I watched Iron Man 3 (spoiler alert)

Junkhead

I found that movie to be fantastic. I don't read comics, so I am too casual to nitpick things that are out-of-place or sway too much from the original.

Anyway, I was wondering...is The Mandarin a fake in the original adaptations as well? I can't say I'm exactly dissapointed (it was actually all a hilarious moment, actually), but before they showed that part, his character was so well-played it actually imposed fear. It was really cool.

Also, as usual, Tony's constant sarcastic remarks kept me rofl'ing throughout the whole movie.

10/10

Wait, how did you see it? It's not supposed to be out until the 3rd. o_O

The movie's already out in most of the world.

Ah, sort of ninja'd.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Wow, I can't wait for this. Going on Friday with my buds. The one thing I don't understand is, why are they calling War Machine the "Iron Patriot?"

So I went and saw it earlier today. The least memorable Iron Man to date. I'd give it 6/10.

I was disappointed with the final product. Don't get me wrong, it was good to watch and I enjoyed it overall. I just feel it didn't live up to all the hype that it received.

A few nitpicks (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled):

The enemy (or should I say enemies) are not who (or what) I was expecting. Seemingly generic, unimportant humans with the same ability as a result of the Extremis virus thing; flame/heat powers and able to heal their damaged bodies. This is what I was most unimpressed with. The fact that these nameless enemies were capable of hurting Iron Man and fucking up his suits more than fucking Thor was just...why. They got fucked up and ripped apart like cardboard.

Mandarin being fake was also a rather big disappointment. No 10 rings of power in sight. The film's just filled with villains as mentioned above. Some of the worst "main" villains I've ever seen in a movie. The final battle was just a massive orgy of Iron Man suits killing humans infected with Extremis. If someone could explain to me why all these infected people felt obliged to help try and kill Tony throughout the film after receiving the virus as opposed to just living the rest of their lives in relative peace (albeit with super heat and healing powers), it'd be appreciated.

I also did not laugh even half as much as I did compared to either of the previous Iron Man or Avengers movies.

So yeah, overall a disappointment, if I must be honest.

I also didn't like how the generics were so overpowered they could give Iron Man and Iron Patriot a fight if they didn't know what's coming. But if you think of it, it's actually cool that generic enemies aren't awful and completely useless as they tend to be in most stories. The ending boss was also pretty overpowered.

Reguarding the other robots getting torn up and beaten up like that would have to be because Tony made them with very little time and in mass. You know, quantity above quality as the time required it.

The part where they reveal the truth about The Mandarin isn't so bad, as they at least did a good job in covering it with a nice comical scene.

However, I have to admit that the end boss' reasoning behind all that was pretty lame and cliché.

Edited by Juliet

I'm currently considering about watching the movie, but I checked the review on a site and the results were, not so motivational...

I want to know if the movie is worth my money or not, because I don't want to waste my money on a shitty movie.

Dude, the movie is actually pretty great, unless you happen to be a hardcore Marvel comic fan or a critic. It's mostly small details that make people dislike it, and another one that's actually alot less dissapointing given the circumstances.

If someone could explain to me why all these infected people felt obliged to help try and kill Tony throughout the film after receiving the virus as opposed to just living the rest of their lives in relative peace (albeit with super heat and healing powers), it'd be appreciated.

Extremis was able to rewrite the brain's programming so I just assumed that he programmed the generics to want to kill Tony (not sure if that's actually why though).

Iron Man dork ahoy boyos (>^0^)>

I'll say first off that I loved the film even though it wasn't a very faithful adaptation of the bits they took, because they put them together fairly well. I definitely liked it more than 2, but I can't decide whether I like it more than 1.

is The Mandarin a fake in the original adaptations as well? I can't say I'm exactly dissapointed (it was actually all a hilarious moment, actually), but before they showed that part, his character was so well-played it actually imposed fear. It was really cool.

No, in the comics the Mandarin was never a fake, which is why if you were a prior fan of the series before going into this one you would have been even more floored. In the comics he was originally a fairly stereotypical mystical Chinese guy with a Fu manchu, who had his ten magical rings of power that let him fuck with Tony's shit. Over time he changed over to a more maniacal scientist-businessman kind of guy, but he's always kind of been Tony's arch nemesis.

I kept expecting him to drop the facade and reveal it all to be an act, even though it wouldn't exactly have been very Mandarin of him to act that way it would still fit his genius. I guess they've finally come to the conclusion that Mandarin is just too stereotypical a character, I guess?

The enemy (or should I say enemies) are not who (or what) I was expecting. Seemingly generic, unimportant humans with the same ability as a result of the Extremis virus thing; flame/heat powers and able to heal their damaged bodies. This is what I was most unimpressed with. The fact that these nameless enemies were capable of hurting Iron Man and fucking up his suits more than fucking Thor was just...why. They got fucked up and ripped apart like cardboard.

