Limit Break is a terrible skill

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what happens when you fight a Streetpass team which has Limit Break equipped, when you don't have the DLC yourself?

As far as I know the skill is invisible (it just appears as Outrealm Skill or whatever), but the stats remain.

Limit Break "breaks" the game, yeah, and I don't like how R&R3 & TSON are practically unbeatable without it, but so what?

If you could even be using Limit Breaker, you should be capping most of your stats, and a team of units like that shouldn't have any trouble with any DLC not named TSON. That's how you accumulate a team's worth of Limit Breaker scrolls in the first place: by repeatedly rushing R&R3 with non-Limit Breaker units. It's not like it's much harder than R&R1, if at all.

If you could even be using Limit Breaker, you should be capping most of your stats, and a team of units like that shouldn't have any trouble with any DLC not named TSON. That's how you accumulate a team's worth of Limit Breaker scrolls in the first place: by repeatedly rushing R&R3 with non-Limit Breaker units. It's not like it's much harder than R&R1, if at all.

well to be fair, after the first run through you can add Limit Break to a unit and watch them solo the map while paired up with anyone else

point taken though, Limit Break is only necessary for TSON or is it

well to be fair, after the first run through you can add Limit Break to a unit and watch them solo the map while paired up with anyone else

point taken though, Limit Break is only necessary for TSON or is it

Only the harder path. The Normal Path you'll be fine with characters at least close to caps(assuming you've got a couple Rally Bots, Vengeance,Luna,Astra on characters and Forged/Legendary Weapons and Fortify Healers) so at the very least you can unlock Katarina without needing Limit Breaker.

For example if they lowered the enemies stats by 10 points like Søren suggested, it'd actually drop the enemy units like the Generals in the first wave below their stat caps.

Edited by arvilino

Only the harder path. The Normal Path you'll be fine with characters at least close to caps(assuming you've got a couple Rally Bots, Vengeance,Luna,Astra on characters and Forged/Legendary Weapons and Fortify Healers) so at the very least you can unlock Katarina without needing Limit Breaker.

you see, i am talking about clearing it on the harder path cool.gif

For example if they lowered the enemies stats by 10 points like Søren suggested, it'd actually drop the enemy units like the Generals in the first wave below their stat caps.

Defeating the Strongest One is what matters to me.

That's...kinda lame, actually. I want to fight all maxed enemies, with progressively nastier skills. Dragonskin, Vantage+, two Breaker skills, and one special skill on all enemies. Pavise+ on Generals, Aegis+ on Paladins, Luna+ on Great Knights, Hawkeye on Snipers, Astra+ on Swordmasters, etc. Heck, with the exception of Lethality, all of their skills should always activate. I want them to Rally like their lives depend on it. Bring on the forged effective, Superior, and Brave weapons! Fortify staves and Elixers to heal all the enemies! Manakete Morgan will feast on their hearts!

...Sorry, what were we talking about?

You DO know you need to beat R&R3 to GET the skill, right?

Look man. I'm aware of that after re-reading my post.

Please dont call me out like that -_- , it really makes me feel like a retard.

Edited by The Masque of Barona

R&R3 was remarkably not that hard. I went into it with overkill (capped Sorcerer Avatar with max-forged Aversa's Night paired with her daughter, a full support Lucina with Brave Lance), but I also brought a capped Nowi along to cover Chrom and Nowi basically took no damage from anything and dodged all the tomes despite not having Tomebreaker like Avatar did. She could've probably soloed it herself.

Somewhat moot at this point I guess.

Yeah, for all it was hyped up to be, RaR3 was...not that hard. I just had Chrom/Avatar/Lucina/Morgan capped, Chrom/Avatar paired up and taking care of the right hand side with Avatar as a Sorcerer and Lucina and Morgan mopping up the south and left hand side with Morgan as a Sorcerer. Lucky Seven really alleviated the hit issues and the map was done long before the hit/avoid bonuses expired.

For what it's worth, I had more trouble with 1 and 2 since I felt like I had to rush to make sure all my allies didn't die.

I let all my allies die in 1 and 2. I function best without.

...do you get anything special for letting any/many live?

Okay, I guess look at it this way: The balance issue at the core is overcentralization - when a single choice is so broken that the value of every other choice is measured against it. I know, I know. FE13 is 99.9% a single-player game effectively. Balance is less important here than in other games. I get that. But the reality is that the game is giving you a boatload of choices of skills that you could be using, then essentially creating one skill soes immensely powerful that either A) you have it and your power is drastically increased, or B) you don't have it and you're forever far weaker than you could be.

I know, I know. People bring up Galeforce. As cool as Galeforce is though people are realising it's not the uber skill it's often thought of as - for one, it is only during the player phase, and for two, it's basically null on a Spotpass team because if a unit were to get a kill your 'opponent' would restart anyway. Nevermind the part where not everyone can get Galeforce - Galeforce is, ultimately, not an 'automatic' in building the strongest units possible, but just a highly favourable option. That's how it's different from Limit Breaker.

