I mostly use her for tanking and healing atm (she has like 15 defense) and has been very satisfied with a Stahl support. Do I reclass to Valkyrie or Dark Flier? Do I reclass at level 10, level 15 after tomefaire, or Level 20 if possible?

C. With Maribelle, I haven't found as many opportunities to raise up her experience. Whenever any of my units get injured, they're usually surrounded. I know Chapters 8, 9, 10, and 11 all have defeat the Commander opportunities for me to drastically raise her up. If/when I get her to 20, do I switch her to Cleric or Mage, or do I promote her to Valkyrie and also start attacking?

D. I understand that you cautioned me against using Lon'qu as her pair up partner, but he gained a level here or there (was doing better than Chrom and Frederick at dealing with the axe wielders in Donnel's paralogue) and has had shockingly good results with dodging, critting, and getting dual strikes. When he and/or Chrom hit level 10, should I either master seal or second seal them when possible? Does Chrom want to be a Great Lord, a Cavalier > Great Knight, or an Archer > Bow Knight? What about Lon'qu? Should I turn him into an Assassin, a Swordmaster, or a Wyvern Rider?

E. Off the top of your head, are there any level thresholds I need to meet for Sumia and Cordelia? Sumia will definitely just be gracing Level 18 Pegasus Knight as we enter Chapter 8. Should I promote her now or wait until 20? What about Cordelia? What's the best way to divide up the remaining experience between these two?

F. Anything left to do with my Level 2.98/3 Frederick?

Hey ive been gone a while because school caught up with me but to answer your questions,

A: I would second seal to dark mage because you dont get another seal for a few chapters and on Lunatic + no grouth of any kind for that long will kill you.

B: I would wait for tomefire because in lategame a +5 magic is the difference between getting killed by a unit with 1 HP left. (I hate that so much) Valkere is better if you want to tank because the resistance and DF is best for offence and galeforce is nice. With a Stahl support Valkerie looks like a good choice, Plus you keep your good healing unit. Which is essenchal.

C: I would also go Valkerie with Marable and reclass her again to sage. Going back to a stater class will delay her from being powerful enough with magic.

D: For Chrom I would actually go Padalain. You keep Your high attack and Falchion but you dont get the resestence drop of a GK. For Lonqu I would go Assassan because of the high Skill stat. If your major advantage is Skill than An assassan will Crit of Lethality a good 60% of the time. (one of the two will come up)

F: I assume you have luna by now but for the most part.... nope.

Also congrats Radince.

Edited by ultmatelifeform

I'm still in shock at what Lissa has been able to pull off. As a Sage in Chapter 5, she managed to Rescue Maribelle and Ricken over from her starting spot, then Fort dodgetank/slaughter the wyverns with wind. The other units fell to Sumia, who is rapidly approaching level 18 by the end of Chapter 7 after another paralogue. The only thing I can't figure out is if I should wait for the reinforcements in Chapter 7 for the extra 30-40 exp, or just try doing it without Maribelle, who always finds herself sandwiched between the boss' faction and the reinforcements no matter what I seem to do. I really wish there was a way to archer abuse like I did with Lissa.

Questions/objectives:

A. Robin nears Level 20 a lot later than I would have liked. He just doesn't seem to be doing enough damage, although he at least tanks a couple things with 11 defense and a Frederick support. He is +Magic, -Defense--do I Second Seal to Dark Mage or Merc, or do I Master Seal him to Grandmaster?

B. Lissa is a sage and thanks to more liberal healing exp, I have a feeling she will be getting closer to level 10 a lot faster than any other promoted class, even though I mostly use her for tanking and healing atm (she has like 15 defense) and has been very satisfied with a Stahl support. Do I reclass to Valkyrie or Dark Flier? Do I reclass at level 10, level 15 after tomefaire, or Level 20 if possible?

C. With Maribelle, I haven't found as many opportunities to raise up her experience. Whenever any of my units get injured, they're usually surrounded. I know Chapters 8, 9, 10, and 11 all have defeat the Commander opportunities for me to drastically raise her up. If/when I get her to 20, do I switch her to Cleric or Mage, or do I promote her to Valkyrie and also start attacking?

D. I understand that you cautioned me against using Lon'qu as her pair up partner, but he gained a level here or there (was doing better than Chrom and Frederick at dealing with the axe wielders in Donnel's paralogue) and has had shockingly good results with dodging, critting, and getting dual strikes. When he and/or Chrom hit level 10, should I either master seal or second seal them when possible? Does Chrom want to be a Great Lord, a Cavalier > Great Knight, or an Archer > Bow Knight? What about Lon'qu? Should I turn him into an Assassin, a Swordmaster, or a Wyvern Rider?