Spoilers for the Extremis arc which this was largely taken from. It's not too long and you can find it online if you look, I definitely recommend checking it out if you get the time:

This is in line with the Extremis virus in the original arc it was featured in. It gives superhuman strength, speed, immunity to sickness, increased reflexes, etc. It also makes recipients more prone to aggressive outbursts. What it does not do is give them fire breathing or the ability to heat their body up like that. They also wouldn't blow up, and when they were transformed there was no light like that but a coccoon that would form and encase them for a day or so. In the comic Tony was actually quite nearly killed when he ran into Mallen, who looked rather strikingly like the victim that we see explode and nearly kill Happy near the beginning of the movie. Anyways, Mallen gets into a confrontation with Tony and crushes his hand into bits, punches a hole straight through his armor and into Tony's stomach, he was basically mortally wounded. So he decided to undergo the Extremis process himself or die from his wounds, and it ends up working.

Afterwards he creates a suit to interface with the virus that has now transformed him, called the Extremis suit. The suit that we see throughout much of the film (I didn't like the look of it, really), behaves somewhat like the Extremis suit did, but on a less grandiose scale. In the comic he can control all the pieces of the suit telepathically and can mentally control electronic communications stuff like satellites, cameras, etc.

If someone could explain to me why all these infected people felt obliged to help try and kill Tony throughout the film after receiving the virus as opposed to just living the rest of their lives in relative peace (albeit with super heat and healing powers), it'd be appreciated.

Not really clear. I think it might have been stated by what's-her-face when she was talking about Killian needing her for his personal army something about need for continual medication or something? I know that wasn't in the comic, but the virus also made people homicidal so it could be handwaved that he was just putting them into situations where they were able to kill people or something.

I also didn't like how the generics were so overpowered they could give Iron Man and Iron Patriot a fight if they didn't know what's coming. But if you think of it, it's actually cool that generic enemies aren't awful and completely useless as they tend to be in most stories. The ending boss was also pretty overpowered.

I think the only overpowered ability they have is to shut down the suits by overloading them. That wasn't in the comic and rightly so, that's a bullshit special power that shouldn't exist.

I'm currently considering about watching the movie, but I checked the review on a site and the results were, not so motivational...

I want to know if the movie is worth my money or not, because I don't want to waste my money on a shitty movie.

The movie was intense, funny, and quite entertaining from beginning to end. It didn't have lulls like 2 and it didn't waste an overly long amount of time moving from scene to scene. I highly recommend you check it out if you like Iron Man, because it was badass as fuck.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Dude, the movie is actually pretty great, unless you happen to be a hardcore Marvel comic fan or a critic. It's mostly small details that make people dislike it, and another one that's actually alot less dissapointing given the circumstances.

Point taken, some movies with bad reviews weren't that bad after all.

The movie was intense, funny, and quite entertaining from beginning to end. It didn't have lulls like 2 and it didn't waste an overly long amount of time moving from scene to scene. I highly recommend you check it out if you like Iron Man, because it was badass as fuck.

Well, if it's better than the 2nd I'll definitely check it out.

And the Marvel+movie-nerd's review I watched of it came close to call it (and might have indeed gone so far as to say it outright was) a better film than either of the other two, and in light of being a sequel to both the Avengers and IM2 at once, that much better on top of everything. Go figure.

Edited by Rehab

I saw this movie with my friends at a theatre with super nice super comfortable seats and great sound and a giant screen and it was soooo worth it so people couldn't hear my sad, ragged coughing through the movie :>

Personally I enjoyed the mooks even though it really doesn't make sense that random people can mess up Stark's suit that badly when a GOD could not. Some of the "drama" bits could have been handled better but this is primarily an action/comedy. But still, whenever Stark had an anxiety attack, those were the parts where I really didn't "feel" it. But the action was cool and there was some really good banter so I got what I came to see. The Mandarin reveal was unexpected but they knocked the scenario out of the park in my opinion. I am not well versed in Marvel comics at all so I pretty much had zero expectations formed before seeing the movie, though.

After credits zinger was amazing and worth sticking around for.

Pepper has a suit in the comics.

It's called RESCUE.

Am aware of that

Was more referring to extremis!Pepper beating the shit out of Killian at the end because yes

And then reverting and was like "well that was very violent"

After credits zinger was amazing and worth sticking around for.

Now I'll have to watch it again, damn. Mom and I went Friday night, but we left the theatre to go home because it was busy out.

I really liked the scene where Tony used the suit to save Pepper from the explosion. It was really sweet. The comedy bits between Tony and Harley were pretty funny too.

Am aware of that

Was more referring to extremis!Pepper beating the shit out of Killian at the end because yes

And then reverting and was like "well that was very violent"

That was actually the only part of the movie I really didn't like. I thought the entire fight was great, the end for Killian using the suit was just amazing, a perfect end for a bad guy.

Tony should report Pepper she's a total kill stealer he needs that xp man