3D on the 3DS

Fruity Insanity

3D on the 3DS  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do the games (in general) look 3D?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If you don't think that the 3D doesn't look 3D, then to what degree do you think of it as?

• I think it all looks 3D.
    • I think most of it looks 3D.
    • I think some of it looks 3D.
    • I think just a bit of it looks 3D.
    • I think none of it looks 3D.
  3. 3. Does the camera (with 3D on, of course) look 3D?

• Yes.
    • No.

Okay, so I was *cough cough* sort of *cough cough* arguing with my brother as to whether the 3D on the 3DS looks, er, 3D.

I was saying, yes, it does.

He disagreed.

I mean, I get the hunch that he expects the 3D to come out to him. (Like at IMAX theaters.)

But there's more than one type of 3D.

Also, this is Nintendo's first attempt at something like this.

Give them more time, and it'll become better.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Does the 3D on the 3DS look 3D?

Or does it not?

(I just wanted to prove my brother wrong show him that the general public would think that it's, indeed, 3D.

On a side note, he did say that some stuff looked 3D.

Like the title screen of EO4, Swapnote, and a few other things.

But generally, he was like, "You call this 3D?" "This isn't 3D!" "Heh, this doesn't look 3D at all."

Also, he says the 3D camera doesn't look 3D either...

I think it does.

It just doesn't match his view of 3D.

And he hates when something doesn't fit his view and his view alone, so... ._.

*sigh*

So naive...

Edited by FranticforFreeFruityFruit

Well, depending on the game it either adds depth or pops things out. Or both. But, like, yeah, it's 3D. I love Liberation Maiden's 3D by the way.

It has a 3D effect. It is wildly variable to what effect, even within different games. There are some instances I've noted in a few games --Fire Emblem included-- where either out of laziness or oversight certain portions are too far...I don't know how to describe it, "3D-ified"? I'm not amazingly educated on precisely how the effect operates, just the general method. But in any event, the effect I'm talking about is almost as if you could just keep turning up the 3D slider. It loses the 3D effect because your eyes can't get the picture, like trying to concentrate on a finger that's touching the bridge of your nose.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

It never looks particularly 3D to me, at least of what I've played. Mostly to my eyes it just makes the games look darker more pixelated. The 3D effect to me, when it does work, looks like those books with the paper things that pop out. Everything is flat, but on different planes. So, in that way, it makes the actual objects look less 3D, even if the background is pretty 3D. I have the same problem with 3D movies, though. I suppose in that way it's the same "3D," but I really don't enjoy either one.

I sort of see "depth" but it's like... this is what they mean by 3D? For an entire system gimmick, it really just makes it look slightly off rather than an amazing effect. It looks more like they pulled the background back some, rather than actually seeing depth.

Well, you also have to keep in mind that everyone's eyes are different too. I've heard that some people are unable to see the 3D at all. I can just fine, with or without my glasses, but still.

I think the 3D looks 3D enough and Nintendo did an excellent job for a first attempt, not to mention they're the first to make a camera that can take 3D pictures. I love them guys. x3

I think it looks quite 3D. I was rather amazed when I first saw it. Keep in mind it's glasses-free and this is relatively new, technology wise (or at least was when it started). Also, 3D can pop in or out, depending on the game/graphic. When it does pop-out, it's pretty damn realistic--I get that urge to try and touch it because it looks like I can (and often I can't resist the urge because it looks so real). When it's depth, it feels more like I'm immersed in the world.

I know 3D gives some people headaches easily and others have a hard time seeing it or getting it to see it easily though, so it's not for everyone. But for me I can use it for a while without headaches (EVENTUALLY it does get tiring but so do video games in general) and I'm so used to holding it I can be on my side or whatever and still see it fine. =)

Well, you also have to keep in mind that everyone's eyes are different too. I've heard that some people are unable to see the 3D at all.

I'm probably one of these people. It might depend on the game.

I sort of see "depth" but it's like... this is what they mean by 3D? For an entire system gimmick, it really just makes it look slightly off rather than an amazing effect. It looks more like they pulled the background back some, rather than actually seeing depth.

Totally agree. Although I was genuinely wowed by the AR cards and the little games you could play. Those were genuinely quite immersive and what I thought the 3DS was going to be shooting for. Alas.

It looks 3D to me. But keep in mind that a lot of Nintendo's older 3DS games utilized the 3D a little too heavily. Take Ocarina of Time 3D, for example. That was one of the 3DS' major early releases (other than maybe Pilotwings and Cave Story 3D) that really laid on the 3D thick. You turn on the 3D, it actually hurts to look at after awhile. By the time Starfox 64 3D came out, they had dumbed down the 3D just enough to be looked at in a 3D sense without hurting your eyes. It definitely had its rough start with that glaring problem, but at least they fixed it. And now everything works just fine, if you ask me.

Some games really push the 3D and others don't, so the results vary wildly from situation to situation. However it's impossible to deny that in some instances the 3D can assist with gameplay in a noticeable way. PushMo, Paper Mario and Super Mario 3D Land are two games I can think of where I will turn on 3D and have a significant gameplay enhancement. And games like Ocarina of Time 3D go crazy with the effects though it doesn't particular add to the gameplay. But except for the people who have eye problems, the pop-out effect of the screens is pretty noticeable when it's on and on a case-by-case basis you can see the degree that the 3D gets used. It might not be as extreme as big budget popcorn flicks at the theatre, but the depth effect is basically the Pixar strategy of 3D so it doesn't become distracting.

If I really want to wow myself with the 3D, the AR card games are pretty nuts. If I want to be entirely underwhelmed and maybe a little upset at the laziness, Tales of the Abyss rarely even applies 3D to the game, because none of the anime cutscenes or even that nice shattering glass effect has any 3D at all.

Well most of the ports lack 3D. Devil Survivor only had 3D during the opening cutscene. Lame.

Though I will say that if it were between 3D effects and keeping voiced lines throughout the game, I'd obviously pick the latter. 3D's felt like a gimmick since square one to me, and when compromising it's easily one of the first things I'd be willing to let go of.

Yeah, I enjoyed Tales of the Abyss, but the lack of 3D was somewhat disappointing anyway. It seemed like it would maybe have been better as a PSP or Vita title, since it made so little use of the 3DS's unique features. It's easy to pick on those early ports for giving people a bad impression of the system's capabilities compared to the excellent titles coming out now.

• 2 weeks later...