E. Off the top of your head, are there any level thresholds I need to meet for Sumia and Cordelia? Sumia will definitely just be gracing Level 18 Pegasus Knight as we enter Chapter 8. Should I promote her now or wait until 20? What about Cordelia? What's the best way to divide up the remaining experience between these two?

F. Anything left to do with my Level 2.98/3 Frederick?

If you think Lissa is insane like this, watch how strong she gets with Streetpass shops, max Renown and a lot of patience. Or don't, she's good enough already.

A. Remind me, are you pairing him with Cord, or waiting for Lucina? Either way, sticking him with Cord as a Merc right now (and just not getting the S if you don't want it) might be best until she gets going. He should be getting the Cht.8 SS if you already used your Renown one. Don't worry too much about his level, he should still be decently strong and can catch up just like all the children once exp is more plentiful (mine was 20->10 Merc with +Spd/-Skl when I benched him to support at Cht.8, but I pulled him out for Cynthia's Paralogue and he caught up almost instantly, while still doing the bulk of the heavy lifting at the start).

B. Don't go for GF, especially in time for Owain. It's really strong, but just not worth it. Valk or Falco are good bets, it depends on whether you'd rather have Rally Spd or Res earlier- I'd go Valk so you can keep your Tome offense around a little while longer.

C. In Par.2, there's an island in the river nobody except the swimming boss can walk to. Bring Mari, Chrom and two Pegs (and maybe one more pair if you feel like using a Rescue) and turtle there, breaking the Archers' Bows for damage to heal and kiting Barbs around for lone hits with Pegs, then flying back for healing after the Archers are harmless. It's extremely lucrative and since Lissa sounds like she's in a good place already, Maribelle can have all of it.

D. If you want to keep Lon'qu around, Wyvern makes a good ferry, while Assassin preserves his weapon ranks and gives nice offensive pairup boosts. Thief should only be used for a Locktouch passdown, so you can keep a strong child as your Theif.

E. Aside from GF by the child recruitments, not really. Promote Sumia at 20, she's in good shape. Try to focus a little more on Cord than Sumia for now if you want both passing GF though, while it's OK and smart for Cord to get it a little later (she doesn't have any auto-recruits like Lucina and can get it during the child Paralogues), GF is also really powerful and Sumia will suddenly start hogging exp like crazy once you get it if you don't carefully keep her in check.

F. Stick him behind someone who could use a +Def/Mov support. I like putting him with Lissa, because Owain's options are good and he really helps her tanking potential.

If you think Lissa is insane like this, watch how strong she gets with Streetpass shops, max Renown and a lot of patience. Or don't, she's good enough already.

A. Remind me, are you pairing him with Cord, or waiting for Lucina? Either way, sticking him with Cord as a Merc right now (and just not getting the S if you don't want it) might be best until she gets going. He should be getting the Cht.8 SS if you already used your Renown one. Don't worry too much about his level, he should still be decently strong and can catch up just like all the children once exp is more plentiful (mine was 20->10 Merc with +Spd/-Skl when I benched him to support at Cht.8, but I pulled him out for Cynthia's Paralogue and he caught up almost instantly, while still doing the bulk of the heavy lifting at the start).

B. Don't go for GF, especially in time for Owain. It's really strong, but just not worth it. Valk or Falco are good bets, it depends on whether you'd rather have Rally Spd or Res earlier- I'd go Valk so you can keep your Tome offense around a little while longer.

C. In Par.2, there's an island in the river nobody except the swimming boss can walk to. Bring Mari, Chrom and two Pegs (and maybe one more pair if you feel like using a Rescue) and turtle there, breaking the Archers' Bows for damage to heal and kiting Barbs around for lone hits with Pegs, then flying back for healing after the Archers are harmless. It's extremely lucrative and since Lissa sounds like she's in a good place already, Maribelle can have all of it.

D. If you want to keep Lon'qu around, Wyvern makes a good ferry, while Assassin preserves his weapon ranks and gives nice offensive pairup boosts. Thief should only be used for a Locktouch passdown, so you can keep a strong child as your Theif.

E. Aside from GF by the child recruitments, not really. Promote Sumia at 20, she's in good shape. Try to focus a little more on Cord than Sumia for now if you want both passing GF though, while it's OK and smart for Cord to get it a little later (she doesn't have any auto-recruits like Lucina and can get it during the child Paralogues), GF is also really powerful and Sumia will suddenly start hogging exp like crazy once you get it if you don't carefully keep her in check.

