anyone else ... disappointed?

geozeldadude

the one thing that really sucks is the lack of anything other than rout/bosskill objectives

and although it would have been nice to give the DLC characters (not spotpass though, way too many) unique models, oh well

^canto was freaking terrible, it only gives mounted units more help that they don't even need

Edited by shadykid

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thin that really disappoints me with the game is that I feel the antagonists are rather weak. Other than that I adore the game, and am willing to make concessions for the "laziness" in certain areas due to the sheer amount of content that would have been necessary to full flesh out all the support options.

I'm torn on whether or not this is my favorite FE game. Gameplay wise it's the clear winner in my opinion. I'm not sure if this cast of characters is my favorite though. I think I still prefer both the FE7 and Tellius crews to these guys, though it isn't a bad cast by any means.

i don't know why i found this to be such a problem since i loved FE8, but i think one of the big differences is that in that game you couldn't get really good items like stat boosters and brave weapons from the map shops

the Secret Shops in Creature Campaign would like a word with you

Personally, I'm not disappointed. Sure, there are issues here and there, but that's nothing fanfic can fix. Then again, I didn't went into this game hoping for this from FE7 or that from FE9 and etc. I knew from when I got it the gaming experience would be different from the FEs I played, and I didn't compared to the other games. While the basic FE formula was there, the mash-up created from the former games created an adventure unlike any other I've played.

Besides, among my favorites, the only game that made me cry besides this one was Majora's Mask... and in Awakening, I was crying of happiness. No other games made me like that, ever.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but the things the game does well really make the things it doesn't do well stand out, supports in particular. I'm still playing it and still have a lot planned for it, but it's definitely not my favorite in the series. It has its own advantages, but 7 and 10 still beat it for me.

the one thing that really sucks is the lack of anything other than rout/bosskill objectives

and although it would have been nice to give the DLC characters (not spotpass though, way too many) unique models, oh well

^canto was freaking terrible, it only gives mounted units more help that they don't even need

Canto in the GBA games was fine since it removed the move after fighting effect and gave mounted units more utility for rescuing (excepting rescue staves another missing mechanic).

I suppose lazy was the wrong word to use regarding DLC characters. Doesn't make it any less disappointing, though. There isn't any excuse for model color schemes, at least I should think. Textures don't take as much space as 3D models IIRC.

Oh, and when I talked about Myrmidon!Sully's outfit, I don't mean actually give her a kimono. I wasn't sure how to describe the myrmidon's outfits, especially since Swordmaster's top part outfit greatly resembles a kimono. I guess "robe" or "outfit" would have been more appropriate.

The only things that disappoint me are

-the generic Father/Child, Morgan/non-MU-Parent, and My Unit/same-gendered-unit generic endings for paired My Unit endings. After how much effort went into each possible pairing, it's so disappointing that these are all so lazily done.

-the laziness of the paid DLC characters. :/ It's stupid how they're just a regular My Unit with a hair-style and color that best resembles the DLC character. If you're gonna charge money for these characters, at least give them unique models. I'm not interested in buying more DLC if they're all going to be boring and generic.

-the laziness of the character models. Reclassed and promoted units should keep their unique color schemes. Like, Myrmidon!Sully should wear a red/white kimono-thing, or mage!Nowi should wear pink and light green robes. It really can't be that much effort.

That's the only real disappointments for me. The rest of the game is solid.

This.

My Swordmasters looking all like Lon'qu is strange... i really wanted those color schemes.

DLC is fanservice. That's what you're paying for. The conversations, the CGs, and the extra maps to extend gameplay. Not the character models.

But since we don't get unique character models for anyone outside default characters in default class trees, what if there was DLC that, instead of being maps, were models/model packs? Just throwing that out there, but I know I'd get some.

I guess from their perspective the issue with that is that, unlike with DLC maps, few people would buy ALL the models.

I'm doing Lunatic Classic for my 1st playthrough.

The biggest disappointment I see is: if you don't grind XP and gold, it will become impossible at around chapter 5 or 6. In previous chapter, chances you are forced to use Frederick quite much and some of other characters are under-leveled. I think even if they are not under-leveled, the best level you could get them is 7 or 8? Still not enough to beat chapter 5.

(And this comes from a person with quite experience with the Fire emblem series, play most of the games, get all-A for Lunatic reverse in FE12, stuff like that...)

