• Ike
    • Micaiah
    • Chrom
    • Lucina

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread is at this point probably successfully reincarnated, I guess I might as well update my votes from last year.

Best: Eprahim

My original vote was for Ike but ultimately Ike was merely a viewpoint character handcrafted for the purpose of healing the wounds of Telius. He did a good job playing his role and is well characterized but ultimately he didn't have a particular personal involvement with the wars. In fact, the game has him deliberately not change over the entire game, against Nasir's prediction that his idealistic outlook would not survive his confrontation with the dark sides of Telius.

It's only by staying true to himself that he became a hero.

Eprahim is different and way more important to his game. Because his story is about himself.

About the person he was, the person he is and the person he would have to become in order to live up to his responsibilities. And his relationship with Lyon, the person he admired for their responsibility and devotion, whose lesson continue to guide him as he is forced to fight him.

Eprahim is an ace. A genius in combat and with a knack for strategy. And yet he is probably the most human Lord in the franchise.

As good as he is, his human frailties are made painfully obvious, with the revelations of chapter 19 forcing him to his knees. But like a hero is intended to, he ultimately overcomes his doubts and makes a decision.

Worst: Chrom

Roy was a shitty Marth clone. That was as lot as he gets. But Chrom...

Who is this guy? Sure, he uses a lot of words and in vacuum they may seem like a part of a character arc.

But they come out of nowhere and are forgotten immediately afterwards.

Like, in chapter 11 he will start talking about finally understanding that all people deep down desire peace, yet he never blamed anyone but Gangrel in the first place. And despite "all people desiring peace" he is just as ready to kill him as before. And afterwards, after crushing Plegia he leaves the now defenseless country to it's fate and allows evil cultists to take over, that feed the population from dragons.

Later against Wallhart, he will suddenly claim that he wants to unite the entire world under his guidance.

Does that go anywhere? Nope, he just leaves the place in the hand of feuding dynasties and goes his merry ways.

And despite his repeated insistence of how great his sister's suicide sacrifice was, he will suddenly forget about it when it's Avatar's life that decides the fate of the world.

Sure, that's Awakening's writing lacking direction as usual. But I have nevertheless no clue who he even is.

He isn't bland as much as that he seems to channel different persons between scenes and switch between different character arcs.

I bring that up because if I could at least see what this guy is supposed to be, I could dismiss his actual actions as shitty writing.

Like, I don't think that Micaiah had no choice but to fight Ike and burn thousands.

But... I can recognize that the writer's intended her to have no choice. That she would either fight or everyone would die.

That it was the lives of the People of Daein or the lives of the Apostle's army. And as a General of Daein, she could only have chosen the people that rely on her.

It's just that the execution of that plot point is lacking. So I don't hold it against her but against the writing in general.

But like this, I can't excuse Chrom's actions.

He abandons the helpless Plegians, he burns down thousands of people (who all deep down desire peace), he leaves Valm on it's own after he killed the guy in the silly red costume and he never thinks about his responsibility as a ruler during the events of the Grima arc. Fittingly, he also never became King during the two year time skip.

In consequence, he should be irresponsible and lacking in empathy. And his attempts at doing good never seem to go beyond killing the enemy leader and let fate sort everything out.

Speaking of fate, his idea of beating it seems to be: Do the same thing that already didn't work and hope that things will somehow work out better this time. "Groundhog Day" with him as the main character would be the most boring movie ever.

Seriously, if trying to shrug off the mind control of an evil god is your Plan A, you really deserve to loose.

And he justifies his insistence that Robin comes along with it allowing Robin to make up for her actions.

How can a hero who doesn't understand that you are not supposed to follow the sunk-cost fallacy be allowed to win?

However, his lack of responsibility is the main reason that this guy is not only a bad character bad a pathetic excuse for a Lord.

Lords are about all about responsibility. They don't just think about their personal needs when the fate of the world is decided. They don't casually slaughter thousands of people like they were pieces on a chessboard. And they will not just ignore the blights of an defeated nation... heck, an entire continent.

Lords are about bringing people together. Not a bunch of random freaks but people from any country.

They prove that there is a common ground between all people and they inspire the ones who have already lost hope.

