Does/did anyone else enjoy making games?

Knight

Like a lot of ten year-old kids, I loved to play Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and also a lot of board games. Some times, my creative juices would start flowing, and I started making my own board games or TCG's. Some of the card games I made were really cool, I had come up with all sorts of concepts. I even had one where it was just plain dinosaurs, and you had to feed them to keep them on the field as you tried to kill your opponents dinos. I usually used my brother as a test subject for the games, and it worked well. Did anyone else do this sort of thing or still does? Any of them you'd like to share?

I guess it would count if I mentioned the game in my signature. It's a clone of Smash Bros. made in game maker, and is the leading competitor to Smash Flash 2 by far. I don't make the game per say, but I do balancing and other testing for the game. It's currently available to download for free and features more than 40 playable characters.

As far as card games go, I once tried to make a Zelda card game that didn't go over too well, but since then I have helped play-test and balance a card game an acquaintance of mine made. It's called Crusade Card Clash, and it's based on the smash clone I mentioned before, Super Smash Bros. Crusade. It plays similarly to MTG but is unique in its own right and quite fun. You can find the database of about 500 cards on the same forum in my signature as well.

I remember making an attempt at a board game like thing. Never really took off, it remained mostly as concept ideas in my head or written down then lost. Actually, that's what happens to most of my stuff nowadays. It never really leaves my head, though I do write it down if I really like the idea, just in case.

Oh man to this day I still remember when I was a little kid and tried making board games. Let me start off by saying that I fucking love board games, and absolutely no one I know has anything more than a passing interest in, like, playing Monopoly or some shit. I have Twilight Imperium and its two expansions sitting like ten feet away and I haven't been able to play a game of it with anyone because everyone's schedules suck or they don't want to play. Anyways, I remember once in third grade we had to do some kind of crafts project, and I decided to make a board game for Altered Beast, which was a game I was totally into at the time. I drew a Monopoly-looking board on a big ol' piece of white construction paper and cut out characters from cardboard. I remember thinking it looked so badass and then presenting it and getting berated because it was lame. And then later some girl had a board game that was all laminated with its own instruction manual and everything.

Life is pain ;__;

Oh man to this day I still remember when I was a little kid and tried making board games. Let me start off by saying that I fucking love board games, and absolutely no one I know has anything more than a passing interest in, like, playing Monopoly or some shit. I have Twilight Imperium and its two expansions sitting like ten feet away and I haven't been able to play a game of it with anyone because everyone's schedules suck or they don't want to play. Anyways, I remember once in third grade we had to do some kind of crafts project, and I decided to make a board game for Altered Beast, which was a game I was totally into at the time. I drew a Monopoly-looking board on a big ol' piece of white construction paper and cut out characters from cardboard. I remember thinking it looked so badass and then presenting it and getting berated because it was lame. And then later some girl had a board game that was all laminated with its own instruction manual and everything.

Life is pain ;__;

Would play.

Hell yeah. been doing it for the last 19 years. I'm programming one right now that's TCG based that borrows ideas from JRPGs, FE, MtG, L5R, Dominion and Pokemon. Still finishing up the GUI, it's kinda more difficult than anticipated...

I recently started making a TCG type game borrowing elements of the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh card games, as well as a few of my own ideas. I have never got into anything on the computer yet, I have little knowledge of programming.

I've witnessed a friend make a really bad card game about two years back. It was pretty awful, but it was all in good fun, I guess.

Another friend of mine was all about making games when he was a kid, and even today, he does so. He's thought of a ton of games, though none of which I remember were card-based. My favorite of his was a game involving a pool table and all the billiard balls, and you'd take a color as your own. The solid ball was the "Knight", and the striped ball was the "Squire". Each color had its own ability that typically the knight could only invoke. The 8 ball (Black Knight) would be placed in the center of the table before a match, and if you knocked it out, you were out. Last knight standing won, and would have 4 rounds to defeat the Black Knight (controlled by the runner-up). If there is a tie, or if one loses to the Black Knight, there would be a joust: the two knights face each other one-on-one. He made it when we were 10 or 11, and it's still pretty fun. IIRC, the abilities were:

Red- You could roll the cue ball from your position as a projectile

Maroon- Could control another ball on your turn; if the ball you decide to control dies, you die as well.

Blue- You can set up that triangle thing as a shield (but cannot move)

Green- You can copy you team-mate's/enemy's ability

Yellow- Ability to go twice in a round (broken as fuck)

Orange- If the Knight dies, the Squire can still continue

Purple- I forgot. Something about traps?

Fun game, man.

Edited by Doga

lol @Mercury that looks like advertising but hey it got me to check it out and that's pretty cool.

So uh anyway just gonna throw this here...

ebd39ce03127c727d1706f743674541a.png

I think most people would naturally enjoy making games. I mean, games are meant to be fun to play, so why not have one fit your own rules for your own purpose?

lol @Mercury that looks like advertising but hey it got me to check it out and that's pretty cool.

So uh anyway just gonna throw this here...

ebd39ce03127c727d1706f743674541a.png

I think most people would naturally enjoy making games. I mean, games are meant to be fun to play, so why not have one fit your own rules for your own purpose?

I guess so, but I just couldn't resist since it's a big project I'm helping out with. And who doesn't like a good round of smash, anyway?