Even worse, you have to pay real money for the grind map - The Golden Gaffe. I tried playing some Spotpass - impossible beat. I tried Risen skirmish - impossible to beat. I tried other DLC maps - impossible to beat. I tried moving on with the story - stucked at chapter 5 (The Exalt and the King)

So it appears to me that you pay to win, which is the worst thing for games, especially strategy games like FE.

I have to admit that I've not played FE13 much. The game only came to my hands 3 days ago due to shipment delay. So a lot of things I may misunderstand, or even noob.

Someone please tells me: "you are noob, this is how it can be done..." or "you are wrong, dlc is not needed to move on"

Edited by Erikt

I'm doing Lunatic Classic for my 1st playthrough.

The biggest disappointment I see is: if you don't grind XP and gold, it will become impossible at around chapter 5 or 6.

There's your problem.

Enjoy the game first on a lower difficulty. Lunatic Mode is very well named. It's Lunatic/Masochism mode.

On Lunatic, the story chapters are designed to be hard. And I mean hard up the butt.

But they are not impossible like the skirmishes they throw at you with maxed stat promoted units. Your disappointment is your own fault.

Your "you have to pay to win" point is moot.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Play on a lower difficulty first. It's called Lunatic for a reason: it's entirely doable without bonuses, but you have to know what you're doing. Which is exactly what a high difficulty level is supposed to require.

Okay... maybe I was too confident to start with Lunatic classic. I always started at the maximum difficulty for any FE games before, and managed the highest score. This time is another story?....

Okay, if you say so, 3 quick questions

1. If I play Normal/Hard first, does it help me in some ways if I then play Lunatic?

2. Do you yourselves have to grind to play Lunatic?

3. Do you yourselves purchase the grind map - The Golden Gaffle to grind first?

Edited by Erikt

Othin stole what I was going to say... >_>...

but basically, yes, you have to start with a lower difficulty. If you start with the hardest mode possible on classic, what do you expect? I myself have only played FEA in the series (It's my first game), but I know from seeing other people that at least half of them have played earlier than F12. Just because you played F12 (before me), doesn't mean you're an expert (I mean, come on, my name says I'm an expert, but it's a joke, I'm not)

EDIT: Yes to all of those (But that's just my opinion)

Edited by USFEAEXPert

Othin stole what I was going to say... >_>...

but basically, yes, you have to start with a lower difficulty. If you start with the hardest mode possible on classic, what do you expect? I myself have only played FEA in the series (It's my first game), but I know from seeing other people that at least half of them have played earlier than F12. Just because you played F12 (before me), doesn't mean you're an expert (I mean, come on, my name says I'm an expert, but it's a joke, I'm not)

idk man, people like Olwen and (presumably) dondon could probably jump straight into lunatic classic

but yes, jumping straight into it is most likely a terrible idea

You have to get used to the mechanics and how the chapters work. It's a very different game than past ones; if you try to play it like you'd play, say, FE10, you're gonna fail.

On my one completed Lunatic run so far, I held off on DLC, sidequests, Renown, etc. until after Ch17, completing every chapter up to that point without losing units. After that, when I hit a roadblock, I decided to allow myself one play maximum of each DLC I could handle, so I got some extra Exp and gold from those, but in limited amounts, not more than if I'd been playing sidequests regularly the whole time, which I never got around to. I did recruit a couple of SpotPass characters, both past-game ones and ones in the hidden sidequests, at the very end in preparation for the Final. Turns out being willing to lose units there due to a lack of saving doesn't make it easy.

But yes, grinding should not be necessary; you can work with what you get. If not, train more on other modes. The games where you jumped straight to the highest difficulty didn't have a Lunatic mode. (Unless you played FE12 and they did.)

idk man, people like Olwen and (presumably) dondon could probably jump straight into lunatic classic

but yes, jumping straight into it is most likely a terrible idea

They're high tier.

Dondon hacked the previous FE games to have 0% growths.

That's kind of the exception to "It's a bad idea to jump straight into it."

Just because you played F12 (before me), doesn't mean you're an expert (I mean, come on, my name says I'm an expert, but it's a joke, I'm not)

Fair point. I didn't try to mean I'm an expert. All I wanted is to let you know, I'm not some random noob crying about difficulty. It would be the last thing I'd do, haha.

If all "YES", my problem is not I can not beat Lunatic. Because I myself can grind too. My problem is how we do it by paying real money, which is the only way. And it is my biggest disappointment.