And they understand that slaying a villain doesn't automatically fix everything but is only the beginning of the challenge of building a lasting peace. They may not start as such but they will grow into that role.

Chrom is only about himself and his League of Super Shepherds kicking ass across the world.

People don't matter to him unless they are PCs. And his responsibility as a ruler never matters to him at all.

Edited by BrightBow

And despite his repeated insistence of how great his sister's suicide sacrifice was, he will suddenly forget about it when it's Avatar's life that decides the fate of the world.

I don't want it to appear as if I disagree with what you say, I agree with a large portion of it, but I think Chrom would have changed Emmeryn death if he had the chance. He believes the Avatar shouldn't sacrifice them in the same way he believes Emmeryn shouldn't sacrifice herself yet still acknowledges the benefits that the sacrifice brought about. It is because of that he needs to praise it as an act so it wasn't in vain. At least that's the impression I got. I easily could be trying to read too much into a sub par story.

I don't want it to appear as if I disagree with what you say, I agree with a large portion of it, but I think Chrom would have changed Emmeryn death if he had the chance. He believes the Avatar shouldn't sacrifice them in the same way he believes Emmeryn shouldn't sacrifice herself yet still acknowledges the benefits that the sacrifice brought about. It is because of that he needs to praise it as an act so it wasn't in vain. At least that's the impression I got. I easily could be trying to read too much into a sub par story.

I don't know how Chrom feels about it because it's not discussed . I know that the writers at least realized that the two situations relate to each other since Aversa off all people brings it up when fighting Chrom.

Chrom: Robin sees beyond himself/herself, to the larger reality. One person's life means nothing in the shadow of millions.

Aversa: A sweet sentiment, and easily spoken when you bear no love for the one... But more difficult when the sacrifice was your exalted sister, wasn't it? I don't expect you to see the world through my eyes, Prince. But I won't pretend to understand how things look through yours.

Chrom: ...Then I suppose there is nothing more to say.

As you can see, the debate is already over and Chrom will later talk as if he always was apposed to the One person's life means nothing in the shadow of millions viewpoint. There is no transition.

And Chrom bluntly saying to Avatar that Emmeryn would have not wanting her to sacrifice herself is as close as the game gets to discuss it.

Edited by BrightBow

I think the scene in Renais castle is damn good contrast to the Altea castle scene. Like, really freaking brilliant.

We have the crowd cheering for Marth who hides his inner pain to celebrate with his people.

And then we have Seth telling Ephraim to grow up and that the people are not cheering for him at all but for a brighter tomorrow.

Those methods are not unavailable. There is no logical reason that they couldn't have tracked them without Lyn.

It is a good idea that the story has her track them when she is already around anyway but it is no good justification to introduce her as a main character just to have her get rid of this plot irrelevant and artificial obstacle.

And it's missing the point: The group tracking down the Black Fang is only a problem because the story wants it to be a problem. What does this problem contribute to the story other then excuse Lyn' presence.

They were traviling in secret. Obviously, if you want to do that, you need the group with you small as possible to that it wouldn't attract too much attention. Naturally sending a scout would be out of the question unless if the scout in question had previous experience in tracking. And Lyn even mentions herself that any presence of Vaida or her soldiers were fading, implying that Vaida was at least smart enough to cover her tracks. If a scout was available, who's to say that said scout wouldn't be able to catch up on that?

Legault didn't actually say that, though.

Legault: "Yes. Black Fang's headquarters are here in Bern. The location was never disclosed to me, though. The Black Fang is so much different than it once was. Any information we could gain would be beneficial."

He flat out says that nobody ever told him where the headquarters are. But that's besides the point.

As I've underlined, he also says that the Black Fang operations have considerably changed. Who's to says that the location of their base hasn't changed along with their operations?

The point is that the story bends desperately backwards for no other reason then to find justifications for Lyn's presence in the story. Yes, that is a sign of having no story significance. That is a sign that a characters is tagged on to the plot rather then being an actual, integral part of it.

Like Hector? He has no real reason for his presence in FE7 aide from the fact that he's an FE6 character.

However my last line still answers the actual issue about Lundgren: "If it wasn't for Lyn, Caelin wouldn't have been involved in the story at all." Because he has no purpose in the story but serving as a villain in the prologue.

