Good trolls?

Junkhead

Do you think it's possible to troll people with actually decent content, other than you know, the usual attempt to try to piss someone off with silly things like poorly-thought insults, macro-images, overly-sarcastic remarks, etc? :Kappa:

I thought a "good troll" could manage to get people a good laugh after making someone momentarily mad. :awesome:

Well if you look at it that way then I guess it would be a "good troll". When you see trolls you mostly see ones that just enrage you while others just have you laughing because of their ridiculousness or idiocy. This sounds more like an inconsistant troll.

The concept of "troll" depends on different points of view. If somebody doesn't view himself/herself or somebody else as trolls, there is no way to convince them about the contrary. It's like in criminal proceedings, where no matter what evidence do you present, the lawyer will always say his client was convicted "without a shred of proof".

And don't tell me that what I just said is trolling smile.gif

I don't think I see a particularly interesting reason to evaluate the success of "an effort to try to get a negative reaction out of somebody" by any other metric than "the type and intensity of the reaction produced," whatever that's actually worth aside. Somebody who can make you laugh while insulting you, on the other hand, just sounds to me like what I'd call "a particular sort of clever person."

perhaps pointing something like "what in the world dude? get a life" to a troller can troll them. I mean, we don't point sarcasm, jokes or insults but it somehow works.

Know who was a good troll?

Oedipus.

Killed his father, married his mother. Who else does that

His tomb was like good luck though, so yea he derped and wrecked a civilization, then was like hey guys I'm chill, here I'll be your lucky dead guy

Athens seems over it now, or sonething

Edited by Elieson

Man that's not cool, the poor dude was oblivious to it the whole time and tore out his own eyes in horror on learning what he did

Man that's not cool, the poor dude was oblivious to it the whole time and tore out his own eyes in horror on learning what he did

But everyone is cool with it now

The concept of "troll" depends on different points of view. If somebody doesn't view himself/herself or somebody else as trolls, there is no way to convince them about the contrary. It's like in criminal proceedings, where no matter what evidence do you present, the lawyer will always say his client was convicted "without a shred of proof".

And don't tell me that what I just said is trolling smile.gif

The happy face makes it that much funnier.

Oedipus.

His tomb was like good luck though, so yea he derped and wrecked a civilization, then was like hey guys I'm chill, here I'll be your lucky dead guy

Wrong, destiny trolled him instead.

Troll is a meaningless buzzword nowadays, because most people nowadays use it to denote anybody they happen to disagree with.

No, no, I don't care call someone a "troll" just because they disagree with me, so that factor is completely out of question. I mean actual trolls, or poor attempts at them. You know, those guys that try to hit your nerve buttons and tend to do so poorly at it.

No, no, I don't care call someone a "troll" just because they disagree with me, so that factor is completely out of question. I mean actual trolls, or poor attempts at them. You know, those guys that try to hit your nerve buttons and tend to do so poorly at it.

That seems to be the most common use of the word these days anyway.

Trolling is supposed to be exposing somebody's faults or contradictory features by means of provocation. A person is forced out of their comfort zone and gives themselves out. Here's an example of trolling, though I could think of better ones if I felt like it:

And if somebody tries to annoy on first glance but doesn't succeed, maybe they're just joking around? Like my friends say a lot of things to me that I would consider inflammatory if they were foreign people to me, but I know exactly what they mean.

Good trolls successfully exploit your emotions. The best trolls exploit true emotions like Espinosa said instead of annoying others like a bug buzzing in the ear. It is up to the trolled party to laugh and learn from the experience or not.

Exploiting others with good intent is called a Zero Approval Gambit.

Edited by Makaze

anyone who willingly describes themselves as a troll is inherently terrible

Or insane, or any other number of negative adjectives.

Good trolls successfully exploit your emotions. The best trolls exploit true emotions like Espinosa said instead of annoying others like a bug buzzing in the ear. It is up to the trolled party to laugh and learn from the experience or not.

Exploiting others with good intent is called a Zero Approval Gambit.

You linked to TVTropes and you still expect your argument to have any credibility?

You linked to TVTropes and you still expect your argument to have any credibility?

I wouldn't have linked to TVTropes if it were a part of an argument. I claimed that exploiting others with good intent fits the definition. The credibility of that claim should be judged based on the definition. If what I described did not fall under the definition, that and only that would undermine the credibility of the claim. Last time I checked, classification was not an argument for or against anything but the classification. It was also a non sequitur afterthought, which is why it had its own paragraph in my post and why it had no connection to the rest of what I said.

You cherry pick and appeal to authority on definitions of all things and you still expect your attempt at ridicule to have any credibility?

In short, yes. I expect others to be more mature than you imply.

Edited by Makaze

Oedipus.

Now that was a good troll. XD

anyone who willingly describes themselves as a troll is inherently terrible

Aaand we have a winner. Why exploit people in the first place?

Play BlazBlue.

Sees Hazama (The King of Trolls).

Betcha at least 5 people are gonna be like "Hazama's not a troll, just som overrated insane guy" or something.