F. Stick him behind someone who could use a +Def/Mov support. I like putting him with Lissa, because Owain's options are good and he really helps her tanking potential.

Just finished Chapters 8, 9, and the remaining prologues after that. Chapter 8 was pretty easy except for trying to keep Nowi and Gregor alive. I had to sacrifice experience that I would've liked to go to Cordelia to Sumia instead. Part of me wishes I hadn't used my 2000ish renown for the Second Seal and other goodies and that I had foregone the Master Seals and Second Seals that popped up around the map, but I'm having a devilish good time right now.

A. I'm marrying him to Aversa, but will likely pair him with Lucina! Cordelia's getting Lon'qu, who is very close to promoting because of all his fancy dual strikes and stuff. Recalled him to Dark Mage because of his garbage resistance-- wanted to try giving Vengeance a whirl--especially since this is Lunatic and not Lunatic+.

B. I'll definitely go Valk with Lissa and Sage with Maribelle when I get the chance. Sad that they have such pretty sprites for war cleric, but that their strength/presence of bolt axes will never be good enough to make the class good for them ingame. I'm worried that Owain's stats will be completely middling as Lissa has a B-support with a level 3 Stahl and a C-support with my much-neglected Frederick.

C. Wished I had abused the island more. Didn't realize it would work for both of them. On the bright side, I was able to break the boss' weapon and save a single villager with similarly good results. I simply ADORE boss grinding. Heal-grinding until their weapons are broken, then chipping away with my weaker units until they've gained a level, then getting the kill with either Sumia or Cordelia to keep them up!

D. Lon'qu is like one dual strike away from hitting level 10 and has been doing very well. He and Cordelia have a B support and are going steady. As long as I keep her out of range of archers, she is doubling and killing almost as much as Sumia. As soon as I get another master seal, I'm probably using it on Lon'qu for Assassin. Which skill would be best for him to pass down to Severa? Vantage? Lethality maybe if I'm feeling bold? Probably going to use Anna for Staff duty and Locktouch--especially if I decide to switch Lissa or Maribelle to say a Dark Flier or Dark Knight.

Characters for Reference

Chrom is a Level 4 Cavalier based on the above poster's advice. I'm absolutely loving him in this class. With Sumia's skill and speed supports and the extra defense and resistance, he seems so much bulkier than ever before. He could've just about soloed Prologue 3 as soon as I reclassed him, but I opted to get a little more experience on Cordelia.

Sumia is a Level 6 Dark Flier and is ready to slaughter Gangrel next chapter with no worries or regrets. I've gotten very audacious and noticed most archers can't even seem to hit her anymore. I think she's in a good spot.

Lissa is almost at Level 12 in her Sage class (special thanks to the Physic Staff that Sumia was able to nab in the paralogue). She's reliably doubling and killing enemies and can take attacks very nicely--lately, she's almost exclusively been my healer for Maribelle. I didn't think those extra mends and heals would pump her up so quickly, but they have. Donald's prologue really busted her haha.

Maribelle is a Level 7 Valkyrie. Unfortunately, she never gained as many defense points as Lissa (10 to Lissa's 16), but her C-rank Level 3 Ricken support might also be to blame. She struggles to kill stuff, so I'm most likely going to keep her exclusively on Staff duty with a single magic tome for those little emergency situations (Wind tomes have been a favorite, especially in Chapter 8). If I choose to Dance Grind Olivia next chapter (I think I will. I like having a refresher unit that doesn't die every time I miscalculate terrain and movement), she'll most likely benefit the most by healing Olivia every time she proc HP in her 29 levels.

Cordelia is Level 17. I'm considering just promoting her now and splitting any and all experience between her and Sumia between now and Chapter 13. She's already stronger than she was in my previous play through. I've gotten quite lucky with her strength, speed, and defenses. Hopefully I can get Galeforce on her before I've burned through all of Valm.

Robin is a Level 3 Dark mage, and I fear he's falling behind, though I don't want to give him any experience that could go to Sumia, Cordelia, or even Chrom at this point.

Lately, I've only ever been using Robin with Lissa, Cordelia with Lon'qu, Chrom with Sumia, and Maribelle with Ricken. I suppose when I get Olivia, I'll give Frederick to her as a support + extra movement. Lucina can take Sumia, Chrom, or Robin for support when I get her, and maybe Cynthia if I can get through that paralogue. When Severa comes along, I may ditch Lon'qu and pair her with Cordelia for double gale force shenanigans.

Right now I'm moving through Chapter 9, which Chrom and Sumia can solo (I tested and tried it). I'm trying to challenge myself to get Cordelia to Level 20/Level 2 Dark Flier, and have started feeding her the stat-boosting rewards I win, though I don't know if she'll catch up.