There's absolutely no way to know what I've just bolded for sure. Just because Lyn wouldn't be invovled in her story doesn't mean Caelin wouldn't have been. Or Lundgren for that matter.

Stuff doesn't just happen automatically in a story. It happens because it's written that way.

So if Lyn wasn't there, the twins wouldn't have been captured at all.

They would only have been captured when the story needed them to be captured. Which is always going to be just in time for them to escape and meeting up with Eliwood.

Plus, you can't use her actions during the prologue to show that Lyn has story significance after the prologue.

1. Who says that Ninian and Nils are twins?

2. No, I'm pretty sure the absence of one character would create quite a number of handfuls of inconsistencies in the story if the character is a major player. I mean, we know that Ninian was captured by Nergal's goons before she met and was rescued by Eliwood. If Lyn wasn't there to meet up with Nils when he was evading capture, he almost certainly would have fallen into Nergal's hands. The simple fact is that one can only run for so long. And Nils wouldn't have had the luxury to rescue both siblings. And even after the rescue, considering the fact that they were captured again after Lyn's story, Nergal would have likely been able to open the Dragon Gate much sooner than he already does in the story.

And what are those reasons? This thread doesn't give much to work with in that regard,

It's various. Certainly, there are people that like her for her personality and for her dynamic with other characters. The latter of which is often the reason why people like any pairings involving her such as Hector/Lyn, which won "Best/Worst Canon Couple" on this board sometime ago. So you can't really say she has "no interesting character dynamic" when her dynamic with other characters is exactly why people like certain pairs. And you can't really say she has no interesting personality when there are people that actually like her personality. Heck, some people have even found her to be one of the most relatable FE lords alongside Hector.

Legault just says that he was never told the location of the base. Despite being close friends with the founding members. His words imply that the base's location never changed.

Even then, his job was to track down Black Members who failed a job and ran away. He would the ideal person to track down Black Fang members when Eliwood and Hector were chasing them.

This double stupidity on Legault's part is clearly something forced by the writers to give Lyn something to do.

Most of the lords are a little generic so I don't have that much feelings towards any of them, but there are some lords I like more then others.

Best: I like Sigurd for being a good unit and actually having his good qualities be more of a hindrance then a help during the story.

I'm also fond of Roy, but that might be because I like rooting for the underdog and because I think he doesn't do enough to deserve the dislikes he gets.

Worst: I'm not too fond of Hector since I always thought his attitude was annoying.

I'm also not that fond of Eirika. Her story with Leon was nicely done, but I felt she barely accomplished anything in the first chapters and in her own route.

• 3 weeks later...

Best tied between Ike and Hector but voted for Ike for having 2 games for himself.

Worst crowned to Micaiah for her super annoying attitude in chapter 3.

I dislike Micaiah for being a Mary-Sue.

We like Ike!

I still don't get how this is a thing people say. She is far less Mary Sue-ish than Ike. Sure she was written badly, but her character arc itself puts almost every other character arc in FE to shame. She's both a deconstruction of a Mary Sue, and also basically the opposite of Ike - starts popular and well-known by the people of her country, which she is trying to save; ends up not questioning authority at all, and in doing so is stuck in an impossible moral dilemma; come the end gets completely marginalized while Ike steals the spotlight.

Now I would agree that the story of awaking is a bit rough, you are being a little unfair to Chrom, in peticular who he seemingly leaves Plegia completly alone to be consumed by a dark cult.

Though less ideological, is more realistic. Yliesss was equally devastated by the war, and in no condition to occupy another country, not to mention the war ended with the majority of Plegia surrendering peacefully. After finishing of Gangrel, Chrom had no reason to stay and more important problems at home.

Though the grimleaf became more powerful, according to Gangrel, during his rule still held tons of power politically in the country, with Aversa even being the chief advisor to the king. So unless Chrom followed his father and declared war on the grimleaf and wiped out all the members, they still would have had power.

The first arch is a compressed version of a generic fire emblem plot, and Chrom does no more to help the country then any other game, except this time we see the consequences.

None of the other fire emblem lords ever try to rebuild the countries they invade. They rebuild their country, but always delegate that immense task to natives they recruited, usually the nobles and royalty. Chrom only recruited Thaja, who I don't think anyone would want running a country.

