Team Challenge: Round 1 Showcase

Astelaine

I believe I've received everyone's work from the Super Spriting Team Challenge, so without further ado: the entries! I've included any character blurbs or reference sketches that came with the sprites.

Team Challenge: Round 1 Showcase!

Challenge Theme: Sprite a Lord character! This can be an existing FE lord, or an original character meant to lead a Fire Emblem army - however you choose to interpret it.

[battle Sprites]

Team 13: Mercenary Lord & Deranger

5b8FyIH.png

"Meet Keril, the Common Lord. Born to a regular villager family, he became the leader of a civilian rebellion against a corrupt king through chance, confusion, and his uncanny skill with an axe."

[Portraits]

Team Old Ladies of Serenes Forest: Eclipse & Astelaine

axelady_zps73407ef5.png

Team 2: Kon & Ponih

ElbRKjv.gif

Team 4: Solum & Ubel Engel

568567Greatteamsplice.png

Team Amewlia: Mewiyev & Amelia

cecilla.png

Team 6: RisingSolaris & Kramgnauh

supersprite_zpsd8da1b7f.png

Team 7: ShinyPichu & BwdYeti

pichus_and_yetis_submmision..png

Team Fuzzy Merc: Fuzz94 & The Merc

Fuzzy-Merc_zpsb95877a9.gif

Team 9: AthenaWyrm & Yoshi

3f4c671f0ce8c6e1f6d795e9da7c1778.png

Team10: ObLivia & MarioKirby

cooplord_01_zpsbd7fe0d0.png

Concept sketch/ref

Team 11: MiniBladez & Lenh

lord96x96_mykelenh_zps61cb1cb1.png

Team DoYouEvenLift?: Redfield & Seph1212

collab11.gif

----------------------------------------

Everyone, please pat yourselves on the back - these are fabulous! Due to the great turnout, high number of completed entries, and the overall quality of the sprites, I am considering the team challenge a success. Feel free to celebrate and comment on the entries in this thread. In addition, please give me some feedback:

1) What was your experience with the exercise? How did it go for you?

2) What was your process - how did you go about making your sprite with your partner?

Discuss!

Fuzz and Merc, you've been randomly chosen to provide the theme for the next round! Please PM it to me after you've settled on an idea! (Keep it safe for work, will ya, Merc? wink.gif)

Thank you so much to all the teams that participated! Let's party! NewYearsEmoticon.gif

Edited by Astelaine

My experience?

Well it convinced me I'm completely bad at spriting.

But I had fun fully customizing rough sketch Solum made, then gave it back to him for him to tidy up.

I'm very pleased to know that I can customize a bit... nothing on you guys' level tho.

Classes and concepts GO!

(Astelaine, mind if we spill ours?)

Ahem. . .I found out that I'm not quite as bad as I thought. . .but still pretty bad. I think I'm a bit better above the neck, but not much. I still need to learn how to properly shade a shirt! Thanks for putting up with me!

I...did a terrible job of being a partner. Very sorry, Mariokirby. >:

Iono what our class and background stuff is. We'd planned for an "older female lord" with "dark skin" and a "white and blue palette". I think that was really it.

...unfortunately, it kind of turned into "steampunk-Awakening-esque black male lord with blue/white/green palette", instead.

[spoiler=More concept crap]2sprQ.png

Edited by ObLIVIA

Classes and concepts GO!

(Astelaine, mind if we spill ours?)

Ahem. . .I found out that I'm not quite as bad as I thought. . .but still pretty bad. I think I'm a bit better above the neck, but not much. I still need to learn how to properly shade a shirt! Thanks for putting up with me!

Go ahead and spill! smile.gif

And really, Eclipse, you are definitely better than you think! You should enter all the splicing contests you can manage - it will give you plenty of practice/observation of the official mugs, and fitting the pieces together will help you get comfortable with customing. I'd love to see more stuff from you. Btw, you were a pleasure to work with, and I am proud of our lord :D

@AK/MarioKirby: I love love love both your sprite and the sketches!

Edited by Astelaine

Astelaine and I decided to stay away from lords we've seen (so young men and younger women), so we made an older woman who wields an axe. She's blond because Holmes doesn't count (red, blue, and green hair were already taken).

(and thanks~!)

