Which do you prefer to buy stuff with, Cash or credit?

Gold Vanguard

Your choice for buying goods.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Choices.

cash because when you aren't buying things you could always have a small money bath

I laughed in spite of myself

(debit here)

Edited by Rehab

I prefer cash in person, but sometimes I don't have all the cash I need on me. I do enjoy the usefulness of a debit card, especially when it comes to online purchases.

debit or credit, but for small purchases I feel bad about the fees that the stores have to pay to those companies so I try to use cash. Otherwise I stick with credit over debit over cash most of the time because i was trained by a bank account that only had 10 interac purchases a month, so I got used to just using my credit card most of the time.

Cash or debit. Interest rates can bite me. Also, I feel that having physical money in my pocket tends to make me spend less ("Oh poo poo I only have 20$ left...") than using debit/credit ("How much did I have in my account again? Eh, probably enough.").

The question was cash or CREDIT. I have a debit card but i never use it. I usually use either my Amex card or Discover since I rack up points on various purchases and use said points for cash into my account. Also I carry with me about $120 cash in my pocket, not because I need to but because I keep forgetting to deposit it. Also I am in the market for a house so I need to keep my credit as high as possible. Trust me once you turn 18... GET A CREDIT CARD and use it right to help build credit for the future :B):

I rarely use cash, don't have a credit card, use debit a lot. I hate the bulk of change, especially because I usually wear slim-fit/skinny jeans/chinos. Also it's like 10 times quicker.

I don't really see the point in getting a credit card, to be honest. If you can buy everything through debit, why use credit?

I don't have credit (well technically speaking I do but I lost my card somewhere inside my own house o_O), but I use my debit card for most purchases. With debit I always know that at least I'm only spending money I already have. I have a little bit of change for the vending machines at school but I rarely have bills.

I rarely use cash, don't have a credit card, use debit a lot. I hate the bulk of change, especially because I usually wear slim-fit/skinny jeans/chinos. Also it's like 10 times quicker.

I don't really see the point in getting a credit card, to be honest. If you can buy everything through debit, why use credit?

While I agree, don't care much for the idea of the fees and generally find the idea of debit a lot more efficient, I've occasionally heard it suggested that one makes minor purchases with a credit card just for the sake of grinding one's way to a serviceable credit rating. Exactly how important that is, and even exactly what one would need to do for it, I'm not sure.

Josef dude if the question doesn't include debit when enough people use it to respond to the question, maybe it's the question's fault

Edited by Rehab

Josef dude if the question doesn't include debit when enough people use it to respond to the question, maybe it's the question's fault

No the question says CREDIT it's the people's fault!!! :P lol

Debit is as good as cash since it is a direct payment from your account. If you're reckless and don't keep track of you spending, it could lead to an overdraft, account at negative. Not all credit cards have fees. None of mine have fees, I never paid anything other than what I owed. The good thing about a credit card is that you pay at the end of the month and it helps build(maintain) a good credit rating.

If you look at credit cards as "ooh free money just make minimum payments" then interest wow and stuff so I see why a lot of you don't like it. But if you look at credit cards as "debit with a little delay in the withdrawal of funds from the account" or in other words pay it off each month, it's somewhat better than debit, especially if your checking account has fees for pos interactions after a certain number. Even if there are no fees for your checking account and no monthly/annual fees on your credit card, it's still better to use credit cards if you have a half-decent interest rate at your bank. You get an extra 10 to 20 days of that money in your checking/savings account. And even without that, you still push all your payments to the next paycheck instead of the earlier one, so there's that. And are there better rewards from credit cards? I think recently some debit cards have started doing cashback rewards, not sure, but for a long time there credit cards were the only way to get stuff like free plane rides.

And there's the question of building up a credit rating so that when you buy a car or a house you might get a better interest rate. If you always intend to lease cars and rent your living place, then I suppose you don't need that credit rating. And there's the question of how do you build credit rating and what actually builds/lowers the thing so I have no idea if paying your card off each month helps you or not.

I tend to overuse 20 dollar bills for any kind of purchase.

A friend of mine was flabbergasted that I once had 35 dollars worth of small change in my wallet and still playing with greens.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

I have a debit card, but I like paying with cash a lot more. It's better, IMO, to actually see how much money you physically have because when you use debit too much it gets awkward and annoying when you're like "oh there's only like $50 left in here, there was $200 last time I checked". I'm a bit frivolous ;/

I'm the kind of person who carries a giant wad of cash in their pocket. I always have to peel off my bills and give them to the cashier, or pay in spare change. My philosophy is that if you don't physically have the money, than you shouldn't be spending more than you have. Even if you know you're going to get paid later that month and can pay off your credit. You never know what's going to happen.