Also with the Valmense, they had no time to rebuild, for the final grima arch started immediately after the fall of Walheart.

Not to mention occuping another country is a huge grey area.

None of the other fire emblem lords ever try to rebuild the countries they invade. They rebuild their country, but always delegate that immense task to natives they recruited, usually the nobles and royalty. Chrom only recruited Thaja, who I don't think anyone would want running a country.

Also with the Valmense, they had no time to rebuild, for the final grima arch started immediately after the fall of Walheart.
Not to mention occuping another country is a huge grey area.

Marth appoints unseen "good" people to help oversee Macedon in FE3 after Minerva's rule crumbles and then dedicates himself to rebuilding all the continent after everyone cedes everything to him. He has Draug watch Grust on his behalf, for instance, not a native Grustian. Seliph also has to oversee the reconstruction of a big chunk of Jugdral and he outsources the rest of it to his friends and relations... and if they're dead, he takes on it all. Ephraim oversees the reconstruction of Grado as well as the restoration of Renais. Alm gets all of Valentia so of course he's rebuilding it into what becomes Valm. Leaf wants all of Thracia and gets it and then turns it into a military power. It's actually pretty standard aside from the Elibe lords and Ike.

Marth appoints unseen "good" people to help oversee Macedon in FE3 after Minerva's rule crumbles and then dedicates himself to rebuilding all the continent after everyone cedes everything to him. He has Draug watch Grust on his behalf, for instance, not a native Grustian. Seliph also has to oversee the reconstruction of a big chunk of Jugdral and he outsources the rest of it to his friends and relations... and if they're dead, he takes on it all. Ephraim oversees the reconstruction of Grado as well as the restoration of Renais. Alm gets all of Valentia so of course he's rebuilding it into what becomes Valm. Leaf wants all of Thracia and gets it and then turns it into a military power. It's actually pretty standard aside from the Elibe lords and Ike.

Marth, Alm and Seliph basically become the ruler of their respective continents, thus reconstructing the world would be their responsibility.
Leaf's story is about reclaiming his country he lost, so of course he's going to rebuilt it when he wins it back.
Ephraim is the only lord who actually helps rebuilt another country he hasn't conquered and who's people he isn't responsible for. unless he finds a wife
So it's the norm to only rebuild your country, just it so happens your examples conquered the world with the power of friendship, making it their country and their problem
Edited by Mrbrkill

Funnily enough despite Ephraim's help Grado is probably one of the worst off countries of the series by the end since not only does it lose it's royal line, it gets hit by that huge climactic earthquake Lyon predicted with most other countries believe it's their diving punishment for being invasive assholes.

Edited by Jotari

Favorite: Sigurd. In part for being my first Lord, in part for being legitimately awesome. Renais twins and Chrom are the runners-up, followed by Lyn and FE9 Ike.

Least favorite: of the games I've played.... I guess Roy because he's trouble in gameplay, even though I like him enough as a character.

Marth, Alm and Seliph basically become the ruler of their respective continents, thus reconstructing the world would be their responsibility.
Leaf's story is about reclaiming his country he lost, so of course he's going to rebuilt it when he wins it back.
Ephraim is the only lord who actually helps rebuilt another country he hasn't conquered and who's people he isn't responsible for. unless he finds a wife
So it's the norm to only rebuild your country, just it so happens your examples conquered the world with the power of friendship, making it their country and their problem

Marth didn't have to spent a single thought on rebuilding Macedon when Altea was still under occupation mid-way through FE3. He did it because he's Marth and he's a good and compassionate ruler and this was a way of showing to the players that Marth is as good as his reputation makes him out to be. Macedon fell into his lap and he bothered to set up a stable government before working his way home. One throwaway line in Chapter 10 shows what Marth's about-- and that's really all it would've taken in FE13 to make Chrom look a lot more sensible. Have a line saying Chrom set up a provisional government to reconstruct Plegia and then oops, Validar offs them all because hey, what's a few more murders to Validar?

Leif doesn't reclaim the southern part of Thracia because Leif never ruled that, his dad never ruled that, and his grand-dad never ruled it, but that's a debate for a whole other thread.

while Ike steals the spotlight.