Robin is not falling behind. He'll catch up, you'll see.

You're not doing L+? Huh, I thought you were. That explains how Sumia got stuffed so full. Oh well, that just puts more options on the table. I'd go for Avo+10 from Lon'qu, because without Hawkeye around dodgetanking in Lunatic is completely OP, even moreso than in Normal/Hard (enemies have big, fancy weapons with low Hit, and not enough Skl to back it up).

You'll easily have enough exp to take both Pegs to 20/15 if you give them everything from now on.

Robin is not falling behind. He'll catch up, you'll see.

You're not doing L+? Huh, I thought you were. That explains how Sumia got stuffed so full. Oh well, that just puts more options on the table. I'd go for Avo+10 from Lon'qu, because without Hawkeye around dodgetanking in Lunatic is completely OP, even moreso than in Normal/Hard (enemies have big, fancy weapons with low Hit, and not enough Skl to back it up).

You'll easily have enough exp to take both Pegs to 20/15 if you give them everything from now on.

I had a +Magic, -Defense Lunatic+ file for my main Apo run-through when I didn't understand how to beat hard without the grinding DLC. Will try it with a different asset and flaw eventually.... just really hate Counter. Lon'qu and Sumia would NEVER be doing this well otherwise haha (though boss grinding her with Raimi in Chapter 3 was actually kind of fun, I can play against Pavis and Aegis--even Pass to an extent, but Counter combined with the rest drives me insane! About to start Chapter 11.

Recruited Anna and finished her paralogue. Used her Heal staff to get her to Level 5 with two of the archers. Chrom is level 7. Will promote him to Paladin soon. Lissa is level 14 and Maribelle is gaining on her at 11. Sumia is level 9 and a half. Cordelia got to Level 4 as a dark Flier during Chapter 9. Ricken gained a level FINALLY. Lon'qu has an A Support with Cordelia and got to 11. Chrom is ready to marry Sumia, but I might just let myself watch the auto-marriage cutscene unless Sumia's really doing badly. I don't see my deployment going past 10 or 12 anytime soon. Might pair Lucina with Tiki, Severa with Robin for main game, and try to feed Flavia and Basilio when I recruit them.

Chrom took that long to be ready for S? You can have him there as soon as post-Cht.6 if you don't save Par.2 for Cord (and even without Par.2 (or before Cht.6) with insanely good RNG).

I think he's been ready for much longer haha. I just want to see the 3D dialogue after Chapter 9.

On Chapter 14 now. Got Galeforce on Cordelia and Sumia/Lucina. Was a little worried about Severa's paralogue, though I've now had the opportunity to class and reclass almost all my units. Lisa, Maribelle, Cordelia, Sumia, and Olivia have all been maxed in a promoted class and second sealed.

UPDATE: Got Severa and was able to train her to level 15 in her paralogue. It's a shame her magic growths are so abysmal, or I would try to get vengeance on her ASAP.

Do I promote her to Bow Knight or Second Seal her to Wyvern Rider?

Also nabbed Cynthia. Great Knight Sumia koed the most troublesome part of the map with a short spear. I can see what you mean about her becoming an EXP hog, but it was worth it for that Large bullion imo. She has Luna now.

What do I do with Cynthia? Second seal her to Archer? Or Cavalier?

Edited by Lucina's Husband

Cavs are always a solid option when available. Severa might need to promote, base class reclasses can sometimes be tricky if you lack Cav, Merc or Tactician to go into. Hero and BK are both solid, Hero is a little better on vanilla and they're about the same on +.

Cavs are always a solid option when available. Severa might need to promote, base class reclasses can sometimes be tricky if you lack Cav, Merc or Tactician to go into. Hero and BK are both solid, Hero is a little better on vanilla and they're about the same on +.

And after they've maxed out? Lucina's going to Great Knight, then to--? Cynthia should go from Great Knight to Falcon Knight or Sniper or? Severa should go from Bow Knight to Wyvern Lord?

Bow Knight Lucina is very good, 10/10 would recommend, has falchion access and anti-counter measures

If you're on vanilla L instead of L+, Paladin is also solid

Edited by Thor Odinson

Cav can go either to GK or Paladin well (Paladin recommended if you don't have access to a +Spd/Skl support, though). BK to Wyvern is a little iffy because you keep neither of your weapon ranks. GK to Falco should work, but be careful not to load up on Bow weaknesses.

