Kaga's retirement announcement

This is in reply to Othin's question from elsewhere.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Source?

I first saw that from this page: http://forum.gamer.com.tw/C.php?bsn=00553&snA=2795&tnum=3&subbsn=4 (Traditional Chinese)

The original text, as quoted there:

ゲーム制作は過酷であり、またそうでなければ良い作品は作れない。煮えたぎるような情熱と頑強な体力、つまりは若さがなければ無理なのだ。だが今の自分はカップラーメンのニオイをかぐだけで吐きそうになる。そのことに気づいたとき、現場からの引退を決意した。50才という節目の齢だった。

だが言うまでもなくこれまで生み出した作品達は、自分の誇りであり人生そのものだ。どれひとつとっても、どんな些細な事でも、自分にとっては大切な宝。その想いだけは死ぬまで変わることは無いだろう

The original page (http://zeeksweb.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-39.html) is now empty' date=' because Kaga has a tendency of removing his own posts.

Some member translated the text into a language I'm more native to, which is good because I don't have to do that Japanese-to-English translation thing again.

[spoiler=Traditional Chinese translaiton']遊戲製作是非常辛苦的,而且不這樣是做不出好作品的。

需要旺盛的熱情和充沛的體力,也就是說不再年輕的話是做不了的。

但是現在的我只要一聞到速食麵的味道就想吐,

當我意識到這件事的時候我鐵了心要引退了。

正好是50歲的階段。

但是不用說迄今為止製作的作品都是我的驕傲,也是我的人生。

無論是哪一個,無論是多麼微小的點滴,對我來說都是重要的財富。

我對遊戲的熱愛想必到死也不會變吧。

"Making games is a very labourous thing, and if you don't work hard you can't make good games.

It takes much passion and vitality. In other words, you can't do it if you're no longer young.

But today I'd throw up at the smell of instant ramen -

when I realized this, I made up my mind to step down.

Right when I'm aged around 50.

But needless to say, all my work I made up to now are my pride, and my life.

Whichever it is, however small the detail, are all important wealth to me.

I believe my love of game will never change til I die."

nooooooooooooooooo

Understandable when he puts it that way, but still a sad day. Or was a sad day when it happened? Whatever it is.

A quick Google search indicates that he was born 1950, which means this announcement came out around 2000.

...I'm going to guess that the "born in 1950" information was either wrong or more of referring to "the 1950s" rather than the year 1950. He was not retired in 2000, and the statement was put on his blog on 14 March 2012.

That also means what I said about him announcing his retirement "a few months ago" in my other post was also misleading, since it's almost a year since then. My apologies.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Huh. I typed "Shouzou Kaga" into Google and in the little bio thing that pops up it says "Born: 1950."

I'm confused as to what he did after Berwick Saga, though. I don't know Japanese well enough to really read that whole article (without putting a lot of time in, at least) but Berwick is the latest thing he did on the list of works. Other than FE and Tirnanog stuff, all he has is Super Famicom Wars (Nintendo Wars, right?) from 98 and "Trade and Battle Card Hero" from 2000.

Yes. He made FE1~5, Super Famicom Wars, Card Hero (as technical supervisor), TRS and BS. That announcement basically confirmed what we were suspecting: Kaga was going to stop making games altogether (rather than, say, having some sort of secret projects).