I personally don't get why people complain about this. Ike "steals the spotlight" because he is the most respected person in Tellius during RD's events and one of the strongest warriors in the world. Why NOT put him in charge of the whole army? Why NOT entrust him with Yune's power so he can end Ashera's misguided ambitions? He already EARNED all the respect and strength he possesses that EARNED him those rights. Besides, Micaiah still served her purpose as Yune's vessel, which was what she was meant to be in the end.

Micaiah is loved in the beginning by all, has unique powers that no one else has, not even other Branded (and it's never stated that Heron Branded before her had similar powers either), and she never did a damn thing to earn it. I also don't like her selfishness at times. She never considers how her actions affect innocent people of other nations. She only cares about the people of HER nation. She's completely fine with letting innocents of other countries die.

Ike, on the other hand, is willing and wants to help all innocent people. He offered food and money to the Daeins even when he was invading their nation to stop Ashnard. And even though they spit on him in refusal, he still wanted to help. He knew it was the RIGHT thing to do. And after the war was over, he entrusted Daein to Begnion, thinking it was also the right thing to do (though unfortunately, he couldn't at all predict that Begnion would treat the Daeins like dirt).

Edited by Anacybele

I personally don't get why people complain about this. Ike "steals the spotlight" because he is the most respected person in Tellius during RD's events and one of the strongest warriors in the world. Why NOT put him in charge of the whole army? Why NOT entrust him with Yune's power so he can end Ashera's misguided ambitions? He already EARNED all the respect and strength he possesses that EARNED him those rights. Besides, Micaiah still served her purpose as Yune's vessel, which was what she was meant to be in the end.

Micaiah is loved in the beginning by all, has unique powers that no one else has, not even other Branded (and it's never stated that Heron Branded before her had similar powers either), and she never did a damn thing to earn it. I also don't like her selfishness at times. She never considers how her actions affect innocent people of other nations. She only cares about the people of HER nation. She's completely fine with letting innocents of other countries die.

It's less about the logic of stealing the spotlight and more about the narrative way in which he steals the spotlight. They introduce a brand new (female) protagonist and let the player get to know the scenario only do completely put her on the backburner for the rest of the game. In my opinion playing host to Yune was even more detrimental to Micaiah since it meant she essentially got replaced by another character again for the last part.

Edited by Jotari

It's less about the logic of stealing the spotlight and more about the narrative way in which he steals the spotlight. They introduce a brand new (female) protagonist and let the player get to know the scenario only do completely put her on the backburner for the rest of the game. In my opinion playing host to Yune was even more detrimental to Micaiah since it meant she essentially got replaced by another character again for the last chapter.

Well, we WERE shown in the last game that the true Begnion apostle is the voice of the goddess. We should have expected such when Micaiah was revealed to be just that.

Ike, on the other hand, is willing and wants to help all innocent people. He offered food and money to the Daeins even when he was invading their nation to stop Ashnard. And even though they spit on him in refusal, he still wanted to help. He knew it was the RIGHT thing to do. And after the war was over, he entrusted Daein to Begnion, thinking it was also the right thing to do (though unfortunately, he couldn't at all predict that Begnion would treat the Daeins like dirt).

The problem with Ike taking the spotlight is that the GMs show up and basically steal the game back from the DB/CRKs, and generally I find their story bits less interesting than Parts 1 & 2 and what the DB has in Part 3.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that her powers are part of being a heron branded, since, you know, apostles are supposed to have the gift of foresight. The DB's story arc also starts later than Ike's in FE9. They've already started fighting against Begnion. Micaiah, with her powers and distinctive appearance, is the symbolic leader. She's not loved for no reason, the buildup simply isn't shown in the story because Micaiah doesn't have a full game to earn respect the way Ike does.

As for her selfishness... I have two problems. First, have you even played the game? Micaiah's not like 'Whoo let's go kill some furries!" in Part 3. Yes she decides the population of Daein is more important than the laguz soldiers, but it's not like she doesn't care about them. She cares very deeply for the people of Daein, rather. To the extent that she abandons her morals and even kills Pelleas. That brings me to the next problem I have with this part of your post: The fact that she is willing to those awful things in Part 3 is entirely why her character arc is better than Ike's and basically any other lord's. Your complaint is that she isn't perfect, and look how perfect Ike is instead! But that's the point. Ike's basically mister perfect from the beginning. He gets to be a better leader and his dad dies, but neither of those things really change him. He has no meaningful flaws and is some sort of moral paragon. Micaiah cares deeply about things and she has flaws and that causes conflict in the story. FE has never had strong writing, but with good writing Micaiah would be a far, far, far more interesting character than Ike unless the writer actually made changes to Ike's character.

