3DS original or XL?

sunshineYON

As much as I would like to play on the XL, I'm broke so I'll make due with the original for now. I'm wasn't a fan of the original DS XL because simply making the screen bigger without a resolution increase isn't my thing. But with a bigger 3D screen, I'd imagine it would looks spectacular despite having the same resolution.

The bigger screen = bigger sweet spot to see the 3D. Some of the buttons are also better designed, and matte is better than glossy finish for a handheld, as a purely aesthetic note. I wasn't a fan of the DS XL, I personally feel like the original 3DS was a waste of my money and the 3DS XL is ridiculously better. Longer battery life (significantly if 3D is off or if the system is suspended, minorly otherwise) can also be a factor for some people.

I have both systems and I'm basically keeping my original 3DS to give to someone when I find someone who wants to get into the system.

Edited by CinderSkye

So then, is the upgrade worth it, then?

That is to say, if I already have a normal 3DS (I do), would it be worth it to fork over another $200 to get the XL?

Or would buying five 3DS games be more worthy of that money?

EDIT: Does this thread even belong here???

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

How much it's worth it depends on how much you find the current 3DS to already be a hassle. I found the original one to be a major PITA such that I barely used it except when I really had a jonesing for one or two games, and often with the 3D off. If you're happy, stick with what you got.

I also ponder a lot about whether I should upgrade or not. Maybe somebody can help me out here.

With my regular 3DS I have the problem that unlike my DS Lite, the top screen gets scratched by the borders of the lower screen, which seems to be a common problem. So does anybody know if the XL still has this sort of problem?

XL does not have that problem. That's one of the two big decisions for which version to get, in my opinion. The other being comfort of holding. The regular 3DS doesn't fit well in my hands, but the XL does, so clearly the XL is the superior choice (for me). I'd suggest going to Gamestop/Best Buy/etc and holding a display model to see how it stacks up.

The XL has some extra... things that migitate the problem, seen here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13680560/3dsxl.png

The bottom screen will still touch/graze the top screen if you're putting it in a really tight place like skinny jeans or something from what I'm reading to double check, so you could just put a soft cloth or something between the screens if you're really paranoid.

@BrightBow

I had that problem. Then I used a screen protecter. Problem Solved.

(And screen protecters are cheap, so... yeah. It's the more viable solution.)

The only question for me is whether it's worth the money or not.

3DS:

Small

Stylus on top

Stylus expandable

Marks on upper screen

Fingerprint-friendly (Very fingerprint-friendly)

EDIT: No distinction between the home, start, and select buttons

3DS XL:

Large

Stylus on side

Stylus is one size

No marks on upper screen

No more stupid marks (or dust) to wipe off

EDIT: Buttons clearly separated from one another

And those are the only differences I can think of right now.

EDIT: I want to upgrade, but... wouldn't five games be better???

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

Moved to general.

I prefer the 3DS over the XL, personally. I just don't like the design of the XL as much (not a fan of matte and such). Yeah, the larger screens would be nice, but dishing out $200 for larger screens is a complete waste of money to me. :P

Edited by eCut

I think what I hate most about the original is the fact that the battery life is essentially a travesty, especially in standby mode.

Nah, the most I hate about my 3DS is the fact that I bought after the Ambassador program expired and like 1 week before the announcement of the XL Dx

Ouch. Sorry 'bout that...

Buuuuut, that happened to me, too, sooooo~ eh. I live with it.

Besides, the only games there I would have a mild interest in playing is FE8 and Yoshi's Island.

But why do that when you can get ROMs for every single one of those games? ROMs you can patch and play on the computer?

I don't see the upgrade as worthwhile unless you needed a new system altogether. If my 3DS suddenly stopped working and there was no way to repair it, then I might buy an XL for the larger screen. The biggest thing to consider, at least from how I see it. is your lifestyle. The original 3DS fits in small pockets, purses, etc more easily, so it might be a better choice for someone who enjoys their games on the go (like me). If you mostly play in your home however, you might want an XL for that larger screen. Of course even the XL isn't terribly huge in comparison to its smaller brother, like how the original brick-sized Gameboy was to the Gameboy Pocket that was released later.

The 3DS XL really is an amazing model, Cucco. It frequently feels like a mini laptop. Here's my two cents. My biggest concern was the resolution; there's so much real estate, but I figured the resolution would be fuzzier. I was really impressed when I tried it out in Target awhile back. I couldn't discern a difference in most games, and in the worst cases, it was minimal (i.e. slightly fuzzy lines). If you're like me and your eyes get easily strained, the huge screen is a blessing.

Also, look for it on sale! I got mine for $160 at Best Buy during a big weekend sale. One thing to note -- if you have small hands, holding the XL can suck. I've been on the market for a comfort grip forever; my hands cramp up after playing for an hour or so. =(

Edited by Paulina

I sprang for the XL and have no complaints at all. Some old DS games that weren't made with a bigger screen in mind look a little off, but I can actually see what I'm doing. Then again, my eyesight is terrible, so you may not need a large screen. Still the image quality is great and Awakening really looks good. I don't use the 3D very much though. It's neat now and then to make a cutscene really come alive, but I learned my lesson from the last 3D "portable" I owned. I got a Virtual Boy when it came out because my name is Sheik, and I'm I dumbass. When I have the 3D (lowest setting) on the DS for more than five minutes, I start to get the same headache I got on the VB that says "You're going to go blind when you turn forty and make your optometrist a very happy person until then."

I have a bad case of the top-screen scratch on the original model, so I have to get nintendo to fix it. It's pretty lousy. The xl seems better in general, though it can be a pain to use for a while, particularly if you've got games that are heavy on the touchscreen+shoulder button control scheme. (Kid icarus is tiring on a normal 3DS, and *very* tiring on an XL.

I wouldn't say it's worth sinking money for the XL if you've got a working, undamaged original. But between the two, the XL is certainly better.

My XL's pretty bulky, but it was worth buying over a regular 3DS or the bundle IMO. I did some research on both versions before actually buying(only got a 3ds of any kind so I could play FE13, otherwise I might have saved for a PSVita just for P4 the Golden lol). XL sold me on the longer battery life and screen size(and the battery life is very good I have to say). I was disappointed there were no XLs in black, but there were some in red so that worked out in the end and I'm happy with mine. It's a pretty nice handheld if you've got enormous pockets or just shove everything into vest/jacket pockets like I do. It may or may not be worth an upgrade from a 3DS, but I personally don't have that kind of money to go around buying larger version handhelds. I did the research so I'd be happy the first time around.