Cav can go either to GK or Paladin well (Paladin recommended if you don't have access to a +Spd/Skl support, though). BK to Wyvern is a little iffy because you keep neither of your weapon ranks. GK to Falco should work, but be careful not to load up on Bow weaknesses.

I'll send Lucina to Paladin and Severa to Hero (before Wyvern Lord) then :)

Also, would it ever be possible to get Galeforce on Robin! Owain by second sealing Lissa to Pegasus Knight after she's been maxed out as a cleric in a no-DLC environment?

Edited by Lucina's Husband

Definitely not on Lunatic+. On vanilla Lunatic, maybe, but you probably would miss GF on both Pegs as a result. Lissa is really weak as a base Peg as well- she doesn't start with Javelins, making her very hard to get off the ground. I'd probably use +Def and break some weapons if I really had to do it.

Yay, I finally got up to the Endgame on my no-grind/ Lunatic file! I wanted to be a bit more equal with the experience towards the end, but gave up because Lucina, Severa, Cynthia, Sumia, and Cordelia were just too good at what they did. Lissa and Maribelle enjoyed being offensive powerhouses up until Valm, where they were eventually relegated to permanent staff duty.

I think I botched Lissa at one point because I reclassed her from Level 20 Sage to Dark Flier, then watched miserably as her magic and defenses were too low to do anything. I got her to level 4, but she was useless because she couldn't even access staves anymore. I was forced tor reclass her to troubadaur, then go back to Valkyrie, but Fortify, Physic, and Rescue made sure she returned back pretty quickly. Lissa, Maribelle, and Anna all ended up being incredibly useful for healing and rescue abuse. Having three made it hard to turtle on a lot of levels (on Chapter 25, I just flat out let them abuse rescue so Severa could oneshot Aversa).

As a sorcerer, Robin never caught up quickly enough. I got him to Level 4 as a sorcerer, and he was still gaining experience super quickly. I blame my attempts to use him as pair up fodder for Say'ri, Anna, and Lissa--all of whom have S-supports waiting with him.

I cleared Aversa's paralogue by deploying all the units I hadn't even touched. Since the whole point of this playthrough was to have my Robin marry her, I now have the remaining paralogues left to feed her kills, support points, and experience before I go after Grima (hopefully with both her and Morgan in tow). She starts off as a Level 20 Dark Flier with fairly high stats. Do I second seal her to Sorcerer to pick up Vengeance or immediately send her back to Dark Flier?

Yep, non-staff Lissa isn't very good. Now imagine doing that as a Lv.1 Pegasus Knight, during earlygame when everything is Axes and pain. I'm doing a similar thing with Olivia on my current Lunatic+ run, she's going to make it to 15 before the end through pure setups and feeds but it's not something I'd recommend doing in any circumstances; my other units are hurting for missing the exp and having the late Inigo.

Robin does need to come up front to get some exp, yes. He is pretty good as a drop-in support if his wife is busy (or nonexistant), but you want to give him a map or two of training first.

Aversa gets some pretty nice skills, it's worth your while to pick them all up since you'll be doing postgame.

Yep, non-staff Lissa isn't very good. Now imagine doing that as a Lv.1 Pegasus Knight, during earlygame when everything is Axes and pain. I'm doing a similar thing with Olivia on my current Lunatic+ run, she's going to make it to 15 before the end through pure setups and feeds but it's not something I'd recommend doing in any circumstances; my other units are hurting for missing the exp and having the late Inigo.

Robin does need to come up front to get some exp, yes. He is pretty good as a drop-in support if his wife is busy (or nonexistant), but you want to give him a map or two of training first.

Aversa gets some pretty nice skills, it's worth your while to pick them all up since you'll be doing postgame.

Olivia as a Dark Flier? Before Chapter 13 or just before Inigo?

Before endgame. There's no way I'm making this Inigo useful, I'm just doing it because I don't want to back out now after so much investment (aka because I'm stubborn and will never do it again, so I want to see what happens. And because I can).

It honestly doesn't matter that much. Maribelle is pretty poor combat unit, most of her support is going to be built (slowly) from healing units, and that can be anyone who's taking damage. You might try Libra or Gregor.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll join "the club" not that there is a list or it gets you anyway or anything. Started the game initially on Lunatic and beat it before launch week was up, then beat Lunatic+ after. Beat Apoth and the other DLC with my initial file before deleting it for my current "main" file (Skills, children and classes I want) which is just a Lunatic Casual so I can be lazy when training my units.

Edited by Dwlr

Just wanted to post that as of this afternoon I have completed my nogrind Lunatic + file. Thanks to all of the members for giving me advice on unit builds! I will be able to post my final units in a few days if anyone wants. Thanks again, everyone!