The problem with Ike taking the spotlight is that the GMs show up and basically steal the game back from the DB/CRKs, and generally I find their story bits less interesting than Parts 1 & 2 and what the DB has in Part 3.

This is merely down to opinion. I personally found Ike's part of the game to be more interesting. Part 3 is my favorite part of the game, in fact.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that her powers are part of being a heron branded, since, you know, apostles are supposed to have the gift of foresight. The DB's story arc also starts later than Ike's in FE9. They've already started fighting against Begnion. Micaiah, with her powers and distinctive appearance, is the symbolic leader. She's not loved for no reason, the buildup simply isn't shown in the story because Micaiah doesn't have a full game to earn respect the way Ike does.

Exactly. We don't see any build up, which is the problem here.

And it's never stated whether other Heron Branded had healing powers or anything or if her predecessors had such abilities. It's only known that apostles before her were also the voice of the goddess. And branding Micaiah a savior just because of a unique hair color and unique power is stupid, imo. People began to see Ike as a savior because of his strength, battle skills, character, etc.

As for her selfishness... I have two problems. First, have you even played the game? Micaiah's not like 'Whoo let's go kill some furries!" in Part 3. Yes she decides the population of Daein is more important than the laguz soldiers, but it's not like she doesn't care about them. She cares very deeply for the people of Daein, rather. To the extent that she abandons her morals and even kills Pelleas. That brings me to the next problem I have with this part of your post: The fact that she is willing to those awful things in Part 3 is entirely why her character arc is better than Ike's and basically any other lord's. Your complaint is that she isn't perfect, and look how perfect Ike is instead! But that's the point. Ike's basically mister perfect from the beginning. He gets to be a better leader and his dad dies, but neither of those things really change him. He has no meaningful flaws and is some sort of moral paragon. Micaiah cares deeply about things and she has flaws and that causes conflict in the story. FE has never had strong writing, but with good writing Micaiah would be a far, far, far more interesting character than Ike unless the writer actually made changes to Ike's character.

Of course I've played the damn game. Why else would RD be listed as my favorite FE? And I never said Micaiah didn't care about Daein. I said Daein is the ONLY thing she cares for. She doesn't give a damn at all about innocent Crimeans, Begnion people, or laguz. She only cares about them if they join her cause. Otherwise, they don't matter one bit.

A character doesn't have to have changes to their personality in order to be a good character. And besides that, Ike DOES change a bit over time. He doesn't think all nobles are stupid idiots anymore because he met and befriended people like Elincia, Geoffrey, Lucia, etc. He still doesn't like their lifestyle and surely hates bastards like the Begnion senators, but still. He abandons his idea of not caring at all for nobles to help the ones that need help.

Ike grows for different reasons than Micaiah. He grows to live up to his father's legacy, not to abandon all of his beliefs later.

I never said Ike was perfect either. Nobody is perfect. So stop putting words in my mouth. Also, ANYONE would be a more interesting character with good writing.

Best: Micaiah. I simply like her arc for giving us a more troubled Lord that shows the real two sides of war. If anything, she's my favorite for giving us the most interesting storyline in the series, at least while it lasts. Once everyone joins bands at Part 4 the story falls apart heavily, but I still liked Micaiah and what she brought into the game. Runner ups would be Hector, Leif and Ephraim.

Worst: Ike. Specifically FE10 Ike. Mainly because at this point in the story, the game barely gives me any reason to care about him. He shows up, steals the spotlight, does stuff, says some of the most generic, mechanical dialogue ever in the series, then the game is over. While every other Lord at least feel like part of the story, FE10 Ike feels like he's going through the motions, just showing up to do stuff and make the game advance. I can't say I particularly hate the character, I just don't give a damn about him.

The ONLY scene with Ike I really liked in FE10 was his brief talk with Sanaki after F-E-1, where she asks him talk to just call her "Empress". For once, Ike's monotone dialogue resulted in an actually funny exchange.