There's a lot of ways to break the game in Fire Emblem games, and a lot of really powerful choices - but it's very, very rare than any single choice is "If you don't use this your power is dropping dramatically" (MAYBE the closest thing would be Seth in FE8 IF you're insistant on ignoring non-main-game events/purchases. Maybe.) Within the bounds of FE13 and creating strong teams, either you have limit break or you don't and the power difference is huge.

Edited by Tormod

It's also worth noting that the argument "It's a tradeoff!" holds basically no water. Every skill is a tradeoff, in that you can only have five total because that's how many slots you have. Using any skill denies the use of any other skill in that slot, and using some group of five skills denies being able to use any others since you're full.

The problem with Limit Breaker is it's basically arguable that it is by far the best option in all circumstances, because there is never a time when you wouldn't want to have +10 to all stats and there are basically no combinations of 5 skills that are going to be better than that, even in highly specialized build circumstances (I can design an awesome support unit with movement/support skills, but Limit Breaker is STILL going to be on that list because I want the extra STR/MAG/SKL/DEF/RES).

The one exception I can see (aside from "I'm not grinding and thus will never even hit most caps") is when you happen to know that regular capped stats are "good enough" to beat a map. And technically I suppose this is the case for most 1-3 star DLC maps and certainly everything in the main storyline. But that just basically makes the argument Nowi's capped stats level-up quote: You're so strong you don't actually need to bother trying. You're still going to use skills, and those skills + capped stats are still going to curbstomp the map. But of all the ways that would curbstomp, really only Limit Breaker helps curbstomp faster and more reliably. It can turn 2HKOs with crap weapons into clean 1HKOs for example, and it serves as a pseudo-Rightful King for activation skills thanks to the extra SKL. To say nothing of having +10 more SPD, DEF, and RES. So the circumstances where it isn't "necessary," it's still basically the best.

I kinda see where the OP is coming from.LB really is so good that it is going to be chosen. And if it's readily available and you can be asked to do R&R3 a bunch, there's no way you wont use it. If you're given an ultimate way of dealing with an obstacle, you're gonna use it. And even if you challenge yourself not to, it's like "Eh, whatever. I can just get (ultimate method insert here) and try again" if you fail.

That said, LB doesn't come into use until Late-to-post game when your team's already superhero material. By then only the most difficult maps will challenge you.

In the end I'd say that it kinda makes things more boring (I could get a cool attack skill, but LB is so good I just gotta include it and that cool attack is gonna get cut), but it's not too big a deal.

because this is worth repeating:

Let me go ahead and translate that for you.

OP:This is an opinion that I have. I put it on a forum, which is what they are there for, to have a discussion about it.

dondon:No one cares about your opinion.

yes... worth repeating...

This topics title could have been chosen better, but I'm not so sure he deserved that...

I'd like Limit Break better if it did more than just increase the caps. "OTL Why couldn't it raise my stats by 10 at the same time? It took bloody forever to get everyone to Level 20 due to all the Reclassing I've done, and I'm not looking forward to hours of grinding EXPonential Growth to get back to 20. :| Man, why couldn't Stat-Boosting items and/or Rift Doors be more easily available? Limit Break doesn't seem that useful to me anymore. "OTL

You know, at that stage, it'd probably be quicker to grind LB3 or something than EXPonential Growth.

EXPonential Growth falls off incredibly quickly, actually. Especially so if the character lacks Galeforce (you'll get at most 3-4 kills per run with them). You should pretty much be grinding LB3 as soon as it's possible to do so. Alternately, grind R&R3 for more Limit Breakers, but R&R3 has Jaffar with Lethality and Linus with Counter so it's a bit more annoying (I don't think anybody in LB3 has Counter, or if they do the way the flow of enemies works they never use it on you).

EXPonential Growth falls off incredibly quickly, actually. Especially so if the character lacks Galeforce (you'll get at most 3-4 kills per run with them). You should pretty much be grinding LB3 as soon as it's possible to do so. Alternately, grind R&R3 for more Limit Breakers, but R&R3 has Jaffar with Lethality and Linus with Counter so it's a bit more annoying (I don't think anybody in LB3 has Counter, or if they do the way the flow of enemies works they never use it on you).

Yeah, LB3 is safer to grind mainly because the enemies are much weaker and there are indeed no enemies with Counter running around there. And at that stage of training, everything's giving 16 EXP per kill with Paragon; why make it harder on yourself by going to RaR3 instead?

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Yeah, LB3 is safer to grind mainly because the enemies are much weaker and there are indeed no enemies with Counter running around there. And at that stage of training, everything's giving 16 EXP per kill with Paragon; why make it harder on yourself by going to RaR3 instead?

If you don't have enough Limit Breaker scrolls yet, is all. Otherwise LB3 has more enemies and a campable fort.