(FE8) Stat penalties display incorrectly

Vennobennu

It seems that if an item reduces a unit's stats, the unit's stats page will show a bonus of (10 - stat penalty) on the stat screen. For example, if an Iron Sword gives -4 Defence, the game will display +6 defence on the stats page. The game otherwise takes the penalty into account properly. Is there any reasonable way to fix this, or is Fe8 just not set up to display negative stat boosts?

Another thing I've noticed its that the game sometime uses extremely similar generic characters on a map. For instance, Chapter 14A generics are all the 0x80 Grado soldier - except for one of the Knights who appear near the throne on turn 1 EP. He's an 0x84 Grado Solider. Characters 80 and 84 are, according to Nightmare, identical in every respect except their support viewer class; and the 0x84 Knight is identical to the other Knights and in the chapter (except that he's got the drop item flag). There are several other instances of this happening in other chapters (the Soldiers that spawn with Amelia in Chapter 9A, for example). Why do these units not just use the 0x80 character?

They might have different event ID's for event purposes or there might be some subtle difference you're missing; honestly, for a specific question like that, it'd be hard to tell without some uh, specific research, i.e. my personal suggestion is you look into it yourself if you really want to know.

As for the stat boosts, idk really, except that I've never tried to make an item give negative stat boosts, and idk if the game is coded to be able to do that... (if it's not working, I'd assume it isn't, and thus would require an ASM hack to fix)

Negative stat boosts function exactly as they should; it's only the stat screen display which bugs out. I was trying to make a weapon that increased skill and speed at the expense of your defences, but that'll have to wait I guess.

And yeah, you were right: different generics may have separate ID's for movement purposes during events, like when Amelia and her Soldier friends walk into the map. Guess I just overlooked the events earlier. On the positive side, it means that I can reuse these character ID's in other maps fairly painlessly!

One last question that I haven't found an answer to: In FE8, are there any flags for a unit or character that make them give no experience?

I don't believe there's any such thing in the unit data, so I'd check the character data next. If it's not an unknown byte or under the abilities list or something, I'd guess there isn't any such thing, sadly, but since I don't really hack FE8, I can't be sure/help you all that much. :(