Differences?

Raegas

I'm deciding on whether I should play through Mystery of the Emblem or play Shadow Dragon and FE12. Are there any major differences between the two in the way of story? I want the full experience of Marth's story.

I'd definitely go with the DS remakes.

FE3 is way too slow and the translation is kind of boring I'm allowed to say that because I did it.

The DS remakes are much quicker to play (they invented the ability to skip enemy turns) and while FE11 is a bit dull, FE12 is totally awesome, with tons of new extras (300 base conversations, BS FE, DLC episodes, etc.).

I'd definitely go with the DS remakes.

FE3 is way too slow and the translation is kind of boring I'm allowed to say that because I did it.

The DS remakes are much quicker to play (they invented the ability to skip enemy turns) and while FE11 is a bit dull, FE12 is totally awesome, with tons of new extras (300 base conversations, BS FE, DLC episodes, etc.).

You should have given Doga lines.

If you don't mind to read the story 3 is a fine choice

I say this because FE3 actually lacks the ability to skip Dialogue at all.

no, seriously. This is a big deal because IIRC FE1 allowed you to hold A to fast forward the dialogue

emulator wise, SNES emulator are faster than DS emulator so thats quite a plus and a factor

Theres actually some personality changes for better or worse in FE12

FE3 has both games in one, and a fast forward button on the SNES emulator :P

FE12 has more development for characters then FE3 book 2 did but it took away from some of the story of 3 and made it more side plot to the "new" set of characters added in fe12 which I found to be a bit irritating.

There's no reason to play the older games. The remakes are not only more beautiful graphically, but they contain a deeper plot (with the exception of FE11) with a much better written dialogue, gaiden maps, the Avatar unit on FE12, harder difficulty levels, forges, reclassing and supports.

There's no reason to play the older games. The remakes are not only more beautiful graphically, but they contain a deeper plot (with the exception of FE11) with a much better written dialogue, gaiden maps, the Avatar unit on FE12, harder difficulty levels, forges, reclassing and supports.

Back in my day!

The older games have a simplistic charm. FE3 was my first FE, and it was a nice introduction to the series. Enemies weren't too strong, maps were simple, no weapon triangle to worry about.

I'd personally say the avatar is the deterrent, considering he takes the Marth plot for him/herself, the fact that YOU are in the game as an overpowered Mary Sue is quite irritating. The rest may be nice features I will admit that, I just don't like the avatar at all and I personally find myself replaying FE3 over 11/12

Edited by Jedi

I'd personally say the avatar is the deterrent, considering he takes the Marth plot for him/herself, the fact that YOU are in the game as an overpowered Mary Sue is quite irritating. The rest may be nice features I will admit that, I just don't like the avatar at all and I personally find myself replaying FE3 over 11/12

I never had any problem with my unit aside from him being pretty boring. I don't recall him being all that important to the main plot. I can only recall one moment where he gets the whole army away from Hardin and that part was off screen.

this isn't FE13, the avatar here doesn't register in the plot at all past prologue (and i guess 16x)

Edited by shadykid

You don't have to think of the avatar as YOU if you'd rather not. Think of them as some dude and find some other way to rationalize what they do.

This is why I prefer the term My Unit to Avatar. I like to think of them as a character I create and not as an avatar of myself.

I agree with this so much.

Anyway, yeah, I would play the DS remakes. While Shadow Dragon isn't the most interesting Fire Emblem game, (it's hard to hate, being a remake of a classic, after all, but the remake doesn't do a whole lot to fix certain shortcomings), New Mystery is amazing. I don't think I've played through any Fire Emblem title all over again so quickly after finishing it for the first time. This second run was on Hard mode, no less, which was an exciting challenge. You can also play on Maniac or Lunatic if you want a difficulty level that will drive you up the wall.