Omg I want them all. drool.gif

Kon x Ponih is my favourite one! Or maybe Jelly x Mariokirby... Ergh, they're all so nice!

Edited by eCut

Me and Kram had lots of fun doing ours! I made a (pretty bad) sketch/ reference which he worked on. I put some finishing touches, and then he edited it some more at the end. I'm definitely doing this again.

Edited by risingSolaris

Fuzz and I flipped coins to determine:

general class

sex

hair, armor, other colors

Then we forged our mug :D on the last day because we were busy.

Oh and we seemed to get along swimmingly. :D I'd say this was a positive experience for me. :D

Edited by The Merc

Seph and I had a fun time doing this. We first got together and decided the gender. We also didn't want to do an OMGLIEKTOTALLYPRINCESS~ lord. We wanted to think outside the box. I pitched the idea of a tribal "lord". We then decided that Native American inspired was overdone, so I pitched the idea of an Amazonian inspired theme. From there, we just went for it! I think I kinda was the dominant one on the designing though. I should have stepped back and let Seph do all the designing and me with the cleaning/edit. It was also kind of hard not to just finish it in one go without passing back to Seph (because I'm really nitpicky) so I had to force myself to stop at each checkpoint as to allow Seph to do some more work on it (yeah...I know...I'm terrible). But, either way, I had a great time. Here is the evolution of our sprite:

ahhhhunfreez.gif

(the blue box is Seph's work, the green box is mine)

can I plz haz Nih next round kthnxbai

First time experiencing conversation based/more real time critique (as opposed to post on serenes, see if anyone comments, and see if I understand their comments), which is something beneficial, and something I will use in the future.

(Though, for the record, it was Merc doing most of the work, and me just critiquing a lot. I swear to god, if anyone brings up the inuendic aspect of <--, I'm going to...well...damn, internet threats are harder than I anticipated.)

Can we get a least one more battle spriter next time? I love threesomes.

Edited by deranger

We kind of just were like: "Oh, you know what'd be cool? An axe-lord of common beginnings. With a cape." Then I started, made a bunch of stuff, and the cape didn't work. Then I sent it to deranger. He made edits, and criticized.

[spoiler=Here is the process]

Gu9c5Py.gif

EVERYTHING IS SO GOOD THO. Ath/Yoshi, Eclipse/Astel and Kon/Nih are my favorites here I think :3

I think this was a fun thing overall to try. I collaborate with Yoshi almost exclusively so it was a fun change to work with someone else who has a different skillset and make a new friend! I'll definitely enter the next round of this.

Amelia and I kind of played our strengths in this one. I did the prelim sketches/made the base and Amelia did the hard stuff made her all sparkly and flowy and finished. I don't know if this is doing any more justice to Celica than the FE:A DLC is but that's what we were going for~ Yay Princess~

Seeing it next to the others, I think it came out a bit misproportioned for an FE sprite but that's kay, getting the profile anywhere near correct was a feat

Edited by Mewiyev

I...did a terrible job of being a partner. Very sorry, Mariokirby. >:

Iono what our class and background stuff is. We'd planned for an "older female lord" with "dark skin" and a "white and blue palette". I think that was really it.

...unfortunately, it kind of turned into "steampunk-Awakening-esque black male lord with blue/white/green palette", instead.

[spoiler=More concept crap]2sprQ.png

...I felt like I was the bad partner out of our group. What.

ObLIVIA pretty much covered everything about our collaboration. Although I thought we were still spriting a woman. I certainly enjoyed working with someone with a lot more expertise than my own. Certainly wouldn't mind doing more of these challenges in the future.

can I plz haz Nih next round kthnxbai

yez plz have me

I guess I should say something about this too!

I've actually been quite busy this month because of school, trips to prague and freaking tests, so skyping with Kon was quite difficult, also because my timezone is like 6 hours ahead (fjhuhou italy fkgguo).

We ended up doing most of the work on the last days, but anyway I enjoyed talking to her a lot, she was a really nice partner and in the end we managed to get our sprite baby done, so no regrets ^w^

you go gurl <3

Everyone made such beautiful sprite babies~

Schedule conflicts aside, this was really fun! For our creative process, I just made a bunch of crud and Nih made it all gorgeous and amazing. <3