Lucina's Falchion (Some Spoilers Inside)

In chapter eight or so, (It's the chapter Two Assassins), Lucina makes a statement that Falchion is gleaming. When Chrom asks her about it, she doesn't explain. This reference is never clarified, or at least not in the first playthrough. I may have missed it, but it could just be something Nintendo wanted us all to guess about. Does anyone have any ideas what this Falchion reference means? It's been bothering me since the moment I got to this part of the game.

It's been bothering me too. The only thing I can think of is that, since Chrom's falchion also gleams in the same way after it's blessed by naga, it's reacting to something? Perhaps Validar's presence?

There's a massive plot hole there, methinks.

Edited by MagicLeafy

Unexplained phenomena with no effect on the story is not a plot hole, and certainly not a "massive" one. Seriously, people throw that term around too casually these days.

There are other things in the game that seem unexplained, like why Lucina fought Chrom as Basilio's champion or why Panne and the Taguel even exist. These and more give me the feeling Nintendo is planning a sequel.

Unexplained phenomena with no effect on the story is not a plot hole, and certainly not a "massive" one. Seriously, people throw that term around too casually these days.

There are other things in the game that seem unexplained, like why Lucina fought Chrom as Basilio's champion or why Panne and the Taguel even exist. These and more give me the feeling Nintendo is planning a sequel.

I would be perfectly okay with a sequel! I just really wish it had been explained.

Her sword could have been reacting to Validar's presence, but didn't Lucina know he was coming anyway? Why then, did she sound startled that her sword was gleaming? those two details don't seem to work together...

I would be perfectly okay with a sequel! I just really wish it had been explained.

Her sword could have been reacting to Validar's presence, but didn't Lucina know he was coming anyway? Why then, did she sound startled that her sword was gleaming? those two details don't seem to work together...

[spoiler=Mid/late-game spoiler]Maybe it's glowing because of Avatar/Grima? Either the one on your side or the one that rescues Validar at the end, or even both?

Edited by Alg

Not many people know this, but the Falchion is actually the glowing Sting blade (Middle Earth was the previous name of Akaneia), and Validar is a descendent of the orcs. It makes total sense for Falchion to glow during that chapter.

That's my theory, at least.

Edited by Constable Reggie

[spoiler=Mid/late-game spoiler]Maybe it's glowing because of Avatar/Grima? Either the one on your side or the one that rescues Validar at the end, or even both?

But if it were the avatar, wouldn't it have gleamed beforehand? It would be more likely because of the Grima-possessed avatar...

Then again, thinking back, didn't the Falchion--Chrom's, to be exact--shine in Chapter 1's cutscene, when he killed the Risen?

Not many people know this, but the Falchion is actually the glowing Sting blade (Middle Earth was the previous name of Akaneia), and Validar is a descendent of the orcs. It makes total sense for Falchion to glow during that chapter.

ah yes but sting was a short sword it must actually be glamdring

The shape of Ylisse does remind me a bit of the shape of Middle-Earth. Which is of course supposed to be the same thing as Eurasia/Africa in the distant past.

FIRE EMBLEM TAKES PLACE ON EARTH.

Considering that Ike migrated to Archanea after FE10, it's safe to assume that the Laguz could as well. Taguel are probably another lost Laguz race.

Considering that Ike migrated to Archanea after FE10, it's safe to assume that the Laguz could as well. Taguel are probably another lost Laguz race.

Come to think of it, isn't it said somewhere that Taguel once could transform into cats and birds?

If a sequel is to be planned, better have a good excuse as to why RFOF said already along with why Grima was evil in the first place. He had no backstory to that as everyone other antagonist did.

Sequel would be awesome.

Going off of her personality, I'm assuming she wanted to test her father's abilities against her own. You know, like in her supports. As far as the Taguel, aren't they pretty much stated to be evolved Laguz?

In the Ricken and Panne support, I believe (not sure which one), Panne says something to the effect of (I can't remember anything near the exact words) "there are those capable of shape-shifting into wolves and lions", put that together with cats and birds and you've got most of the laguz right there. O_o

Also, regarding Falchion, I believe the user actually has the ability to control whether or not it shines to some extent, though it's likely also a reaction to something in general. As for my "evidence", I recall in a certain support conversation (sorry, I don't really pay attention to the very specifics) that someone jokes that Lucina should light up Falchion to search for something or light up some dark place or something, but Lucina reacts by saying that it's not a torch, or something to that effect.

Again, someone seriously needs to clear up my super-vague remarks, but unless I was just dreaming about this, I'm pretty sure such supports exist somewhere. Also, the last statement only suggests that Lucina can control whether or not it emits light--IIRC she never actually admits to being able to do so, so there might be some connection somewhere that we're missing... (Maybe it only glows in the presence of those with Grima's power, e.g. Validar and Risen? And maybe only the blessed/awakened Falchion does?)

Eh, it's definitely something worth looking into, if possible, though the game seems to fail to address several of these issues very well... XP

I thought maybe it gleamed when she was actually changing the past, hence she was kinda like "Holy shit, it's working this time :D"

I had the same impression. Her goal at that moment had been to change a major event in her timeline, and the Falchion gleaming was an indicator that the her actions altered the timeline.

Going off of her personality, I'm assuming she wanted to test her father's abilities against her own. You know, like in her supports. As far as the Taguel, aren't they pretty much stated to be evolved Laguz?

Even if they are evolved Laguz (and that seems like a perfectly reasonable conclusion), there is currently no reason for their inclusion in the game, unlike Laguz playing a major part in the Tellius plots.

Also, regarding Falchion, I believe the user actually has the ability to control whether or not it shines to some extent, though it's likely also a reaction to something in general. As for my "evidence", I recall in a certain support conversation (sorry, I don't really pay attention to the very specifics) that someone jokes that Lucina should light up Falchion to search for something or light up some dark place or something, but Lucina reacts by saying that it's not a torch, or something to that effect.

Oh yeah, this was in Lucina's sibling support (or at least with Morgan). C or B, don't remember which. Probably B.

I thought maybe it gleamed when she was actually changing the past, hence she was kinda like "Holy shit, it's working this time :D"

Maybe so. Future of Despair Lucina's Falchion shined when help arrived too, IIRC. Maybe it's some sort of "success!" signal from the sword.

Oh yeah, this was in Lucina's sibling support (or at least with Morgan). C or B, don't remember which. Probably B.

C support. The one where they were both freaking over a bug, lol.

Also, Lucina corrected him by saying that the Falchion was not some torch you can light up at will.

Edited by MagicLeafy

Even if they are evolved Laguz (and that seems like a perfectly reasonable conclusion), there is currently no reason for their inclusion in the game, unlike Laguz playing a major part in the Tellius plots.

I think the Taguel's purpose, at the moment, is as a throwback for older fans.

The Taguel kind of bridge the gap between the Tellius games (loads of Laguz) and the other games (no Laguz, but some Manaketes).

IIRC, one of the supports mentions the Taguel existing around the first Exalt's time and that he helped free them from slavery... So, er, more prequel material?

Edited by VincentASM

It's been bothering me too. The only thing I can think of is that, since Chrom's falchion also gleams in the same way after it's blessed by naga, it's reacting to something? Perhaps Validar's presence?

Chrom's exalted Falchion gleaming and Lucina's Parallel Falchion gleaming can't logically be inter-related.

Lucina comes from the future where Chrom is killed by the Avatar. But Chrom's sword is exalted in a chapter after the Avatar doesn't kill him. Because in Lucina's future, Chrom was killed before naga was awakened, there's no way Lucina could have inherited a blessed sword.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire
Fixed that for you.