Again, someone please yells to me: "you are a noob. I can beat Lunatic without paying real money".

well i like all game and sense i already gone throught lunatic with my cuz and quite fun not dissoponting but like shadow said best do lower before doing lunatic with out grinding your basicly screwed chapt 5 im not guna lie when i did it diffrent then Fe12 i end up dead few time *luckly im one those who dont give up and dovote time try.

i say im fine same look i look asome as a scorcer and warrior be bit weird be a purple cloth warrior and i look like beslio XD *sorry for my grammer* DLC like my exp grind a bit bu i mostly use spotpass like use fiona as lower then use higher for my advance lvl unit and this but i really have say best game i played so far *expt i liked scared stone and blaze sword lyn speed was insine heh* and on more thing use the hint i just said fiona spotpass as training just make sure they have good spped and def or pair up and youll be fine i havent passed chpt 13 and MU and his wife sumia already close being maxed. one more good luck all who try lunatic and never give up!

P.S-sorry for my bad way speaking hard make things down also shadw sorry about other day man if read this.

Edited by Mark

My problem is how we do it by paying real money, which is the only way. And it is my biggest disappointment.

Again, someone please yells to me: "you are a noob. I can beat Lunatic without paying real money".

"I can jump into this game on the highest difficulty. I GOT THIS."

And then you're disappointed when you can't do it without DLC.

Again, your mindset is your own fault. Which is causing your disappointment.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The games where you jumped straight to the highest difficulty didn't have a Lunatic mode. (Unless you played FE12 and they did.)

Yeah man, I started straight away with Lunatic in FE12, beat it, unlocked Lunatic reverse, beat it too with all-A score.

Your post saying you can play up to CH17 gave me some hopes that we don't need to start grinding so early to advance. So, thanks to that!

Guys like dondon know FE well enough to jump into Lunatic mode on first run if they so chose. But ive heard some Hard Mode Veterans up in here going "Lunatic is pretty damn hard." So i dunno.

As for Hard Mode, its not that bad actually. Even without a lot of grinding, its not totally balls to the wall in yer face or anything. Sure its tougher than Normal mode, but thats the point. But it can catch you off guard if you arent totally aware of what the game will throw at you. But in Hard mode, you dont have to grind to make it through the main story. I did, so i could make SUPER BABIES!

I dont know. I dont really plan on doing Lunatic even with Casual mode. Super hard modes arent my style. If i HAD to play Lunatic, yeah id grind. But im not exactly sure if you can make the game your bitch that way in Lunatic...

I use that map and EXPonential Growth to grind for skills so i can make the second gen cray cray. lol

In short, you dont HAVE to grind on Normal/Hard. No idea about Lunatic and im not masochist enough to try.

"I can jump into this game on the highest difficulty. I GOT THIS."

And then you're disappointed when you can't do it without DLC.

Again, your mindset is your own fault. Which is causing your disappointment.

Come on... I know myself this is my own problem.

My point: even if you start with lower difficulty, so what? when you decide to play Lunatic, you still have to grind, and still have to pay for the grind map.

Let me say it once again very clear: I can grind too. And if I do so, I can beat Lunatic Classic in my 1st run NO PROBLEM!

My problem is not I can not beat Lunatic in my 1st play. My problem is: we all have to grind, and pay money, anytime we need to beat Lunatic.

My problem is: we all have to grind, and pay money, anytime we need to beat Lunatic.

Do we though? Im not exactly sure that its necessary to use the DLC for that on any mode. Lunatic+ is another story because thats Lunatic on steroids.... Because if you really WANT to grind but dont wanna pay for the DLC, you could use reeking boxes/skirmishes and spotpass stuff.

I have a few minor nitpicks but I would go far enough to say this is my favorite FE game now. I've already played it more than anything else on my 3DS, and more than some of my favorite games ever. It's pretty addicting.

Like Tear Ring Saga, I'd say yes.

So it appears to me that you pay to win

BS

Never do Lunatic first.

Of course

lol

I'd stay away from it!

But they are not impossible like the skirmishes they throw at you with maxed stat promoted units. Your disappointment is your own fault.

Your "you have to pay to win" point is moot.

Some skirmishes are hard even on Normal.

Okay, if you say so, 3 quick questions

1. If I play Normal/Hard first, does it help me in some ways if I then play Lunatic?

Lunatic will take more than one run on a lower difficulty setting as you have to know exactly which characters to use since this is what we have tier lists for in the first place.

-----

The only thing that's disappointing about this game is that the tales are a total rip-off of both Archanea and Judgrals stories. It may not be the best game in the series, but it's gameplay, DLC/Spotpass, as well as having over 120 characters in the game will get you to play it for months as this game has more replay value than any other FE game in the series.